What tool is overlooked far to often that every biker should own?

one piece crank

How old is that wheel? I am far from being a millennial and have been working on my bikes since I was 11-12 but I've never seen one of those!

Serioulsy? I guess that is possible if you only ride multi-speed bikes. I've got several on bikes I built new from 1988 up to 2009, plus a box of "old" threaded hubs & FW's that get recycled now and then.

Mathers

You can use a shoe lace.... or any string strong enough. Loop around the quick link and strangle that mofo!
Thats what i thought. I haven't played with bikes in a long time but I sure as shit never had all these tools when i was younger and found a way.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Thats what i thought. I haven't played with bikes in a long time but I sure as shit never had all these tools when i was younger and found a way.
Yeah... but just easier with the proper tools
I once used a pipe wrench to take off a threaded bb

serviceguy

Serioulsy? I guess that is possible if you only ride multi-speed bikes. I've got several on bikes I built new from 1988 up to 2009, plus a box of "old" threaded hubs & FW's that get recycled now and then.

Seriously, I only had a SS for a few years when I was...6, and that was 1972. I wasn't thinkering with my bikes back then. Every single bike after that had at least 3 speeds. First bike I started messing around with was in mid to late 1970s and was a Bianchi 2x5 speed, not sure what it was.

w_b

wait, what? you need a tool to disassemble the no-tools-required quick link? take your gloves off, push together (on the pins' axis) then push together (on the chainline axis.) What am I missing?

serviceguy

That Bianchi had a thread-on FW. Pretty much every FW was up through the late 1980's when the cassette began to take over.

I must have forgotten, not that I would take apart the wheels anyway back then (I would have but I wasn't allowed, just brake cables, brake pads, shifter cables etc.).
I must be a millennial cyclingly speaking after all!

Karate Monkey

wait, what? you need a tool to disassemble the no-tools-required quick link? take your gloves off, push together (on the pins' axis) then push together (on the chainline axis.) What am I missing?

Everything over 9 speed has a secondary 'lock' (small area of a slightly-tighter-fit) that you can't power past by hand alone.

That said, you can remove them with a rock and brains, or a shoelace, as mentioned. Loop through, grab a stick, and tourniquet it off.

qclabrat

How old is that wheel? I am far from being a millennial and have been working on my bikes since I was 11-12 but I've never seen one of those!
freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

serviceguy

??‍♂️, still don’t get it
You don't get the band itself or the fact they I keep them on the seatpost ?
They're there just in case I need them. I used them to hold a spare tube on the frame, a multitool under the seat etc.

Top Bottom