Which mini group set slx or eagle nx

If you're going to go Shimano then I would suggest using the XT cassette and shifter with an SLX derailleur. The XT shifter has a much crisper and better feel than SLX and you can upshift 2 gears at a time. The XT 11-46 cassette is only $11 more than an SLX 11-40. Or go with Sunrace for more even spacing between gears.

If you're going to go Shimano then I would suggest using the XT cassette and shifter with an SLX derailleur. The XT shifter has a much crisper and better feel than SLX and you can upshift 2 gears at a time. The XT 11-46 cassette is only $11 more than an SLX 11-40. Or go with Sunrace for more even spacing between gears.

Don't spoil a poor mans perspective, I think all wine taste like what they give at church I'm sure I won't notice the difference in feel lol

I am going SLX I tried a sram gx today thanks @C8N that thumbing stuff isn't for me I'm going 34 up front and 42 in the back, a jump up from 24x36 granny gear. I found myself tired out using the granny gear and jumping up to my 32 in the rear while climbing the tourne. If it proves to require more torque than I can put down I'll swap rings.

I am going SLX I tried a sram gx today thanks @C8N that thumbing stuff isn't for me I'm going 34 up front and 42 in the back, a jump up from 24x36 granny gear. I found myself tired out using the granny gear and jumping up to my 32 in the rear while climbing the tourne. If it proves to require more torque than I can put down I'll swap rings.
Going 34t up front is going to be tough on the extended climbs. For perspective, my Talon had a 32t up front and 11-42t in the rear.

36/24 = 1.5
42/34 = 1.23

that is significant - or if you think of it the other way,
with 34 up front, you'd need the 50t cog to get the same ratio,
or on the old set-up, it would be 24x30t (so somewhere between 2nd & 3rd) - which was your point about spin, vs power above

42/32 = 1.3
42/30 = 1.4
42/28 = 1.5 and more clearance! but this kinda messes up the top end -

OTOH they are not that expensive, and easy enough to change out - also mentioned
can you get a 46t cog in the back? 46/32 (1.44) is close, and maintains the top end better.

36/24 = 1.5
42/34 = 1.23

that is significant - or if you think of it the other way,
with 34 up front, you'd need the 50t cog to get the same ratio,
or on the old set-up, it would be 24x30t (so somewhere between 2nd & 3rd) - which was your point about spin, vs power above

42/32 = 1.3
42/30 = 1.4
42/28 = 1.5 and more clearance! but this kinda messes up the top end -

OTOH they are not that expensive, and easy enough to change out - also mentioned
can you get a 46t cog in the back? 46/32 (1.44) is close, and maintains the top end better.
On the OOS thread, he said he already made the order...
So... either he is going to become a monster... or he will be hiking a bike often on the long climbs.

nobody likes to hike - i suspect suffering, and getting stronger.
I am actually scared of @arangov3
This guy has been riding a lot and has already lost quite a bit of weight. At the rate he is going, his power to weight ratio is going to be impressive.
Not to mention, I got a taste of Tourne yesterday, his home ground. If he keeps riding those rocks, he is going to leave many of the OOS in the dust.

This guy has been riding a lot and has already lost quite a bit of weight. At the rate he is going, his power to weight ratio is going to be impressive.
Not to mention, I got a taste of Tourne yesterday, his home ground. If he keeps riding those rocks, he is going to leave many of the OOS in the dust.

see link in my signature block

Dickerson mine is my new home turf its a nice smooth ride aside from the one trail coming from the lake

Almost forgot I'm down 18lbs I think I made the right choice with going 34 since I've almost lost the weight of my whole bike.

Last edited:
I don't get going to 11spd if you don't do the 46T cassette
Real Pat gave what I would have posted for gearing ratios.
32/46 was the right answer, I'm going make you regret your purchase pal....
But then in a few months I'm going to regret your purchase, when you dust my old legs on climbs....

If the 34t doesn't work out it just gives you a chance to try out an oval chainring, really curious to hear if they actually are an improvement.

If the 34t doesn't work out it just gives you a chance to try out an oval chainring, really curious to hear if they actually are an improvement.
I have a OneUp and it does for me. I like how it pedals on seated climbs. But it's for a odd sized crank which is now on my gravel bike, BB92.
Will probably get one for the new bike in the Fall.

I don't get going to 11spd if you don't do the 46T cassette
Real Pat gave what I would have posted for gearing ratios.
32/46 was the right answer, I'm going make you regret your purchase pal....
But then in a few months I'm going to regret your purchase, when you dust my old legs on climbs....

I'm excited for a challenge I think this is finally gonna force me to upgrade my tires which are starting to slip to offten. I just don't know what to get yet

I am thinking about getting a 32t to force myself to go harder on climbs and hopefully it will ease the transition from the 30t

Back
Top Bottom