Who likes to smoke their meat?

Thanks guys.
Um, smoker is heavier than heck and really needed my teenage son to help get it up to the deck. It has wheels underneath but rarely move it.
It came with plexiglass in door, so added two pieces of glass with metal clips and high temp food grade (the red kind) silicon. Also used that for around the door. Ran a small bead on the inside of the door, covered with waxpaper, closed the door and let it dry. Sealed well.

The cold smoke generator - just google 'venturi cold smoke generator' and its up there. $2 martini shaker at garage sale, some old copper pipe, and a $5 minnow bait bubbler. Drilling the hole in the top of a round cap was a challenge.
Have a old beer can punched with holes inside, fill with wood pellets and chips, use a small torch to light, and the airflow sucks the smoke up and out into smoker.

20160131_162933.jpg

This went down this weekend
IMAG1518.jpg
Bacon wrapped meatloaf. Standard meatloaf with bacon weave, really good but Mrs. Walter didn't like that the bacon wasn't crisp.
IMAG1519.jpg
60 ABTs as our contribution to a labor day picnic. This was the before, didn't get to take an after.

so people stop smoking after memorial day? Falls my favorite time, in fact I like it best after leaves are gone, cause I can just sit and enjoy a cigar, beer or scotch with out yardwork lingering in my mind.
yesterday I smoked a small piece of pork
WP_20161024_16_20_14_Pro.jpg

hickory smoke till meat registers at 140F, was only 7 lbs so took about 6 hrs at 225F, wrapped it and brought it into the oven to finish
WP_20161024_19_17_46_Pro.jpg

while meat was smoking in the Weber, brined and dried some whiting
WP_20161024_16_24_57_Pro.jpg

pork hit target temp of 205F in the 250F oven, took about another 3.5 hrs, rested for an hour before shredding. Came out nice and moist with good bark
WP_20161024_20_27_04_Pro.jpg

whiting went into smoker after pork changed venue, smoked with apple for almost 5 hrs at 175F, was think 4 hrs originally, but needed more time, I really like how it finished, the brine was a little sweet, which I usually use with salmon, though was a nice departure from the salty versions I usually dish out
WP_20161024_19_55_30_Pro.jpg

Desperate times require desperate measures.

No access to a smoker, but wer'all hankerin' fo some ribs.

Grabbed 4 slabs, trimmed slt style. Wrapped 'em up in AL foil, and into the oven at 210 with the convector running. See ya in about 6 hours or so.

IMG_5933.JPG

why is there a rat in separate but not desperate?

drove past - will return. had that smell going a block away.
maybe a 12' store front.

IMG_5941.JPG

Oh - Ribs from previous post came out nice and tender. Fell off the bone.
Not the same without the smoke.

Last edited:
Some of the best are those hole in the wall places.
What base do they use in Fld.
Carolina vinger or st louie tomatoe

Can get both from the chain places. Will report back when I go local. Had tomatoe chipotle based today. Decent.

Desperate times require desperate measures.

No access to a smoker, but wer'all hankerin' fo some ribs.

Grabbed 4 slabs, trimmed slt style. Wrapped 'em up in AL foil, and into the oven at 210 with the convector running. See ya in about 6 hours or so.

View attachment 46286

why is there a rat in separate but not desperate?
no access to a $20 charcoal grill you could have left behind?
or even make your own with some AL trays and cinderblock

no access to a $20 charcoal grill you could have left behind?
or even make your own with some AL trays and cinderblock

holy crap, the condo police would be all over me...then my 'rents would get a letter.
i feel so compliant. :D if i was smart, i would have picked up a little liquid smoke.

six hours overnight in oven for pork and same for ribs in weber. Grill was still around 150 this morning. Wrapped and put in oven for another 2hrs at 275. Fed the coals and dumped in the last two racks. Pork stays in foil and gets wrapped with newspaper for two hours of slow cool down
WP_20170326_06_39_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20170326_06_55_07_Pro.jpg

@soundz thanks for the new upload widget, works good,but doesn't seem to autorotate some pics

smaller shoulder should have been pulled at 140, got lazy and didn't get out till 150, so as pulling, left it in the juices for about 30 mins
WP_20170326_10_28_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20170326_11_58_10_Pro.jpg

half of ribs dry and the other with a light coat of a sauce I'm experimenting with spices from the far east. I sauce for the last 30 mins for a glaze
WP_20170326_11_04_44_Pro.jpg WP_20170326_17_01_50_Pro.jpg

perfect weather to dry and smoke fish
doing about 10 lbs of salmon and a little less of whiting
also have some mackerels in brine whic need to come out soon. big whitings will go in first for about 6 hrs with apple and a piece of hickory then salmon 6 hrs with just apple and birch if I can find some in the yard. Lastly small whitings about 4 hrs and mackerels will take about 8 hrs. Not sure what to use for mackerel, maybe hickory and oak? Should be done by the time it starts to rain tomorrow.
WP_20170329_07_26_16_Pro.jpg

perfect weather to dry and smoke fish
doing about 10 lbs of salmon and a little less of whiting
also have some mackerels in brine whic need to come out soon. big whitings will go in first for about 6 hrs with apple and a piece of hickory then salmon 6 hrs with just apple and birch if I can find some in the yard. Lastly small whitings about 4 hrs and mackerels will take about 8 hrs. Not sure what to use for mackerel, maybe hickory and oak? Should be done by the time it starts to rain tomorrow.
View attachment 50090

What temperature will be used on the fish?

did you cure this in anything? or since it was being cooked, just go for it?
what did you rub it with?

is this a 5 day keto fest? :D
nope, just used my regular pork/rib rub, no brining
I can't reliably get the kettle down to 150F for bacon
the piece was fairly lean but stayed tender despite being in the smoker for over 9hrs

The cold smoke generator - just google 'venturi cold smoke generator' and its up there. $2 martini shaker at garage sale, some old copper pipe, and a $5 minnow bait bubbler. Drilling the hole in the top of a round cap was a challenge.
Have a old beer can punched with holes inside, fill with wood pellets and chips, use a small torch to light, and the airflow sucks the smoke up and out into smoker.

20160131_162933-jpg.40419

That looks like it can be used to smoke something else.

Back
Top Bottom