What tiresto use

goldsbar

I was curious enough to see if Trek was actually making a mountain bike in 2017- even at the lower end - that couldn't fit a 2.2. Based on a quick Google search, it appears not. Seems like people put on a 2.2 no problem.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Knobbyhead I was looking at the Conti and was considering them but I saw a lot of reviews saying they had problems with them tubeless like not sealing and sealant leaking out of the sidewalls

I've had no issues when I mounted my tires the 1st time tubeless. I had to remount them cause the rear tire was mounted funny and had a wouble. When I mounted them again, I really didn't clean the sealant from the edges of my tires and it did leak for a bit but never from the sidewalls. but they did eventually sealed. BTW, I am using bontrager sealant. Maye I'm lucky.

DPLEVY

Switch to tubeless ASAP and get you some Maxxis Ikons or Ardent. I ran Ikon 2.3/2.2 combo all year last year. Awesome stuff. Nice and light and fast rolling and just enough grip to get you over just about anything.

qclabrat

Switch to tubeless ASAP and get you some Maxxis Ikons or Ardent. I ran Ikon 2.3/2.2 combo all year last year. Awesome stuff. Nice and light and fast rolling and just enough grip to get you over just about anything.
Do you have trouble with the Ikons not shedding mud in the spring? Racing Ralph's have a similar profile, and they don't come out till the trails dry out. This spring probably going with Dirt Wizards and XR4s.

DPLEVY

Do you have trouble with the Ikons not shedding mud in the spring? Racing Ralph's have a similar profile, and they don't come out till the trails dry out. This spring probably going with Dirt Wizards and XR4s.

The Ikon is a pretty good all around tire, but they are definitely not the best in mud. I don't typically ride in mud so it doesn't really bother me, but yeah I've heard from others mud is not their strong suit.

2WHLZ

Here is my two cents that no one asked for... Please note that I am just an occasional, intermediate rider so take this all with that in mind.

In my experience north NJ trails are grippy and you don't need super aggressive treads, in fact I have had fun on the trails with mtb sized road tires on occasion. If you want to stick to rocks and roots you should be looking for a soft rubber and lots of surface contact i.e. a tight tread pattern (you will also want low pressure to conform to your surfaces). Wide tires are helpful because you have more contact area and can run lower pressures. You want it to be a fast rolling tire so that you are not putting in more effort then you need to. The exceptions to this rule for me are if you are doing steep climbs or fast downhills often. In those cases you will see a benefit with harder lugs with a loose pattern. Big, wide spaced lugs are also good for mud but as has been said here a few times "don't ride mud" because it destroys the trails. My opinion is that really agressive tires have their uses but they are limited and the reason that they are so popular is that they look cool.. Please feel free to hate on this opinion below.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
ok i poo pooed tires making much of a difference, now I take it back. The traction on my 2.8" rocket ron (rear) blows on rocks. Yesterday I kept trying to get thru a rock garden at the sourlands that I've never cleared and kept slipping right from the get go. Same issue today at Wayway. Any recos for a 2.8" 27.5+ tire?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
as i said while we were discussing it in the woods, the knobby nics i have hook up pretty good, i havent found myself wanting more traction from them.

Top Bottom