What kinda road bikes is everyone riding these days???

walter

Fourth Party
For whatever reason, I feel like I want a new roadie. I currently own a Cannondale CaadX with discs, aluminum frame/carbon fork which I think I will keep as a foul weather/multi-road bike, so I'm looking at the usual suspects for something a bit nicer, most likely carbon. Budget is gonna be about $2,000 give or take a few bucks. I'd prefer Sram but it appears the options are limited. Just looking to weigh some options on this moist sunday.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
jim.vreeland-1519573109452.jpg

A Defy or TCR Advanced is a dang good bang for the buck. You can get a carbon bike with Shimano 105 11-speed for about $1,600.

rlb

Still rocking my 2011? Supersix. If I were in the market I'd probably look at the Salsas first, because who doesn't like to adventure by bike? All said and done this post was 100% helpful, without a doubt.

walter

Fourth Party
I admit I would really love to get a Tarmac/Superix/TCR, etc., but I know they aren't really practical for my style riding. I guess that's where the Roubaix/Synapse/Defy come into the picture. I cant get into that dopey rear suspension on the Roubaix. Maybe a Warbird?? crap, I don't know.

qclabrat

Rainy day clean ups have me thinking the same. Wondering if the these parts are near death... Non-disc brakes, tires less than 25mm, tubular wheels/tires, aluminum frames, handlebars without shallow drops,... must be others

grilledcheeseking

Have a first gen aluminum Warbird, enjoy riding it a lot. I bought it because the stack is pretty high relative to other road bikes I've had, and I'm all legs. Always roll 25's around central NJ, but has room to set up with 35's or 40's for middle of nowhere western PA back roads for instance. Have not ridden the new design in aluminum or carbon.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I admit I would really love to get a Tarmac/Superix/TCR, etc., but I know they aren't really practical for my style riding. I guess that's where the Roubaix/Synapse/Defy come into the picture. I cant get into that dopey rear suspension on the Roubaix. Maybe a Warbird?? crap, I don't know.

1st of all it's dopey front suspension, not rear. 2nd of all, I wouldn't knock it till you take one out for a spin. They are a really nice ride. Roubaix Sports and Elites are currently on sale for 10% off too.

walter

Fourth Party
1st of all it's dopey front suspension, not rear. 2nd of all, I wouldn't knock it till you take one out for a spin. They are a really nice ride. Roubaix Sports and Elites are currently on sale for 10% off too.

Gary, whats that "dial" looking thing at the junction of the seat stays and seat tube?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Not a dial. Just the seat post clamp itself. It's down lower to provide a little more flex out of the seat post for comfort.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Gary, whats that "dial" looking thing at the junction of the seat stays and seat tube?

The Roubaix is a cool bike, we've literally sold 100's of them. I'd even go out a limb and say it's the bike for 95% of the people out there. That said, I'd still do a Defy just because of price. Same level of components is $1,000 cheaper and is in the price range you mentioned. And it falls exactly between a Roubaix and Tarmac. And this is coming from a guy who is a Specialized fan boy.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I know everyone hates Trek on here, but I would test the Domane, never rode one but got a lot of good reviews. The Isospeed joint seems like a good idea to me.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I know everyone hates Trek on here, but I would test the Domane, never rode one but got a lot of good reviews. The Isospeed joint seems like a good idea to me.
I have a 2015 Domane 4.5 carbon with around 6000 miles on it. I am pretty damned happy with it. Very comfy for long rides and super snappy at the same time. Mine has been all stock up until a week ago when I added a set of Enve wheels. Oh, I also installed a Stages PM. I want to say you can pick the lower end carbon up for around $1800. Mine came with 105/ultegra mix.

Ian F

I bought a leftover (and apparently Euro-spec) GT Grade in the beginning of 2017. Mostly because I wanted to try SRAM shifting, knowing I don't care for Shimano road shifters (I've been using Campy on the road since the early 90's). In some ways the bike is nice - smoother and stiffer than my "antique" Colnago, but something about the bike makes my hands go numb after about 30 min. so I only have maybe 100 miles on it. I've been considering converting the bike to Campy, but haven't decided if it's worth the effort or to just build up an entirely new bike from scratch since I haven't found any manufacturer selling a Campy equipped bike with disc brakes.

Top Bottom