What tool is overlooked far to often that every biker should own?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Speaking of facing, I had a hardtail many years ago. It always had a chunky headset. No matter what. Even Chris King couldn’t help. Faced that head tube musta been like 0.025” off parallel. Not enough O’s in smooooth forevermore....

holy shit those are expensive

Reactions: w_b

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
97EC1CF1-0C5A-46CB-9742-D78A9ABDAEFA.jpeg

Ok, ok. A proper chain breaker.

Xler8

A pair of dedicated cable cutters (Park makes a good one) is almost a must if you plan on doing that type of work.

02camaro

i think a nice bike stand is really something that people think they dont need but once they finally get one they cant believe they went without it. i was one of those. also a proper bleed kit for whatever brakes you have is essential.

and finally not all allen/hex keys are created equal. cheap ones arent made with the same tolerances as the nice ones. cant speak for park tools but i use my snap-on ones daily, i love em.
https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Hex-S...ll-Hex-Wrench-Set-2-ndash-10-mm--P645984.aspx

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Speaking of facing, I had a hardtail many years ago. It always had a chunky headset. No matter what. Even Chris King couldn’t help. Faced that head tube musta been like 0.025” off parallel. Not enough O’s in smooooth forevermore....

My Rusty bike has an original King headset in it. Always put in a freshly faced frame. I've yet to own a modern bike with the same smoothness even with replacing bearings every few months.

stilluf

I usually ride with a LL Bean multi-tool that includes needle nose pliers. This function has saved rides more than once. In addition, it has a bottle opener; the absence of this critical tool undoubtedly creates the most sadness.

SmooveP

Overlooked? I have a pretty solid selection of bike tools, but when I got a new bike, I quickly realized I didn't have the special tools for a new BB type, brake bleed kit, DM chainring removal, etc. Always good to take inventory when you get a new bike. Even little things like extra quick links for that new 12spd drivetrain, the right type of brake fluid and spare derailleur hangers.

qclabrat

I usually ride with a LL Bean multi-tool that includes needle nose pliers. This function has saved rides more than once. In addition, it has a bottle opener; the absence of this critical tool undoubtedly creates the most sadness.
Pliers for a riding is a must especially in cold. A few times, I was not able to open or close a tubeless valve. During the winter I usually prefer using tubes to avoid sticky valves

Dingo

My home-made DU bushing removal/installer. It's been used many times before 'the' ride to help out other riders with clunk noise. Using a large rock in the parking lot for support.
Glad it has not been needed for a while. Those interupted seat post frames would eat bushings like candy.

Common sense is the most important tool to have.

Attachments

• 20190101_184808.jpg
    20190101_184808.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 90

one piece crank

First, I'd have to say my shop/workspace. Essentially a two-car garage that no one else uses (?), that is always full of vehicular and cycling projects (that I can let sit if needed). This also affords me the space to make tools, like PVC fork seal drivers, and do any bike task short of welding.

Second to this is a hanging bike stand. I've hung my bikes to work on them since I started wrenching. I'm used to it and prefer it to my Park stand. Adding a short lenght of rope is also a simple work-around for dropper posts.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
4th hand. I don't think anybody mentioned it. Along with the wire cutter a must have for me.
View attachment 84534
This does make things easier but what I basically do is get the chain to the 2nd cog and drop the shifter to the 1st gear without moving the chain.
So the chain stays in the 2nd cog while the shifter is at 1st. Then I pull the cable by hand or plier and tighten the bolt. Drop the chain back down to 1st and there is no slack. Only requires slight adjustments via barrel adjuster.

Top Bottom