What's a good rim?

xc62701

Looking for something with lighter weight in mind and able to setup tubeless and around 80 mm? Thoughts? I have the marge lite but not very easy to set up tubeless.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I like the DT Swiss br710 and Bontrager Jackalope. Both are light and easy to set up tubeless. If you want to get your hands on Jackalopes, I know a guy.

sjeronis

Borealis is selling their 100mms tubeless ready wheel set for $299. I don't know the quality but you can't beat that price. I ordered a set.

Last edited:

xc62701

Hmm not too sold on the carbon rims for fatties. I need something more durable so I'm staying with alum and 80's so I can fit 4.6-5's on my ride.

xc62701

I like the DT Swiss br710 and Bontrager Jackalope. Both are light and easy to set up tubeless. If you want to get your hands on Jackalopes, I know a guy.

How easy are the dt's to set up tubeless? These are leading so far...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude I am a fat bastard and ride mooch trails pretty exclusively and have 18 wheeler skills. Carbon is ok and cheap if you go light bicycle/nextie route. Light Bicycle went exclusively to rims only and there price point is hard to resist. Super super easy to set up toobless.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Maybe take a look at the new Darryl's also. 80mm tubeless. Or the new HEDs if you want baller status aluminum wheels.

sjeronis

Borealis is selling their 100mms tubeless ready wheel set for $299. I don't know the quality but you can't beat that price. I ordered a set.
The rear is 1490g (3.263 lbs). Front 1376g (3.033 lbs). The rim strips are .25lbs each. I'll probably look for lighter rim strips.

thegock

Hmm not too sold on the carbon rims for fatties. I need something more durable so I'm staying with alum and 80's so I can fit 4.6-5's on my ride.

My Nexties are 14 months old, I weigh 190 this afternoon and ride Chimney Rock and they have held up great. YMMV

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Ryan, you still looking for rims? Lemme know, I got a 90 mm set you can ride to see what you think of wider rim. Rims are Alex Blizzerk 90s and set up tubeless super easy. They are single wall in the center and double wall at the tubeless shelf. They quote 830 grams, but mine were under 800. Cost about $110 a piece. Its a pinned seam, but they are strong and I've had no issues yet. Fyi, Alex makes the rim extrusions for most major manufacturers out there, including Surly. Just a thought, and you don't have to break the bank.

xc62701

I would like to try them but with knee surgery next Tuesday it's not likely to happen :( I do have a set of Stans Hugo's to build up while I'm recovering.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I would like to try them but with knee surgery next Tuesday it's not likely to happen :( I do have a set of Stans Hugo's to build up while I'm recovering.
Well heal up and let me know if ya need a hand building up the Hugos

Top Bottom