Who likes to smoke their meat?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok i am joining this party
Which low cost easy to use smoker?
As much as green egg would look on my deck i have a small budget. Webber?

qclabrat

super low budget get a Weber kettle, the big one, but will need a few mods.
if you want to spend a little more go with the Weber Smoky

I have some other ideas, but what and how much do you want to smoke at one time. And would you mind checking every 20 mins or prefer set and go?

ktmrider

I have already been gas free
I have a classic Webber grill
Looking for a dedicated smoker
Like smokey mountain
Go electric ....so much easier especially with the app that you can control temps from your phone ...just blaze and relax
On a side note I cooked ribs on Thursday and 4 people called the sheriff on me thinking there was a forest fire . I wasn't there and he left a note on my trailer . I thought it was funny

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
electric has its appeal - just order up some pucks from amazon, or chips, and away you go -

i'm running the smokey mountain - problem is that ribs don't fit correctly. although it rocks the butt. :eek:

think i'm switching to a side box with a larger, rectangular cooking surface.
something like this - then if i put a metal rack in, to stand them up for more room, the ribs will not need to be bent.
also don't need to deal with the lower deck like the smokey mt.

1cc02a8a-bdaf-44d0-8f0c-694e99962382_1000.jpg

qclabrat

electric has its appeal - just order up some pucks from amazon, or chips, and away you go -

i'm running the smokey mountain - problem is that ribs don't fit correctly. although it rocks the butt. :eek:

think i'm switching to a side box with a larger, rectangular cooking surface.
something like this - then if i put a metal rack in, to stand them up for more room, the ribs will not need to be bent.
also don't need to deal with the lower deck like the smokey mt.

1cc02a8a-bdaf-44d0-8f0c-694e99962382_1000.jpg
there's a decent one from Walmart which has fairly thick metal, but needs some fit to seal better

rick81721

Lothar
Seriously, looking at grills for Florida house. Big green egg vs Kamado Joe seems to be the choice. I like the multi-level feature of the Kamado Joe.

Patrick

Staff member

open flame is 700+ degrees, i agree the ash is also a factor, but smoking meat is the exact opposite -
controlled temps below 100c (otherwise the water boils and you steam the meat)
the wood never "flames" it smolders.
fish is often smoked at 140. Cheese, even lower.

so smoking meat is the best way to avoid cancer. (see how i made the leap there, it may even cure it)

Last edited:

qclabrat

electric if your goal is to just eat
pucks and pellets if you want to pretend that you are smoking
kettles, bullets and offsets for the home enthusiast
box types like Backwoods and Onyx for those looking to compete

if I had only one grill it would be a Weber kettle, so flexible

Patrick

Staff member
electric if your goal is to just eat
pucks and pellets if you want to pretend that you are smoking
kettles, bullets and offsets for the home enthusiast
box types like Backwoods and Onyx for those looking to compete

if I had only one grill it would be a Weber kettle, so flexible

i have the pizza (kettle pizza) attachment, and run that baby up with a stoked wood fire....only thing hotter is a tandor (i think alton brown did this 10 years ago)

but: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

wonder if my smokey mt is the same size as my kettle?

qclabrat

but: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/

wonder if my smokey mt is the same size as my kettle?

I can get 4-5 full racks in the kettle, using a second slightly small round rack raised with a soup can
My friend has the Smokey and has to either cut, stand or roll his racks
Also have those standing rib racks but never used them as they smoke evenly and tend to unevenly cook the slabs

my kettle is set up like #3 using bricks, when the temp needs to be below 250, I'll put in a pan of water above the coals to depress temps
Also have two trays which I never use, as its just one more additional thing to clean

Here's a few choices under 1K
If want really good smoker and size is not paramount,
This is one of the best bang for the buck choices, I considered it for chicken competitions last year, but it's just too small for regular use.
https://www.ssomd.com/red-box-smoker

or this budget one from Backwoods, which is a bit wider and one of my top choices I've narrowed down
They've been using Backwoods for years at the major competitions, smaller version but still cooks very well and wide enough for racks
https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/collections/frontpage/products/chubby-3400

looking for an offset? this is made locally and uses really thick steel, you see this model a lot at local competitions
https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/sq36-offset-barbeque-smoker/#.WTVUYHxtmM8
There used to be a dealer in Garwood, but looks like they shut down

Patrick

Staff member
I can get 4-5 full racks in the kettle, using a second slightly small round rack raised with a soup can
My friend has the Smokey and has to either cut, stand or roll his racks
Also have those standing rib racks but never used them as they smoke evenly and tend to unevenly cook the slabs

my kettle is set up like #3 using bricks, when the temp needs to be below 250, I'll put in a pan of water above the coals to depress temps
Also have two trays which I never use, as its just one more additional thing to clean

Here's a few choices under 1K
If want really good smoker and size is not paramount,
This is one of the best bang for the buck choices, I considered it for chicken competitions last year, but it's just too small for regular use.
https://www.ssomd.com/red-box-smoker

or this budget one from Backwoods, which is a bit wider and one of my top choices I've narrowed down
They've been using Backwoods for years at the major competitions, smaller version but still cooks very well and wide enough for racks
https://www.backwoods-smoker.com/collections/frontpage/products/chubby-3400

looking for an offset? this is made locally and uses really thick steel, you see this model a lot at local competitions
https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/sq36-offset-barbeque-smoker/#.WTVUYHxtmM8
There used to be a dealer in Garwood, but looks like they shut down

Nice collection - just hard to justify for 6x a year.

Maybe we should get @David Taylor or @michael.su to make us one!!!

and my next one needs to have a trailer hitch!
md_n111090.jpg

walter

Fourth Party
I have a Smokey Mountain, it does the job for me. Last weeks baby backs, went just about 4 hours over apple and pecan. Sauced them and threw them on the grill to give a little char. Smoked beans and smoked mac n cheese as well.
20170529_180409.jpg
20170529_183322.jpg

Good times.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Ok i am joining this party
Which low cost easy to use smoker?
As much as green egg would look on my deck i have a small budget. Webber?

I started out with the Weber kettle with the Smokinator. I then moved up to the "18 Smokey Mountain. Once you have it dialed and seasoned, its fantastic, but not optimal for longer smokes. Buddy of mine has the Egg, and I hijack it from time to time to do ribs and brisket. The Egg is next level. Holds temp so well, and has the flexibility to do so much more. This shit is like bike riding, you get a bunch of cheap stuff and end up at the high end eventually, having spent 3x as much vs. going straight there. I'd say go straight to the Egg, even if it's a bit of a stretch, you won't be disappointed. And get a good thermometer.

walter

Fourth Party
Yeah, with the Smokey Mountain, if I'm gonna do a pulled pork I gotta refuel around the 10 hour mark.

Top Bottom