Which mini group set slx or eagle nx

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
This being my first bike I've made a lot of mistakes maintaining it and I've learned a lot. At this point I've learned it's time to upgrade I'm on a 2x10 and I'm looking to go 1x11 or 1x12 screw facts what's your opinion!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I've heard some ppl say that the 12 speed is a bit finicky when indexing but so far, I haven't had to index my gears so can't speak from personal experience.

qclabrat

All my bikes except one are still on 10 spd and most with either 40t or 42t. Which I've found is plenty with a 32 chainring. I briefly had a 28 chainring and I couldn't deal with the spinny high gears. I also prefer SRAM, unless it's XTR, then it's a wash with the better SRAM stuff. XTR and DuraAce components are so well made.

Only downside to the NX group is that it's kinda heavy. Spring for GX if you can. Also XD drivers can't take my single speed cogs so I usually prefer Shimano. Just something to think about

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
GX cassette alone is about $200.
If it's a one shot purchase, totally fine but it's a wear item. Granted a cassette won't wear out after a couple of rides but nonetheless, something to factor in. Altho... I'm thinking price should come down after some time. Only question I have is will it come down b4 I need one.

Love the GX on my bike.
But love the affordability of mid range shimano stuff.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it's a one shot purchase, totally fine but it's a wear item. Granted a cassette won't wear out after a couple of rides but nonetheless, something to factor in. Altho... I'm thinking price should come down after some time. Only question I have is will it come down b4 I need one.

Love the GX on my bike.

if you keep up with chain wear and replace the CHAIN before it gets too far gone the cassette will last you thousands of miles, my last mountian bike had 7k miles on it, with the cassette having 5k of those miles on it without replacement. I have noticed that the eagle chains wear quicker than my old 9 speed chains did, and cost more, but still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new cassette.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
if you keep up with chain wear and replace the CHAIN before it gets too far gone the cassette will last you thousands of miles, my last mountian bike had 7k miles on it, with the cassette having 5k of those miles on it without replacement. I have noticed that the eagle chains wear quicker than my old 9 speed chains did, and cost more, but still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new cassette.
Yeah... Ive been very conscious of it and been trying to hose down the drain train after every ride.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah... Ive been very conscious of it and been trying to hose down the drain train after every ride.

make sure you relube if you rinse off the chain, otherwise rust will accelerate the wear (its an abrasive).

since i forgot to mention it above, i got about 450 miles out of my first eagle chain on this bike, still on chain #2, but only about half that milage on it right now

BPaze

All my bikes except one are still on 10 spd and most with either 40t or 42t. Which I've found is plenty with a 32 chainring. I briefly had a 28 chainring and I couldn't deal with the spinny high gears. I also prefer SRAM, unless it's XTR, then it's a wash with the better SRAM stuff. XTR and DuraAce components are so well made.

Only downside to the NX group is that it's kinda heavy. Spring for GX if you can. Also XD drivers can't take my single speed cogs so I usually prefer Shimano. Just something to think about

The GX needs an XD freehub the NX fits on existing Shimano I think his plan is to go NX and upgrade to GX down the road when he upgrades his rear hub and freehub.

goodvibe

Shimano vs. SRAM is the same as Mac vs. PC or Ford vs. Chevy. It has a lot to do with personal preference. I have always been a fan of Shimano. The cost of an XT cassette vs any XD cassette is definitely much less. Also, I like that you can upshift with your forefinger or your thumb.

qclabrat

Love the GX on my bike.
And the XX1 cassette, is $400, but here's the facts on weights
NX eagle = 615 grams
GX eagle = 450 grams
XX1 eagle = 360 grams
XX1 11spd = 265 grams

The XX1 is cassette is over 3/4 pounds lighter than the GX eagle and 0.4 less than the GX eagle, in the world of getting the lightest rotational weight, $200-300 doesn't sound so bad to me. I'd personally try to get the lightest and strongest wheels you could afford as a first upgrade.

mustclime

Doesn't SRAM have shorter 1:1 pull vs 2:1 Shimano?
SRAM is 1:1, Shimano is 1:2. On sram, 1 mm of cable pull = 1mm of derailleur movement. On Shimano, 1mm of cable pull= 2mm is derailleur movement. Sram has more cable movement per shift so things like cable stretch, cable housing movement are less likely to cause miss shifts.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
For 9-10 speed’s it’s hard to be the Shimano shifting. Their 11 speed (XT), which I also have, is way harder on my thumb(s) than the SRAM 11-12 speed stuff...I have original XX1 (11sp) , GX 12sp and The gold bird ;). SRAM is just crisper and easier on my hands.

2c-

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
NX eagle = 615 grams
GX eagle = 450 grams
XX1 eagle = 360 grams
XX1 11spd = 265 grams

The XX1 is cassette is over 3/4 pounds lighter than the GX eagle and 0.4 less than the GX eagle, in the world of getting the lightest rotational weight, $200-300 doesn't sound so bad to me. I'd personally try to get the lightest and strongest wheels you could afford as a first upgrade.

I can take a dump and shed more weight lol, I've dropped like 15lbs in the past month at this rate I might drop the weight of 2 bikes lol.

I think I'm gonna go for SLX for the sake of money its tough to jump the extra bit with out waiting a longer.

qclabrat

I can take a dump and shed more weight lol, I've dropped like 15lbs in the past month at this rate I might drop the weight of 2 bikes lol.

I think I'm gonna go for SLX for the sake of money its tough to jump the extra bit with out waiting a longer.
Yeah, but you're not the rotational weight.

goodvibe

NX eagle = 615 grams
GX eagle = 450 grams
XX1 eagle = 360 grams
XX1 11spd = 265 grams

XT M8000 11-40 cassette – 398g
XTR M9000 11-40 cassette – 323g

All for 1/2 of the price!! and you don't need an XD driver.

Top Bottom