Who likes to smoke their meat?

On Walt's point about the thermometer, get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718

Monitor grill and meat temp remotely, with alarms you can set for hi/lo.
Especially useful for overnight smokes.

that's a great probe, most enthusiast I talk to get the ET series
for the serious folks, must get a Pitmaste IQ with the fan controls (I'll get this with my next smoker)
https://pitmasteriq.com

iQue-on-kettle_medium.png

IMG_20170611_150158.jpg

Original plan was smoke some baby backs yesterday, so I prepped and seasoned them Friday night. My Saturday AM car repair tur Ed into an all day/finish it the next day thing, so the ribs got postponed until today. Hope that a 30 hour rub isn't going to impact anything. I did have some down time to make Cole slaw yesterday, and the Mrs. Is currently making potato salad.

250 on the nose, let's see how long I can maintain.

IMG_20170611_150128.jpg

Not bad, forgot to take a picture of the rack before I cut it up. One end was a little overdone but I guess that's not too surprising given it was an uneven rack and my first try. I need to get the hang of controlling the grill temp. It never spiked on me but it dropped down to 200 a few times. Or maybe I need to get a smoker, but I think I'm jumping the gun there!

IMG_20170611_192241.jpg

Hope that a 30 hour rub isn't going to impact anything
If there is salt in your rub, I'd be worried about it drying the meat out.
I have heard both sides of the argument, and err on the side of rubbing just before putting the meat on.

Congrats, and no, you aren't jumping the gun- get a smoker! ;)

Not bad, forgot to take a picture of the rack before I cut it up. One end was a little overdone but I guess that's not too surprising given it was an uneven rack and my first try. I need to get the hang of controlling the grill temp. It never spiked on me but it dropped down to 200 a few times. Or maybe I need to get a smoker, but I think I'm jumping the gun there!

View attachment 53142
nice smoke ring on the first shot
how long was it on the grill and did you let it rest before carving.

If there is salt in your rub, I'd be worried about it drying the meat out.
I have heard both sides of the argument, and err on the side of rubbing just before putting the meat on.

Congrats, and no, you aren't jumping the gun- get a smoker! ;)

Yes there was salt in it. I hesitated before rubbing but decided to just go with it. Will definitely wait next time.

nice smoke ring on the first shot
how long was it on the grill and did you let it rest before carving.

Nice. A little over 4 hours total time, and duh I forgot to let it rest. Not sure why that didn't occur to me.

I need to find a nice brick or 2 also, I didn't have time to get something suitable for inside the grill.

I need to find a nice brick or 2 also, I didn't have time to get something suitable for inside the grill.
Call around at stone/brick supply places, I picked up some fire bricks when I was modding an offset unit.

Reactions: rlb
Smoking a 10lb. butt tomorrow. Really don't want to wake up at the crack of dawn. Anyone have success smoking at 275? I usually stay near 225, but I'm pretty sure that will take too long.

Smoking a 10lb. butt tomorrow. Really don't want to wake up at the crack of dawn. Anyone have success smoking at 275? I usually stay near 225, but I'm pretty sure that will take too long.
10 isn't so big, you can cook at higher temps after you wrap ala texas wedge style to cut some time, however I don't suggest for the the first 2-3 hrs though. Make sure you have a probe near the bone and when wrapped can go to 300 or more if the meat stalls. I've had a butt stall for 5 hrs once, didn't make the dinner table that day. Good luck and keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom