Which PF30 > GXP bottom bracket adapter allows you to replace bearings easily?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
In the search to remove all BB/PF30 things from my bikes, I'm looking at replacing the PF30 on my Van Dessel Aloominator with a outboard bearing to run a set of GXP cranks.

I see Praxis makes one, but says if you remove the bearings, the warranty is void. Or you can send it back and they can do it.
Wheels Mfg offers one and says the bearings are easy to replace, but no write up or how-to on how to do it.

Have you used one or the other, or another brand, and like it? I would love to install the adapter once and never touch it, maybe once a year to just take apart and regrease, and just pop in new bearings when they STB. Am I searching for something that doesn't exist?

Thank you for your time.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know nothing at all about BB's. All the different sizes/standards confuzzle me. What about that new DUB thingy?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
the DUB stuff so new to me, but it looks like its just a complete piece. from what I see, the older versions is an adapter with bearings that you can swap out when you cook them, or so I think.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
In the search to remove all BB/PF30 things from my bikes, I'm looking at replacing the PF30 on my Van Dessel Aloominator with a outboard bearing to run a set of GXP cranks.

I see Praxis makes one, but says if you remove the bearings, the warranty is void. Or you can send it back and they can do it.
Wheels Mfg offers one and says the bearings are easy to replace, but no write up or how-to on how to do it.

Have you used one or the other, or another brand, and like it? I would love to install the adapter once and never touch it, maybe once a year to just take apart and regrease, and just pop in new bearings when they STB. Am I searching for something that doesn't exist?

Thank you for your time.

I read this and took a minute for it to sink in. I then turned around to my two steel bikes in my office with BSA bottom brackets. I hugged them and told them I loved them for who they are.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wheels Mfg offers one and says the bearings are easy to replace, but no write up or how-to on how to do it

They must just pop out of the cups... and then use a press to put them back in.

I looked at the site and it seems like it should be easy.

I have a wild idea for your millennial ass...pick up the phone and call them and ask. :popcorn:

RobW

i believe with the wheels mfg BB's they sit inside the cup. very easy to install and clean

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
WMFG does indeed just house a standard bearing in their cup. Out with the old, in with the new. No pressing, at least with the BSA version I had.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Get one of these. It will make this soooo much more pleasant. I would say get an extractor too, but you can fudge that pretty easily, esp. as when you're screwing that up, it'll be the bearing that's gonna be replaced that's getting tortured :)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
you mean make PF30 more pleasant? I don't want to use one of those plastic PF30 to GXP adapter thingies if I don't have to

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Get one of these. It will make this soooo much more pleasant. I would say get an extractor too, but you can fudge that pretty easily, esp. as when you're screwing that up, it'll be the bearing that's gonna be replaced that's getting tortured :)

I have this. It's a life changer

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's actually a sweet price. I always avoided getting one because some of the prices are craycray.

Karate Monkey

That's actually a sweet price. I always avoided getting one because some of the prices are craycray.

The professional one uses acme rod and brass bushings pressed into the handles, or in other words: $$$$$. Buy the good handle and just the drifts you need--it will last way longer. For occasional use (one person, maybe a couple of bikes, used a few times every couple of years) the economy model will be fine...but some of the bottom brackets I've installed would destroy the aluminum threading in a hurry.

Top Bottom