What size are my nipples?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
:) ... spoke nipples you pervs! Broke one the other day. I was planning to hit the shop today to pick up a few spares. Problem is, I forgot the darn spoke. :( So what is a typical size spoke gauge for a modern bike? The spoke is pretty thin but I have no idea. What are the 3 most common sizes?

Thanks.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I think the spokes are butted. 14g or 15g sounds familiar. 13g would be for thicker spokes like on a tandem right? It's been a while since I built a wheel.

Mr.Moto

I think the spokes are butted. 14g or 15g sounds familiar. 13g would be for thicker spokes like on a tandem right? It's been a while since I built a wheel.

Yes, if butted, 14/15ga. is typical. Otherwise straight 14ga. Either way 14ga nipple.

qclabrat

I have some cracked nipples which I cannot use a spoke wrench to remove.
Tried to remove with a screw driver with no luck. Might have loctite on them.
Is only option to cut the spoke or should I first untension all the spokes so that it's easier to remove?

serviceguy

I have some cracked nipples which I cannot use a spoke wrench to remove.
Tried to remove with a screw driver with no luck. Might have loctite on them.
Is only option to cut the spoke or should I first untension all the spokes so that it's easier to remove?
Done that before, I used a visegrip to grab the nipple and unlock it, once the bond if broken it should be easier to get it undone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom