Who are 12 people who have never been in my kitchen?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You know, I just didn't know what to name this thing. I googled the number 12 for inspiration and after staring at the wall for some time, I went in the direction of Cliff Claven. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to post a link to the video this thread title is referencing.

I have come up with a new approach this year in terms of both fitness and resolutions. In terms of fitness, I have developed my own app inside the tool I work with. It is a fitness-app that tries to model a well-rounded lifestyle that includes food, sleep, exercise, and mental wellness. I have been modeling this for a few months and I just completed the first pass of it yesterday. Next steps are to make it work on the mobile version of the app. This is a 2 part effort. First is for the health aspect of it. Second is to better learn a piece of the tool I work with in terms of being better with the tool.

If anyone wants to hear more about the fitness model I created, I can go into that. In time, if anyone wants to try and use it, I would love user experiences/feedback but I am not there yet.

In terms of resolutions I have gone with the number 12. It sort of sprung out of a podcast I was listening to the other day. The guy said he wanted to make some food by hand that he had previously bought. Last year it was bread, this year whipped cream. Anyway, I don't know if he said it but I thought, well, if you wanted to learn to bake bread as a resolution maybe baking a loaf a month on average is a good way to do it? I mean, if you were that serious about baking bread I would think maybe it makes sense.

Anyway, I have come up with a series of things that I want to do 12 times this year at least. This goes hand-in-hand with my approach to Xmas this year. I went for experience gifts for everyone. The kids, D, my parents, D's brother & sister - everyone got experiences. So this is sort of my approach this year.

Do things, and blog about them. I have come up with a list of 9 things that I want to do 12 of. My intention is to blog about each one when they come to pass. My blogging isn't really biking-related anymore. But of course some of them will be bike adventures and other things will be with people I know from the bike world. But my days of blogging 6x1:1 intervals is no more. In addition to the doing things, if I am successful at this I will end up writing at least 12*9 blog posts with content this year. So I guess writing more content is also an outcome of this.

The 9 things:

1. Go to a show or a museum, or an event, comedy club, etc. This one will be easy because I got D a bunch of tickets to shows for Xmas.
  2. Cook something new, something I have never cooked before. Example: I have never baked a cake in my life. I need cake like I need herpes. But like that's just an example.
  3. Bike adventures, promoting, notable rides, travel to new places, etc. This one is more vague and honestly may not happen. I am not sure how to fully define this one given my history with bikes. What counts as notable?
  4. Adventures & weekends with the kids.
  5. Read 12 books.
  6. Movies that I have never seen, or have been meaning to see. You know I always have this idea that I would watch some of the classics. Maybe I'll pick a few this year and do that.
  7. Have dinner with friends either out or at home. I think this sounds easier than it is. I don't mean eating dinner with a group of people like we often do with the team. I mean having a more meaningful get-together with people. The kids of events that we all want to do but never seem to have the time for.
  8. Eat at places that are 2$$ and 4+ stars on Yelp. Yelp is our food spiritual leader. We almost never go out somewhere with less than 2 $$ and 4+ stars when we are trying to get a really good meal. This approach has almost never failed us.
  9. Projects around the house, personal, etc.
Ok, that's about all I can think of now. I'm hungry. Time to make something to eat.

rlb

As one of your 12 cooking adventures you should bake sourdough bread. It's a fairly straightforward process though it requires some effort and planning. Good luck with the list!

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Read 12 books
THIS IS SO HARD.

Last year I read 1 book that wasn't a textbook, white paper, or user manual. Really regret not doing a better job of making time to read - post any pro tips for building/maintaining the habit (and of course the book selections).

Also interested in wellness app, please elaborate!

qclabrat

bread is one of those things I'd like to learn how to make, maybe someday get a real bread oven, subscribed...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been in there once, but I might pay another visit this weekend.

Btw, someone recently asked me if I celebrate Christmas and this is more or less how the conversation went.

Friend: Do you celebrate Christmas? Did you have a good Dec 25th if you don't?

Me: I actually try not to celebrate any particular day. I think at the core it’s because I don’t like the idea of having society dictate things to me. I can understand why people would choose to celebrate though.

Friend: So does that mean your birthday as well?

Me: yup, although my parents always take me out to dinner .. not strictly on the day of though.. just around the date depending on how everyone’s schedule is

Friend: something something

Me: It’s not that I don’t believe in giving/receiving gifts. I jus think it has more meaning when it’s done outside the context of birthday/Christmas. Esp, when a person is really in need.

Friend: something something

Last edited:

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cook something new, something I have never cooked before. Example: I have never baked a cake in my life. I need cake like I need herpes. But like that's just an example.

Kimchee. Do it proper .. buried in clay pot in your backyard. Hurry you have to do this during winter time.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kimchee. Do it proper .. buried in clay pot in your backyard. Hurry you have to do this during winter time.

I want to see this done. I had some at some random hole in the wall ramen bar in San Fran and I was intrigued. Is it supposed to look like it's just been Sitting on the counter for months ?

qclabrat

bought my house from an old Korean couple who used one of these, @soundz howz it work?
I love kimchee, @rick81721 I found a great Korean place in Tampa last week, worth a visit

p17b_dimchae_kimchi_refrigerator_palos_verdes_chung_family_homel.jpg

olegbabich

This sounds like a good plan to help with Life Balance thing.

Learning to make great bread is like Sex. If you only do it only once a month, well you might not learn how to be great.

(My wife is great at baking bread, she mills her own flour and everything.)- she does it every Sunday.

I'm not good at many things, but I like a challenge of learning or doing things I know very little about. It becomes a Zen thing- and is very rewarding when I succeed and learn a new skill.

Be it going to an Art Exhibit to be motivated to paint ( I suck at drawing and painting), or doing a valve adjustment on a Ducati.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Experiences!
Love this idea.

Cooking class at ninety acres as a couple for Valentine's day.

If I go in your kitchen we will be remodeling. That will be 12x12$$$$

Mountain Bike Mike

I'd like to try out that app

#6 - For three or five years now, I've said I wanted to watch the Bourne series and Harry Potter series in the proper order. Somehow I never end up getting around to it. I was literally in Target last week and had the Bourne series in my hand and put it back on the shelf. Whenever the series is on TV, I never can catch it at the right time. The weird thing is, I ALWAYS watch the Christmas Story and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 3-4 times over the holidays. This also reminds me that I need to go back and watch the In Living Color box set. That type of comedy is very rare these days and I feel like my kids need to be exposed to the older comedy. This thread is motivating me to do movie things. Thanks

Maybe I'll stop riding outside and get on the trainer and watch all this stuff... OR NOT!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Whip cream is very easy to make, seems like an easy goal to accomplish in less than 12 min. Dudeman set the bar way low for a yearly goal. Good luck with your goals.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
J. Try a new beer.

1. Have you done the Mutter Museum?

3. A ride could become notable by riding with someone new.

5. Will you take suggestions? I'd like your thoughts on either: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch or Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon.

Top Bottom