What's good, what's not

freshmtb

I actually bought a case to carry my Beats Pill on my camelbak so I could listen to music while riding. You can have it loud enough so you can hear it, but you don't want it so loud you sound like "that guy" in the mcdonalds parking lot with a 96 Civic cranking music trying to look "cool" lol

LMAO. I don't understand why they do that in McDonald's though.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So yesterday I was riding Hartshorne. I was having a pretty good ride, for me at least. Anyway, anyone familiar with Hartshorne will know that it's neglected by the Monmouth County Park System so it is heavily eroded, etc. Whatever. I was 75% of the way up a particularly challenging, rooty, eroded, fall line climb. Line choice is critical to have any hope of clearing this climb. Down comes a trail runner, of course right in the line I needed to be on. I opted try and take an alternate line requiring me to attempt to climb a 12" ledge/eroded root with minimal momentum. This is above my ability and resulted in me not clearing the climb not to mention taking a tumble.

I was pretty pissed. Do I have a right to be? I know bikes yield to other trail users but the reality is I was going uphill on a particularly grueling section of trail. All the trail runner had to do was slow down a half step or go to the side for a second and I would have happily rode past. This would seemingly have no impact on her run.

I guess I just needed to rant. I suppose I need to practice some trials skills to be able to track stand better and hop uphill.

Frank

Sasquatch
So yesterday I was riding Hartshorne. I was having a pretty good ride, for me at least. Anyway, anyone familiar with Hartshorne will know that it's neglected by the Monmouth County Park System so it is heavily eroded, etc. Whatever. I was 75% of the way up a particularly challenging, rooty, eroded, fall line climb. Line choice is critical to have any hope of clearing this climb. Down comes a trail runner, of course right in the line I needed to be on. I opted try and take an alternate line requiring me to attempt to climb a 12" ledge/eroded root with minimal momentum. This is above my ability and resulted in me not clearing the climb not to mention taking a tumble.

I was pretty pissed. Do I have a right to be? I know bikes yield to other trail users but the reality is I was going uphill on a particularly grueling section of trail. All the trail runner had to do was slow down a half step or go to the side for a second and I would have happily rode past. This would seemingly have no impact on her run.

I guess I just needed to rant. I suppose I need to practice some trials skills to be able to track stand better and hop uphill.
Well........you said it yourself, she had the right of way. Now let's talk about courtesy.....she obviously showed zero. Many hikers/runners will step aside and let us through, I always go out of my way to thank those few, but in the end, it's their option.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I would give her a benefit of the doubt and say she prolly didn't know. Unless one is a mtber, I doubt they know which line a rider would prefer to take.

Jbyrd13

First post in this form! Moved form the Oregon coast to New Jersey. The biggest issues I've seen are people not picking up their trash or their dogs poo. Now for the positive: If a rider is new to a particular trail offer guidance, especially any safety issues; always offer to help a rider who is down or down with a mechanical; join a local trail building group/mountain bike group. If passing by other riders/hikers/horses let them know if other riders are coming.

Top Bottom