Which XC Race bike and why

Jeffreywoliver

Interested in which bike you would get if you were getting a new one and why? Mostly interested in frame style/geometry vs components.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here's some questions to get you going...

Price range
What shop do you want to deal with?
What do they carry and of them, Who has the best warranty?

I think all new modern XC bikes from the big guys (trek, giant, spec) are pretty close. For a guy like you I'd stick to one of these brands.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pivot mach 429 SL.100mm travel F&R
It was similar to my 429 Trail 130f 116 R
The trail bikes top tube is longer with a short stem. more upright riding position.
Xc race bike shorter top tube but longer more racey stem. Lower riding position.

They both ride exactly the same Xc race suspension is valved firmer.

They are both Medium if you want to ride them. I'll be at Short track.

trener1

I was very impressed with the Cannondale Scalpel SI when I demo'd it at he MTB festival this past fall.
I know it sounds like marketing hype, but it climbed like hard tail, but handled the rocky descents amazingly well.

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
BTW, carbon, Full suspension.
A racey geo hardtail w/ the best components I could afford. Really. thats all it comes down to.

This is where budget comes into play.
If you can afford the FS carbon with at least decent components, go that route. If your looking to spend a bit less, go carbon HT. Either way, save some extra coin on the side for a better wheel set than whatever comes stock.
FTR, I have an XtC Advanced I bought with 27.5+, and ride that for "fun" and race it with 29" Crest MK3s for a 2-3# weight saving. Even with the extra wheels, still less than what I would have considered a good FS entry point for racing. This will get me thru a couple of years, at which point I'll upgrade, and maybe convert the HT to SS or let one of my kids ride it if they choose/fit.

qclabrat

^agreed, if less than 2500 definitely consider HT over FS, can't get a decent FS racer for less unless going second hand

choop

I would also look abit outside of the box of XC bikes too. I just replace my Specialized Crave with a Kona Honzo. I was shocked at how well the bike climbed with the slacker geometry. Because of the short chainstays, the bike jumps out of corners and you can also really dig your hips into corners as well. While a lot of people might not consider it a true XC geometry, if you are looking hardtail I would definitely give a geometry with super short chainstays a look.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Used
Updated with all the bells and whistles.
New will lose you much $ as you walk out the door.

Jeffreywoliver

The trail bikes top tube is longer with a short stem. more upright riding position.
Xc race bike shorter top tube but longer more racey stem. Lower riding position.

May take you up on that. I’ll be the one on the ‘04 Stumpjumper.

May take you up on that. I’ll be there on a red ‘04 Stumpjumper

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
^^ you'll be all warmed up for retro-race week 2!!

Top Bottom