What tree should I plant

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Just had our only south facing tree dropped so I'd like to replace it and I'm looking for recommendations. There is about 40 feet of space between the house and the power lines where I'd like it to go to provide shade(when I am most likely X_X). It be cool if it produced fruit but I'd really like it to provide for bees. so yea what do I get?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fruit trees don't really produce good fruit unless they're small and well trimmed, so I don't see much shade from something like that. They also won't grow very quickly, again, if you want shade. My parents used to have a couple unkempt apple trees which were cool, but they were just a buffet for deer and eventually were infested with carpenter ants. If you can keep that under control, they smell good and always had a ton of bees visiting. I vote for bamboo to turn your yard into an uncontrollable jungle!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Fruit trees don't really produce good fruit unless they're small and well trimmed, so I don't see much shade from something like that. They also won't grow very quickly, again, if you want shade. My parents used to have a couple unkempt apple trees which were cool, but they were just a buffet for deer and eventually were infested with carpenter ants. If you can keep that under control, they smell good and always had a ton of bees visiting. I vote for bamboo to turn your yard into an uncontrollable jungle!

There is a house I use to pass in boonton when I lived in lake hiawatha, they have bamboo, and now so do all their neighbors. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Aren't the toxic to other plants also won't that kill my lawnmower when I am hitting walnuts

we had one growing up
a) I have no clue but there was plenty of grass and other plants growing up to it. . . .
b) no, the walnuts are not light enough for the blades to suck em up and hit them (unless you cut real short), even when we did hit them they just bounced around as they broke into a million pieces . . . . . never hurt anything (except maybe any small animals who got in there way)

Captain Brainstorm

Just had our only south facing tree dropped so I'd like to replace it and I'm looking for recommendations. There is about 40 feet of space between the house and the power lines where I'd like it to go to provide shade(when I am most likely X_X). It be cool if it produced fruit but I'd really like it to provide for bees. so yea what do I get?

I'm in the exact same predicament. I liked the oaks that were there, but hated the acorns and fuzzy crap that clogged my gutters in the spring. I'm going with an Autumn Glory maple.

RobW

how the F do you tell if a tree is facing one direction? it grows straight up (some) and limbs shoot out in all directions.... im confused

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
how the F do you tell if a tree is facing one direction? it grows straight up (some) and limbs shoot out in all directions.... im confused

Trees grow towards the sun but yeah this tree is on the south side of my house which is where the sun is in the summer

Top Bottom