What new rear hub should I get

Mr.Moto

I was actually planning on buying those this weekend as my 2nd set of wheels so I could have 27.5 and 29 but had to scrap that plan to worry about the rear hub.

Ah, you have the 29er. Disregard my suggestion.

BPaze

Forgot about the BHS, they make good budget wheels for road, but not experienced with the mtb version. There is. centerlock option but only 142, see if they sell endcaps to expand to boost.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=BX211R

Loving the lime green goes perfectly with the bike and the link you actually sent is boost. If people have had good experiences this could be a pretty good route short term, honestly can't be worse than those Deore.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I think I read somewhere that they claim they are faster.
Yeah, something about less friction. I have them in my dura ace road hubs and they are fine. But for cheaper mtb hubs no one wants to crack that mess open.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've bought a ton of hubs from BHS along with rims, wheelsets, etc. They're really convenient as you can pickup the hub & spokes in one order.

I wouldn't consider them anywhere near the level of Hope/DT-Swiss, but they're also way cheaper.

I had bad luck with one hub, endcap broke, I'm 100% sure I got it broken. He offered to sell me another one cheap for me to use the endcaps which was not ideal customer service . Parts availability is a little rough as they aren't big name hubs. Not what I would use to build up my dream set of wheels but I'd choose them over Shimano for the most part.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's

BPaze

Also if I recall correctly, his Honzo has a 100mm spaced fork, so only rear is boost

Exactly, I am planning to upgrade it to the same front fork but with boost in the winter. That is why I wanted to get a 2nd wheelset now so I wasn't buying it all at once, but with this hub headache plans have changed. I could run a 27.5+ rear and 29 front, but not sure I would want to do that full time.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Exactly, I am planning to upgrade it to the same front fork but with boost in the winter. That is why I wanted to get a 2nd wheelset now so I wasn't buying it all at once, but with this hub headache plans have changed. I could run a 27.5+ rear and 29 front, but not sure I would want to do that full time.
Front hub is basically a bearing holder. Some are lighter than others, but not much to get excited about. I would just upgrade your rear wheel and not worry about the front. Not sure which fork you have, but if it’s decent I would leave it alone. Upgrading to a dependable faster engaging rear hub is where you’ll really notice a difference.

Top Bottom