What to do about unleashed dogs

rojasj

Okay, first statement is that I am both a dog and cat lover. I've had one dog and two cats and they never ever saw a bad day and I loved all three unconditionally, spoled them and always cared for them. I would make sure they were fed before was. That being said I've been ridng the trails in Ramapo for about a year now and there are dog owners that think it's great to have thier less than obediante dog run around unleashed which of course leads to me getting chased by the dog. Yesterday being no different and I really thought this dog was going to be a problem for me. It's not any specific dog, it's a bunch of them as this is happening more and more often as other dog owners see other unleashed dogs. So the question is what agency can be contacted about this and is it even worth wasting my time? If not then what do you guys do when dealing with these pain in the ass dogs?

rojasj

There is no "agency" to call. If there is a park ranger right there that would be your only chance. When dogs chase me running or riding I keep moving - let the stupid dog owners run to try to catch up to their dogs.

I figured as much. Today was the best one, "oh, don't worry he only bites tires". Really? He only bites tires, WTF? Well the dog is goona get a mouthfull of tire sealent and they owners are going yo owe me a tire. And 99% of the time it's the 50LB and smalled dogs that are a pain in the arse.

Later on I came across a German Shepard Dog and the owner. The dog was leashed, the owner told him to stop, sit and wait as he let me pass by. The GSD sat, waited and just looked at me as I went by, no movement at all ojn the dogs part other than looking at me with very calm and observant eyes. I've run into this dog and the owner before and I have to say it's a very well trained dog.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
It’s the owners fault, not the dogs. The dog is just doing what dogs do. There’s a leash law I most NJ parks, it’s usually right there in black and white in the parking lot. It’s all fun and games till your dog bites or knocks the wrong person off the bike, then your ass is getting sued and your dog is being put down.

German Shepards are amazing dogs, so easy to train. I’ve had three, even trained them to take cans and other things to the garbage, the kind you have to push to open the lids. As smart as Shepard’s, Rottis, and other big dogs are, they always need to be leashed because what they are capable of doing if they’re scared, startled, or threatened. Plus people are intimidated by them, it’s the responsible thing to do.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
More annoying for me are the dogs that decide to stop right in the middle of the trail. I don't want to end up hitting one.

I've only ever had one encounter that had me anxious. I was climbing at Hartshorne and was either in first or second gear so barely moving and this dog was right on my "heels" barking quite aggressively and not obeying the owner. There was no way I was going to go any faster at that point but the dog eventually lost interest. I came across the same dog and owner later in the ride and had a similar experience but that time I was on flatter ground. I actually stopped and quite pointedly told the owner he better get the dog on a leash. He looked pretty surprised that I said something. If he had a response I didn't hear it as I rode away.

I see no problem with being vocal in an appropriate way to make people uncomfortable about their poor decisions.

Reactions: rlb

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
oday was the best one, "oh, don't worry he only bites tires". Really? He only bites tires, WTF?

I had a woman at the Tourne tell me this once when her dog was pretty aggressively barking at me. I was like, "it's cool, but fyi that tire was $120." I don't think she could have physically moved faster to try and grab ahold of her dog.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Your first mistake is riding Ramapo. There are way too many casual hikers and locals who take their dogs there. In 25 years I’ve had maybe 3 instances on a trail where a dog behaved badly. Ride somewhere else if it’s happening often.

Wolfjon

Ever pick up your bike only to find dog S__t on your hands!
Yes 2 weeks ago we rode The Jim Thorpe railway.. 2 miles from the end I started smelling it... sure enough my lovely b+ tires flung it up my backside... then of course I pick up the bike and get it on my hands you should have heard the words just flaming out of my mouth...

Okay, first statement is that I am both a dog and cat lover. I've had one dog and two cats and they never ever saw a bad day and I loved all three unconditionally, spoled them and always cared for them. I would make sure they were fed before was. That being said I've been ridng the trails in Ramapo for about a year now and there are dog owners that think it's great to have thier less than obediante dog run around unleashed which of course leads to me getting chased by the dog. Yesterday being no different and I really thought this dog was going to be a problem for me. It's not any specific dog, it's a bunch of them as this is happening more and more often as other dog owners see other unleashed dogs. So the question is what agency can be contacted about this and is it even worth wasting my time? If not then what do you guys do when dealing with these pain in the ass dogs?

let the dogs be dogs... Ramapo is predominantly hikers who would love to stop biking... here's an idea if you see a dog maybe slow down and stop worryingly about your strata

Yes 2 weeks ago we rode The Jim Thorpe railway.. 2 miles from the end I started smelling it... sure enough my lovely b+ tires flung it up my backside... then of course I pick up the bike and get it on my hands you should have heard the words just flaming out of my mouth...
Wahhh

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don’t wear your meat helmet on the trail.
This will also stop bears and other animals from trying to eat you.
Or, find a buddy who’s slower than you. Give him the meat helmet.

rojasj

More annoying for me are the dogs that decide to stop right in the middle of the trail. I don't want to end up hitting one.

I've only ever had one encounter that had me anxious. I was climbing at Hartshorne and was either in first or second gear so barely moving and this dog was right on my "heels" barking quite aggressively and not obeying the owner. There was no way I was going to go any faster at that point but the dog eventually lost interest. I came across the same dog and owner later in the ride and had a similar experience but that time I was on flatter ground. I actually stopped and quite pointedly told the owner he better get the dog on a leash. He looked pretty surprised that I said something. If he had a response I didn't hear it as I rode away.

I see no problem with being vocal in an appropriate way to make people uncomfortable about their poor decisions.

The next time I plan n being vocal about it. It's really starting to piss me off to say the least.

rojasj

Your first mistake is riding Ramapo. There are way too many casual hikers and locals who take their dogs there. In 25 years I’ve had maybe 3 instances on a trail where a dog behaved badly. Ride somewhere else if it’s happening often.

Perhaps but I do not have the extra time to drive all the way to Ringwood to ride nor should I have to due to irresponsible people.

Top Bottom