Wheelbuilders in central NJ or send it out?

I'm looking for experience/suggestions on having my mountain bike wheels redone, the hubs are good but the spokes are failing and while I'm at this I'd like to upgrade to carbon rims as well. I'm very close to Planet Bike EB but I don't believe they have a wheel builder in house, Halter's is about an hour drive as are most shops. I'm also looking for rim recommendations, I'd like to go with something around 35mm outside width, I have a second set of aluminum rims made by Syntace of that width and really love riding them. I guess I could also cut the spokes, send the hubs out and use a wheelbuilder out of state but if there's a good shop in my area up to the task I'd rather support them and deal locally. Independent wheel builders would also be an option. TIA

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I always say to give it a go yourself.
Plenty of DIY stuff online.
I bought the roger munsen digital book years ago.
Nothing more satisfying then a set of wheels you built.
Not something you want to learn then use Jay or Jim for central area.

02camaro

I'm looking for experience/suggestions on having my mountain bike wheels redone, the hubs are good but the spokes are failing and while I'm at this I'd like to upgrade to carbon rims as well. I'm very close to Planet Bike EB but I don't believe they have a wheel builder in house, Halter's is about an hour drive as are most shops. I'm also looking for rim recommendations, I'd like to go with something around 35mm outside width, I have a second set of aluminum rims made by Syntace of that width and really love riding them. I guess I could also cut the spokes, send the hubs out and use a wheelbuilder out of state but if there's a good shop in my area up to the task I'd rather support them and deal locally. Independent wheel builders would also be an option. TIA

Needed a wheel re-built from scratch, tried to true it myself and few striped some nipples and broke spokes etc, I'm and idiot.. I live in Milltown so I tried planet bike and the wheel was came back worse that what it was when I tried to fix it, told me rim was shot and needed to be replaced. I brought it to Halters and it came back perfect and with faster turn around, it is about 30 minutes from me depending on traffic on rt1.

Take it for what its worth, I don't want to bash any shop just stating what happened

RSAmerica

Dave Thomas, Speed Dream Wheels. He's been building my wheels since the '90's. Bullet proof and at a fair price.

Needed a wheel re-built from scratch, tried to true it myself and few striped some nipples and broke spokes etc, I'm and idiot.. I live in Milltown so I tried planet bike and the wheel was came back worse that what it was when I tried to fix it, told me rim was shot and needed to be replaced. I brought it to Halters and it came back perfect and with faster turn around, it is about 30 minutes from me depending on traffic on rt1.

Take it for what its worth, I don't want to bash any shop just stating what happened

I got that impression too, thanks for sharing your experience honestly.

Fire Lord Jim

Mike @ Wheelfine in Lambertville is an ace wheel builder. He may even have you step on a scale. He can build a wheel to your body! I broke a spoke on a Rolf low-spoke wheel -- no parts available -- and Mike put it true using parts from two other manufacturers.

I build my own wheels, but when in over my head, I go to Mike.

Top Bottom