What tiresto use

Jason Gunter

Hey guys and girls. I'm looking to get new tires for my mtb. I have a 2017 trek marlin 7. Currently have bonty XR2. The front is a 2.2 and the rear is a 2.0. I was thinking of going 2.3 in the front and 2.2 in the rear. I was think maybe the maybe the XR3 OR 4 I am looking for something with a little more grip especially for rocks and roots. I ride mostly at mahlon dickerson, Lewis Morris, and jungle. I do hit up some of the other trails in the area also. Your advice would be great. Thanks!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I liked the xr3 s. I think you're on the right track with the sizes too

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thank you for your input. Do you think I should consider other brands

There's a million different tires and it's all personal preference. If you found something you like stick to it. Or venture out to the unknown and try something new. But if you ask 10 people what tires they like, you'll likely get 10 different answers.

qclabrat

^truth, I like the xr4s, solid aggressive rubber. You could go with a new front tire and move the xr2 2.2 to the rear. If it works out, buy the other. If not, you're only out one tire.

Jason Gunter

Thank you I figure I would get a bunch of different opinions. I wanted to be looking in the right direction and not be looking at tires that can't handle these kind of conditions.

mustclime

Hey guys and girls. I'm looking to get new tires for my mtb. I have a 2017 trek marlin 7. Currently have bonty XR2. The front is a 2.2 and the rear is a 2.0. I was thinking of going 2.3 in the front and 2.2 in the rear. I was think maybe the maybe the XR3 OR 4 I am looking for something with a little more grip especially for rocks and roots. I ride mostly at mahlon dickerson, Lewis Morris, and jungle. I do hit up some of the other trails in the area also. Your advice would be great. Thanks!
For winter I like to ride 4.8 tires but now that spring is here, I step down to 4.0’s or 3.8’s. 2.2-2.3 are roadie tires and I have no doubt you are having traction problems. ;)

qclabrat

^sorta true
The hot tires last year were in the 2.5-2.6 range, for exactly the reasons you're looking for, more grip/traction. But Schwalbe HansD are still one of the grippiest tires I own and they are only about 2.3. Many bikes can't fit the wider tires so don't buy unless you are sure. If you are nearby, I can loan you a set of Schwalbes for a ride or two. Lmk

Last edited:

Jason Gunter

Switching to the new tires is also the reason why I wanna go tubeless. The tires on the bike now are not tubeless. The mechanic at the lbs told me he even tried going tubeless on the XR2 and he had a lot of trouble converting.

Jason Gunter

Knobbyhead I was looking at the Conti and was considering them but I saw a lot of reviews saying they had problems with them tubeless like not sealing and sealant leaking out of the sidewalls

mustclime

You didn’t say if your bike was a 29er or a 27.5, they make the small on in 27.5. If it’s a 29er, I would suggest you think about looking into a 27.5 plus setup..... most 29ers can go to 27.5 plus size.

Top Bottom