Who burns more calories?

Holy crap. The posts here from all the Allstars of 2012.

Pearl, you should do weekly bumps of archived threads.
Requesting an FFT rant next.

BTW if they’re both pushing at the same 250 watts, they’re burning the same calories. I’m pretty sure there’s an equation for this but I’m not going to look it up.

BTW if they’re both pushing at the same 250 watts, they’re burning the same calories. I’m pretty sure there’s an equation for this but I’m not going to look it up.

That's roughly true. But that also only measures pure work. Reality is that it costs the (presumably) overweight person more calories to keep the rest of his/her body functioning. Watts only measures the output, not the machine. As another example, if this is done in 20 degrees, the overweight person may burn fewer calories as the thinner athlete needs to burn calories to keep their core warm.

Basically, whoever setup this experiment sucks at defining initial conditions. We don't even know these people's names.

That's roughly true. But that also only measures pure work. Reality is that it costs the (presumably) overweight person more calories to keep the rest of his/her body functioning. Watts only measures the output, not the machine. As another example, if this is done in 20 degrees, the overweight person may burn fewer calories as the thinner athlete needs to burn calories to keep their core warm.

Basically, whoever setup this experiment sucks at defining initial conditions. We don't even know these people's names.
Unless your Higgs Boson…. LOLz. Anyone remember that one? Probably around the same time as this thread.

here is your thought experiment - if athlete B had to carry athlete A would they require more calories?

sharpen those crayons, cause the elevator has the lights on.

do they have something to measure that? i cant think of anything but im also not the brightest bulb in the crayon box

OG thread

It can be measured either directly through having someone essentially exercise in a sealed box (fun!) where the temperature inside the box can be recorded and correlated to the amount of heat generated by the athlete. More commonly, it would be measured indirectly through recording of oxygen and carbon dioxide used during exercise (picture a VO2 max test with the person breathing through a hose).

Back
Top Bottom