What tool is overlooked far to often that every biker should own?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Just bought a hanger alignment tool and I've used it twice this weekend, setting up my new hanger and straightening it after ramapo took it's shots at it. It's made my shifting much nicer... So it's got me wondering what other tool(s) is life changing. I'm considering park cable cutters next

rick81721

Lothar
Tool

Tool: (noun)

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

3.) Someone who others normally refer to as a prick, dick, or schmuck.

4.) Someone who acts like a dick, because...well...he's compensating.

5.) Kanye West

Example:

Observer #1: Hey, did you see Kanye West's idiotic stunt at the awards show?

Observer #2: Oh, you mean, "Mr. It's-All-About Me?"

Observer #1: Yeah...what an asshole.

Observer #2: I know. He's such a tool!

Attachments

• 1546281189611.gif
    1546281189611.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 99
  • 1546281189363.gif
    1546281189363.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 73

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Tool

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

5.) Kanye West

Example:

Go sniff a saddle

Kaleidopete

Tool

5.) Kanye West

Example:

Ray Liotta in yesterdays movie said to a guy "there are two kind of people in this world, assholes & pricks. You're an asshole & I'm a prick" Ha, funny!

RobW

Tool

5.) Kanye West

Example:

Defines some people here!

@Miracle Max Saved Norm's Ride Today
Definitely a chain whip

w_b

chain tool ( and the ability to use it.)

LOL this clown I used to ride with's middle name is "I can top you"; if you said you did ten things yesterday, he did eleven before breakfast. That type.

He was a real brute on bikes too; thought he was all the shit when he broke his chain in the woods he busted out his chain breaker then we all sat there and watched while he made four chains out of one. Wat a maroon.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
chain tool ( and the ability to use it.)

LOL this clown I used to ride with's middle name is "I can top you"; if you said you did ten things yesterday, he did eleven before breakfast. That type.

He was a real brute on bikes too; thought he was all the shit when he broke his chain in the woods he busted out his chain breaker then we all sat there and watched while he made four chains out of one. Wat a maroon.

At the beginning of the year I would say I was able to put a bike together... I feel confident say I can now put a bike together and have it working. @Paul H saw me do sum dumb shit when I put my new groupset on lol

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
which one do you have?

in spite of my signature line(its more in reference to removing than installing lol), i have three that i use on bike stuff, two harbor freight wrenches (1/4 and 3/8 drive) and my go to now (i just got it for xmas but its great) is the park tool ATD-1.2, 5 or 6 preset torques and it covers most of the stuff im regularly working with on the bike (seat post collar, brake/shifter brackets ect). I dont bother torqueing pedals since they are threaded to tighten as you ride i just anti-sieze em and go.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a set of metric 1/4 drives (no name brand, may be harbor freight) but most of the bike stuff is hex (allen) or torqx key, so i have a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter (i think this was also a harbor freight set which has all the adapters you could reasonably want to use for like $8) to use the 3/8 drive sets which are easier to find with the 1/4 inch wrench when the lower torque limits present themselves.

qclabrat

in spite of my signature line(its more in reference to removing than installing lol), i have three that i use on bike stuff, two harbor freight wrenches (1/4 and 3/8 drive) and my go to now (i just got it for xmas but its great) is the park tool ATD-1.2, 5 or 6 preset torques and it covers most of the stuff im regularly working with on the bike (seat post collar, brake/shifter brackets ect). I dont bother torqueing pedals since they are threaded to tighten as you ride i just anti-sieze em and go.
I had a 1/4 HF wrench when working on my zero turn mower. It was completely off and chewed up my clutch. The 3/8 also seems like quite a bit higher torque than an old 1/2 Craftsman I have, I rarely buy tools from HF for this reason. Think it will be worth the $100 for a decent wrench. Btw, which adapters are you using for Allen keys? I don't have carbon anymore, but probably good to follow torque specs anywho.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i happen to have access to calibration equipment at work, and the ones i bought (i cant say all of them) are right where they belong (actually within 1% iirc). The 3/8 is definitely a higher torque than you need for most bike stuff, but the 1/4 works well (just have to convert NM to inlbs. . . ) I have a $150 craftsman 1/2 drive that i use for most car stuff (it does up to 250 ft-lbs), if i find a good deal on a 1/4 one i may upgrade, but with the known point of mine at this point its not a huge concern(i did have the concern that they would be inaccurate junk, but they seem to be good, as are a couple of my friends who have bought them recently, HF seems to be stepping up their game lately)

i think these are the adapters that i have https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-high-visibility-socket-adapter-set-62851.html

i also like HFs lifetime guarantee on pittsburgh tools, if you break it they replace it (this includes torque wrenches) so the sockets/keys im perfectly ok buying from them.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Just bought a hanger alignment tool and I've used it twice this weekend, setting up my new hanger and straightening it after ramapo took it's shots at it. It's made my shifting much nicer... So it's got me wondering what other tool(s) is life changing. I'm considering park cable cutters next
The cable cutters are a must have. A lot of people use electrical wire cutters but they are not the same.

Top Bottom