Where/how to get rid of water softener salt tank?

rlb

I tossed the softener but I still have the salt tank full of salt. I'll try the twp dump but I'm not expecting them to accept it. Any ideas on where to get rid of it?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your supposed to get rid of water softener after you deplete salt in tank.

Find someone with water softener that needs salt?

rick81721

Lothar
I tossed the softener but I still have the salt tank full of salt. I'll try the twp dump but I'm not expecting them to accept it. Any ideas on where to get rid of it?

Assuming it's metal? Twp dump should take it, ours accepts metal in a separate area

ChrisRU

Put the salt in garbage bags and get rid of it one bag at a time with your regular garbage? Reciprocating saw, a couple of garbage bags, and same process for tank?

When I bought our house the softener had been bypassed for a while so i cleaned it all out and started fresh. The salt is heavy don't ask me how I know the garbage men won't be happy if you put out all at once. I assume you can dump yours out if you're pulling it, but if you need to get the salt out first a shop vac works well.

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1d01c4c24a62b42e95097478529f581b.jpg

jackx

Put the salt in garbage bags and get rid of it one bag at a time with your regular garbage? Reciprocating saw, a couple of garbage bags, and same process for tank?
I almost think the towns expect or encourage this now. Put the Sawzall to work and almost anything will fit.

I don't know about your towns, but mine now uses these huge 95-gallon mini-dumpsters that are lifted by new trucks. I only wheel it out once every 3 or 4 weeks because it is so voluminous.

rlb

Assuming it's metal? Twp dump should take it, ours accepts metal in a separate area

Nah it's plastic, the tank is the easy part. It's still about 50% full of salt. Will try the first Saturday hazardous waste as you suggested

rlb

When I bought our house the softener had been bypassed for a while so i cleaned it all out and started fresh. The salt is heavy don't ask me how I know the garbage men won't be happy if you put out all at once. I assume you can dump yours out if you're pulling it, but if you need to get the salt out first a shop vac works well.

I might have to resort to this, but hopefully not. Would rather get this thing out of my way sooner than later!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Can you pour the salt into a public pool while no one is looking and then get rid of the container by burning it with your spare tires? Are these legitimate options for you? I don't know how NJ authorities react to that kind of outside-the-box thinking, but - true story - they frown on it here in PA.

rlb

Can you pour the salt into a public pool while no one is looking and then get rid of the container by burning it with your spare tires? Are these legitimate options for you? I don't know how NJ authorities react to that kind of outside-the-box thinking, but - true story - they frown on it here in PA.

I think @pearl's suggestion would go over better. That's if I could get to 90mph on 287.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There is a dumping location just east of sandy hook.

Picture of salt. I might be able to use it in my softener

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My parents moved one of those in the mid 90's to their house one town over. Was a complete bitch.

They use the salt on the steps in the winter. I think they still do. My childhood was going downstairs with a hammer and pick to break it up to throw on the ice.

I don't envy you.

Top Bottom