White trail closure

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
The KVSP park management has asked that everyone stay off of the "rogue" white trail in the southern end of the park. This section of was was off of red near the NJ Forest service and Sussex branch rail bed. See the attached map clipping for rough location of the trail.

The park has been alerted to a few varieties of endangered plants growing in the location of the trail.

There have been several attempts over the past few years to close the trail. The latest attempt is
significant, we need to keep off the trail for the long term use of the park.

Please spread the word. Hopefully in the near future we can return to creating new trails and improving the existing.

Attachments

• 20160430_095753.jpg
    20160430_095753.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 412
  • 20160430_100253.jpg
    20160430_100253.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 20160430_100259.jpg
    20160430_100259.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 437
  • Capture KVSP.PNG
    Capture KVSP.PNG
    485.3 KB · Views: 457

xc62701

I was one of the guys there closing the trail as well. We agreed that this was not one of the more pleasant tasks to have to do. With that being said, it is something that needs to be done or our relationship with the park could be severed. They have the right to ban mountain biking from the park and closing this trail and riding approved trails is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

xc62701

Somebody already ripped down one of the signs.

By ripped down, what do you mean? Is the signpost still there or was the paper sign ripped off? Either way this is not the best course of action for someone that is upset at what the park chose to do. Immaturity like this could lead to a lot more upset bikers once they throw us out of KVSP.

Please spread the word that the trail is officially closed and off limits.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't understand people.

This is what? Half a mile of trail at best? We have something like 400 miles of trail in NJ (I just made this up, but it sounds close enough). I remember this trail. It was actually a lot of fun. But you know within a stone's throw you have all those Mooch parks which have a lot more trails like this. Let's just forget this trail was ever there and ride the other 399.5 miles of trail we have available to us.

Props to Bulldog for making the inroads with the park and keeping the trails alive. Let's support them as they support us & our right to ride bikes here.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Closing trails suck. People opening closed trails suck even more than closing trails. We HAVE to be good citizens here, the park will not let us build new trails. Worst case KVSP becomes horse & hiking only.

njkayaker

Post is still thee. Sign torn off. I actually spoke to one of the rangers last night. Very cool guy and very bike friendly. he was really interested in my fatbike setup. from talking to him I would say biker relationship with the local rangers is very good.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I would like to see something more sturdy than paper. it isn't that expensive.
Would also like to see JORBA referenced on it. The representatives of the mtb community in NJ,
does not condone riding on these trails. Put KenS phone number on it too (on, jk) -

we need something that looks more official at 6MR - so it isn't just one park.

i haven't called the park police yet. but i will eventually, to get the proper reference
to statute, and possible punishment.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The lifecycle of this trail kinda makes me laugh,..anyway. I agree with Ryan that basically most of you have no idea how close you are or have come to being banned, so wise up. I agree with Norm that the time the builders wasted on this could have been spent finding 20 new miles of current trail that they're too lazy to explore and I think that having JORBA officially linked to it as per fidodie could be very entertaining if and when someone gets persecuted. The park is boned out and baked, just a weekend ride w/ the GF kinda place and this trail won't even be missed so stay the frick off of it, PLEASE!

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
As a group we are always our own worst enemies most people will respect the parks wishes and not ride or open the trail.
The bad part and trust me we see it at our local park all the time, the few that feel that it is unjust won't. When that happens we ( the park leads ) get the messages and try to explain.
In the end we do lose a bit of credibility in the parks managers view when these types of things seems not to be taken seriously.
The bad part is the people that build and ride the trails are not interested in whether we are banned and for the most part will still get to ride the park on the sly.

njkayaker

If the parks solution is to ban mountain biking they are doing a crappy job. punish the offenders and not all mountain bikers. that is total BS.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I don't understand people.

This is what? Half a mile of trail at best? We have something like 400 miles of trail in NJ (I just made this up, but it sounds close enough). I remember this trail. It was actually a lot of fun. But you know within a stone's throw you have all those Mooch parks which have a lot more trails like this. Let's just forget this trail was ever there and ride the other 399.5 miles of trail we have available to us.

Props to Bulldog for making the inroads with the park and keeping the trails alive. Let's support them as they support us & our right to ride bikes here.
this is so good it needs a repeat.
lets stop focusing on what we dont/cant have and be thankful for what we DO have

I like plants....probably more than I like most people

xc62701

Exactly people. Appreciate what we do have. The trail is closed. Forget about it - ride the other great stuff the state has to offer. Have a beer, chill, and move on.

avc8130

This sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised. I took my daughter for a "tykes hike" with one of the rangers last year and she commented about how fast unauthorized trails seemed to pop up and how sensitive some of the ecosystems around the park are. I still fail to comprehend that a 2' wide path through the woods over a bunch of rocks can damage hundreds of acres, but I'm not ecologist.

This was one of my favorite trails in my "home park", but oh well...another battle lost. I'll have to update my regular hour route through the park.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Would also like to see JORBA referenced on it. The representatives of the mtb community in NJ,
does not condone riding on these trails. Put KenS phone number on it too (on, jk)

JORBA is not and will never be an enforcement entity. We work within land manager guidelines and advocate for access. I know you are aware of this Pat, just stating for those who may have a different perspective.

That being said, if anyone wants my number to chat all things JORBA, feel free to ask. Especially if you have ideas to improve our community or think JORBA sucks. :D

Top Bottom