Who Can Code, soup-to-nuts...i have an opening.

$130k with those qualifications? Anyone with those creds will want much more, no? I know a guy, repairs TVs, has a monster toolset. He can fix it.

Kind of my take on it. You are asking for Senior level skills in not only Front and Back End development but it also database (and potentially data science). The way I read this you are looking for 3+ different skill sets all wrapped up into a single resource, plus preference for a specific industry.

To find these skills all in one is like finding a needle in a haystack - disregarding salary requirements entirely. Also you failed to mention any visa or security clearance requirements, but that can be make or break on finding the right resource as well.

Hope you find/have found a resource, if you haven't had much luck yet may I recommend you re-evaluate what the critical competencies are and modify the job posting(s) around those requirements to at least get some interviews with some warm bodies.

It is also asking for more experience than lifetime of some of the technologies.... it is a client's request - and i'd bet she'd be thrilled with someone that can handle
the data and the backend, and can manage one of those stupid dashboard generators.....

it was a longshot here, but figured i'd post it, cause ya never know.

and yeah, 130 is low for a short term assignment, but the client is the low payer in the industry...cause of their volume, and they don't appreciate coding skills, otherwise i'd still be coding...

Who appreciates coding skills? Not a real big appreciation for that these days - probably with good reason. Being able to code moderately and handle a 10 minute conversation with an actual human being, however, is fairly rare.

Who appreciates coding skills? Not a real big appreciation for that these days - probably with good reason. Being able to code moderately and handle a 10 minute conversation with an actual human being, however, is fairly rare.
One of our developers forwarded his work phone to his cell so he could use the voice to text functionality.

It didn't work.

It is also asking for more experience than lifetime of some of the technologies.... it is a client's request - and i'd bet she'd be thrilled with someone that can handle
the data and the backend, and can manage one of those stupid dashboard generators.....

it was a longshot here, but figured i'd post it, cause ya never know.

and yeah, 130 is low for a short term assignment, but the client is the low payer in the industry...cause of their volume, and they don't appreciate coding skills, otherwise i'd still be coding...

Gotcha - I was just trying to give some additional insight, I work in this field with these kind of resources and I know how hard it can be to find a person with even a decent amount of ability in one of these areas that can also, as Norm called out, have a conversation/discussion with the customer. This came across as a job req that one of my managers here would dream up and then wonder why they weren't getting any responses.

I don't know you and your experience with trying to fill these positions so I made some unfair assumptions that you weren't aware of challenges in finding these composite skills in a single resource.

It seems like you are aware of the shortcomings of the listing and are just looking to shortlist some candidates to present to the client. Like you said a number of the technologies haven't even been around as long as the experience requirements are asking for so something has to give.

I wish I could help you find a resource to fill this position. It seems like anyone that is halfway talented in these areneas thinks they can join the next Facebook/Uber/Amazon etc and strike it rich!

I'd love to see you update this when you get this position filled and share what type of skills got hired into this position.

just need to vent, so this is to nobody specific.....

<rant>
yeah - people think they can code, and come up with some unmaintainable spaghetti logic using their siblings names as variables....
this is why the ibm model almost works - write function point specs. then some mba type can decide on physical architecture, and
it takes 4k of data to write 'hello world' to a screen......don't forget the three people tracking progress - you said it was going to be done today,
why isn't it done? they make more than everyone with a tech degree.

so at this point in time, so much is already written, and the programmers job is to look crap up on the internet and choose the right library..holy crap it is in a different language,
so load the run time environment for that baby, and call it through its rpc interface (do they call it that anymore, or do i need to use corba, or web services, or ajax.......)

had a person show me how they used some color bleed thing off a menu, and claimed i can't do that on a computer. yeah, writing a color bleed was a sophomore project in comp graphics...
no way i can get it to work from a menu....'do you know excel?' if i hear that one again.....

large volume data management is about logistics - fault management/recovery. physical modeling, consistency/bounds/integrity. doesn't matter if it is on the load or query side....
there are more, poorly chosen data types out there - well, the values are numeric 1-11, so it is an integer......boom! it is now 8x larger than a optimized data type, and could be encoded into half of that....forget using real algorithms - oh, the database will shrink it using run-length encoding....nah.

check this -

isqrt = (int)(floor(sqrt((double)ihypotenuse))); /** call this thing about 500 million times, and see how long it takes

as opposed to about 8 lines of code that works with the integer directly....
a better idea is to create a cache table, cause i bet the input range is bounded....for things like getting gmtime or localtime this works great.

had some old school operations management phd hand me a 10 page document on how to update his database using the pull down menus in toad and arcmap.....
very proud of his instructions, i automated it into "run this" cause he didn't trust the system to run it...

and this is why i hate computers now. i like clients tho, cause they have some cash so i can get a fat bike.
</rant>

Last edited:
Gotcha - I was just trying to give some additional insight, I work in this field with these kind of resources and I know how hard it can be to find a person with even a decent amount of ability in one of these areas that can also, as Norm called out, have a conversation/discussion with the customer. This came across as a job req that one of my managers here would dream up and then wonder why they weren't getting any responses.

I don't know you and your experience with trying to fill these positions so I made some unfair assumptions that you weren't aware of challenges in finding these composite skills in a single resource.

It seems like you are aware of the shortcomings of the listing and are just looking to shortlist some candidates to present to the client. Like you said a number of the technologies haven't even been around as long as the experience requirements are asking for so something has to give.

I wish I could help you find a resource to fill this position. It seems like anyone that is halfway talented in these areneas thinks they can join the next Facebook/Uber/Amazon etc and strike it rich!

I'd love to see you update this when you get this position filled and share what type of skills got hired into this position.

no worries, i should have added some of the points for clarity. - i've been all over the consulting thing since 1987....the only thing i don't do is recruit (i was the interviewer for our recruiting team way back when) - totally appreciate that skill.....hell, i had a recruiter cold call me one day, and i was onto a new job about 3 weeks later! and doubled my salary.....that's a win all around.

i doubt i will fill it, as the client works with some shops that tap into the foreign nation IT pool. a vast resource of skill.

funny thing is all the really smart people i knew in bell(AT&T) labs in the data sci field all went to google......maybe i should throw you my resume!!

Holy crap, I just actually read the job description front to back. Is this actually a joke?

3 things I absolutely love:

1. The GPA of 3.5 or higher. As if the 60 years of required experience isn't enough, you have to have a 3.5.
2. Java certification. I have been told by many in the industry that certifications on your resume are 1 of the things that get it thrown away.
3. 5+ years required in "communication skills"

Nobody on Earth is qualified to do this job as listed above. You can pretty much take that to the bank.

^ I didn't get that GPA one either. I've never looked at a candidate's GPA that had any related work experience, even if just a few years out of school.

Do we as the average guy or girl need to care if you can code soup to nutz. Will it make my day better? Will it make me poop a bouquet? I have this feeling I may need a code soup to nutz though it better be good for 130Gs.

Holy effing gahd. I feel like I just fell through the rabbit hole. If only it was a 63cm. (Mommy!)

so i'm getting a feeling that this ad may have been floated as a comparison for immigration purposes - as in they have a person that has these skills/qualifications, and it was written
to show that the person is unique, thus would not take the job of a current citizen.....

trust me, these types of people exist. lives that revolve around knowing all they can - not just coding by day, xbox by night crap - it is around the clock consumption of tech material...

btw - probably aint gunna get a phd dissertation accepted with a gpa below 3.5...you'd be asked to leave with more Bs than As....

Last edited:
Didn't both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs drop out of college? WOOD NOT HIRE.

the failure of IBM to let gates and moore(intel) walk away with the intellectual property that they paid to create was moronic.

and xerox let jobs walk through the lab, and walk out with all the ideas they were "playing with" cause it wasn't core to their business. Hell, ethernet
was a fun way to hook printers together. yeah, xerox.

yahoo came out of a research project, wonder what they got on it?

might want to check out the origin of fedex too.....

all the best stuff gets done by a few people who tell the ones that say it can't be done, 'gtf out of the way' - like ending up behind me on single track....

Last edited:
I'm confused are you a jobs on the bike or a Xerox?

I know the type of people you are looking for, being a GIS "professional" I had an ex boss who would constantly say I need people like that guy, that guy being a total nerd who literally lived, breathed and shit GIS. The last thing I want to do when I go home is search GitHub for the latest Python scripts. Fortunately we aren't all robots but I know why you want them.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb
I know the feeling, the ideal GIS candidate knows every db platform, coding language, and has 10 years of web development experience. It's a miracle anyone gets hired in this field. And I'm even more surprised I've never heard of toad since I've read untold number of job listings.

I know the feeling, the ideal GIS candidate knows every db platform, coding language, and has 10 years of web development experience. It's a miracle anyone gets hired in this field. And I'm even more surprised I've never heard of toad since I've read untold number of job listings.

that "task" i mentioned above was a shape file generator, with custom config files for arcmap. there were better ways to do it, but politics prevented enough dedicated space for the database - simple materialized views would have provided decent performance.....oh, and i couldn't talk to the "end client" directly, cause i was only a programmer...oooh, heatmaps...

Toad - http://software.dell.com/documents/toad-for-oracle-functional-matrix-datasheet-68109.pdf
kindofa sql navigator type thing

that "task" i mentioned above was a shape file generator, with custom config files for arcmap. there were better ways to do it, but politics prevented enough dedicated space for the database - simple materialized views would have provided decent performance.....oh, and i couldn't talk to the "end client" directly, cause i was only a programmer...oooh, heatmaps...

Toad - http://software.dell.com/documents/toad-for-oracle-functional-matrix-datasheet-68109.pdf
kindofa sql navigator type thing
You referenced using shape files, I'm OUT. I have a deep rooted dislike for shape files.

Back
Top Bottom