What should a “tune up” entail?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
For you shop keeps and mechanics ... Let’s say a customer brings a high end bike into your shop. You offer a “basic” tune up for a dual suspension MTB. What would be included in this and around how much would you charge?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Adjust brakes, derailleurs, give the bike a “once over” for anything loose and adjust if possible, cranks, headset. $80.

Anything related to replacement or suspension will be more.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1550711116723.gif

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Adjust brakes, derailleurs, give the bike a “once over” for anything loose and adjust if possible, cranks, headset. $80.

Anything related to replacement or suspension will be more.

Would you remove the cassette to check the rear hub and bearings? True the wheels if needed? What kind of adjustment would you make to hydraulic brakes?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Would you remove the cassette to check the rear hub and bearings? True the wheels if needed? What kind of adjustment would you make to hydraulic brakes?
Are you asking what you should do periodically or what a shop does as a tune up?

bergsnj

if i was to pay a shop to "tune up" my bike, i would expect them to disassemble all frame pivots and clean all of the frame bearings, BB and headset/replace as necessary. also make sure the derailuer is shifting perfectly and check the shock and fork operation. I would also clean the bike well before dropping it off.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should ask the shop. Most offer different levels, and prices at those levels.

Otherwise you could easy say a "tune-up" should cost $20 and include taking off the seals on my BB and regreasing the bearings, same with derailleur pulleys and my headset bearings. Adjust the shifting, bleed air out of my brakes, fix all paint chips. :)

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Are you asking what you should do periodically or what a shop does as a tune up?
My question relates to modern bike shops tune ups. As a competent bike mechanic (worked in a shop for 7 years) I am pretty good about keeping my gear running well. As I’ve gotten older and busier (family, work, etc.) I find I don’t have the time. Back in the day, a tune up meant truing both wheels, greasing the hubs, BB and headset, adjusting brake calipers and cables, adjusting front and rear derailleurs... it was a lot of stuff. Now you have sealed bearings throughout, one derailleur and hydraulic brakes.

Don’t get me wrong- I know there’s plenty of work and time spent going over a modern bike. $75-$100 is about what I’d expect to pay. I fully support my LBS and their mechanics. It’s a genuine question that bike owners who are not mechanically inclined might have. :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
if i was to pay a shop to "tune up" my bike, i would expect them to disassemble all frame pivots and clean all of the frame bearings, BB and headset/replace as necessary. also make sure the derailuer is shifting perfectly and check the shock and fork operation. I would also clean the bike well before dropping it off.
I think that is beyond the scope of what a shop calls a tune up. Probably in the $200 range, without parts.

My question relates to modern bike shops tune ups. As a competent bike mechanic (worked in a shop for 7 years) I am pretty good about keeping my gear running well. As I’ve gotten older and busier (family, work, etc.) I find I don’t have the time. Back in the day, a tune up meant truing both wheels, greasing the hubs, BB and headset, adjusting brake calipers and cables, adjusting front and rear derailleurs... it was a lot of stuff. Now you have sealed bearings throughout, one derailleur and hydraulic brakes.

Don’t get me wrong- I know there’s plenty of work and time spent going over a modern bike. $75-$100 is about what I’d expect to pay. I fully support my LBS and their mechanics. It’s a genuine question that bike owners who are not mechanically inclined might have. :)
Peeped some websites, that standard cost does include truing.

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep
Our standard tune up includes the following:

Wheel truing off the bike
Adjustment of headset, BB, hubs, derailleurs, and brakes (Hydro bleed small upcharge)
Wipe down of frame/fork
Clean and relube of drivetrain and components (der. pivots, pulleys, etc)
Retorque all fasteners to manufacturers specifications
Check all pressures (tires, shocks)
Installation of service parts (tires/tubes not included)

Because of collusion laws, I am not at liberty to quote exact pricing, but it is under $100. As we tell customers, it takes care of most of the sins due to rider neglect/abuse/lengthy garage storage.

We also offer more in depth packages for those that require additional services like fork/shock services, etc.

Hope this helps....

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Adjustment of headset, BB, hubs, derailleurs, and brakes (Hydro bleed small upcharge)
Wipe down of frame/fork

Because of collusion laws, I am not at liberty to quote exact pricing, but it is under $100. As we tell customers, it takes care of most of the sins due to rider neglect/abuse/lengthy garage storage.

We also offer more in depth packages for those that require additional services like fork/shock services, etc.

Hope this helps....
Better if someone else quotes it?
https://www.popsbikeshop.com/articles/bike-repair-pg95.htm

cfrone1

Shop: Pops Bike Shop
Shop Keep

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Wipe down of frame/fork

Hope this helps....
That sounds well worth a $100. I used to go to Bay Ridge Bikes in Brooklyn and they'd completely hose down my bike, wipe it clean and lube everything after a tune up. The bike always looked like new when I got it back. It was a nice touch.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My thought is that the biggest value is having a pro look over the bike.
I can tweak and align, but having someone say it is time to replace the brake cable before it breaks off inside the
hood and becomes a nightmare, or notices a recalled item is key. They'd also notice a crack or alignment issue
before me.

putting the seasonally correct air in the tires, and verifying the henway is a bonus.

Top Bottom