Where to practice jumps?

Carey B

Where are some good places to practice different types of jumps? I can hit kickers at low speeds, like six mile run red trail from the Jacques lane lot, but when I come up to a double somewhere at decent speed I'm too afraid to case it on my hardtail and go over the bars. Are there any places around that have good jumps to kind of work my way up on? Maybe a couple different types to familiarize myself, doesn't have to be all one location. Thanks!

qclabrat

Try some pump tracks in the area. There's one in West Milford and another down by Trenton

Mountain Bike Mike

Tabletops are a safe way to get air and not die if you come up short....

There's nothing more butt puckering than hitting a new to you gap for the first time and realizing you're not going to make it.... You need to do this as well so you can learn how to bail without major injury. 6 mile has a couple "safer" small gapped sets on red just after the split to blue (very close to middlebush.

Try local skateparks... The small boxes usually have a small kicker on one side and an run out landing on the opposite.. It's a pretty controlled consistent setup which will allow you to experiment and gradually work up to clearing the top and landing both tires on the backside / landing.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
+1 on Skateparks. There's billions of them around so it's pretty easy to hit close to home and work on hucking the gnar. Otherwise, just hit it. YOLO.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

There's nothing more butt puckering than hitting a new to you gap for the first time and realizing you're not going to make it.... You need to do this as well so you can learn how to bail without major injury. 6 mile has a couple "safer" small gapped sets on red just after the split to blue (very close to middlebush.

Try local skateparks... The small boxes usually have a small kicker on one side and an run out landing on the opposite.. It's a pretty controlled consistent setup which will allow you to experiment and gradually work up to clearing the top and landing both tires on the backside / landing.

Thx! This is where I was planning to teach myself to use flats in preparation for SoP. (Different thread;) ) skate park is one I hadn’t thought of..... might be a real good option for me.

Carey B

I'll definitely try a skatepark, haven't been to one since I broke my leg skating at the incline club 12 years ago. Those gaps at six mile always tempt me, and the one time I went counter clockwise I almost accidentally hit one and it freaked me out a little. Ten years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I have responsibilities. Sucks.

Mountain Bike Mike

I'll definitely try a skatepark, haven't been to one since I broke my leg skating at the incline club 12 years ago. Those gaps at six mile always tempt me, and the one time I went counter clockwise I almost accidentally hit one and it freaked me out a little. Ten years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I have responsibilities. Sucks.

Good Luck ans don’t get hurt!

qclabrat

upload_2017-11-9_11-23-43.png

they say BMX bikes only on some rules posted, does that mean DJs are out?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
they say BMX bikes only on some rules posted, does that mean DJs are out?
Chatham is a "no bike" skatepark AND it's in the parking lot of the police station, so...
I've been to Woodbridge and Islin and those are good choices with small boxes.

Gnick

Where are some good places to practice different types of jumps? I can hit kickers at low speeds, like six mile run red trail from the Jacques lane lot, but when I come up to a double somewhere at decent speed I'm too afraid to case it on my hardtail and go over the bars. Are there any places around that have good jumps to kind of work my way up on? Maybe a couple different types to familiarize myself, doesn't have to be all one location. Thanks!
i built one of these to get used to leaving the ground -

i just huck it in my back yard. its helped me feel much more comfortable on the trail.

rick81721

Lothar

Why? High risk, not worth it.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
for my dirt jump fix i usually go to highbridge in NY or Cunningham in Queens NY both offer some single track with various man made features ranging from small pump track stuff to legit gap jumps

Top Bottom