What is the next "big" race you are looking forward to?

I feel like a few years ago there was like 2 24 hour events left. Now I see there are a few more popping up. Ok, maybe not "coming back".

So really when you think about it, what did the volunteers do at the 24 hour race? As far as I remember, the race was self-running. You even scored yourself. I imagine there were EMTs and some course sweepers. But mostly it pretty much ran itself once it started.

I would be interested in a 12 hour on the cranks weekend. Ride like 10am to 10pm, then camp. I think 24 hours is a bit much.

I think once you're committed to a 12 hour, you might as well go all in. The setup and all would be exactly the same and the racers would still be there until the afternoon on sunday anyway. There'd only be a few folks riding through the night i think. Looking at the results from last year it feels like 1/2 the field rode only during daylight hours...

I hope so
It's only time I got off my bike and started walking because i had an out of body experience at 2 30 am.
Do miss that race
giphy (3).gif

... it feels like 1/2 the field rode only during daylight hours...

Yeah, this is completely true and I have never understood why because the night-riding is always one of my favorite parts of those kind of races. It's the coolest feeling in the world just to be out there - it just feels like you're in your own little world. Last year, I did one in Washington and there was this one section that ran through some classic high desert areas above a river. Around midnight or so, I came through there on one lap and it started raining very lightly and I noticed that even though you could see for a couple miles in every direction, there wasn't another light anywhere. It might be one of the bets memories I have racing. It was totally quiet except for the sound of light rain drops on top of my helmet and I was just cruising along. It was one of those sublime moments that I'll never forget. I also remember one I did up in Wisconsin where one part of the course took you along a dirt road next to a farm field and all night long the only company I had out there were the mice scurrying back and forth across the road. There were hundreds of them. It's funny because those are always the types of things I recall. I never recall the moments that hurt and I have to be reminded of any mechanicals or other issues. I only remember the moments when I think there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

Kill all racing
24 hours of short track!

it came up during fun monday.....

There is a ragnar (24 hour team running event) at wayway this year - wonder how that is going to do. its "new" - so might come under bucket-list events for runners.

I did the last 12 hours of great glen in 2015 with the floating bridge and it was so much fun. I agree that most folks racing the 24hr version only rode into the early evening, slept, then started again.

There is a cool Mountain Bike Radio episode about the new 24 hr series that is starting up again. 24 hour racing never completely died in the western US.

I think racing in new places keeps it fresh. I remember doing 25 races per season in NJ/NY/CT and while fun, I wanted to see some new trails.

Still some NUEs left if you want to try longer stuff @Dairyman . I am doing Wilderness101 in state college, pa on the 29th. Also doing shenandoah in harrisonburg, va on sept 3. Crotched mt innnew hampshire next month(not doing). I like these events because you make your own pace and push harder and harder towards the end.

Still some NUEs left if you want to try longer stuff @Dairyman . I am doing Wilderness101 in state college, pa on the 29th. Also doing shenandoah in harrisonburg, va on sept 3. Crotched mt innnew hampshire next month(not doing). I like these events because you make your own pace and push harder and harder towards the end.

I have heard amazing things about French creek on the rocks. Would like to try something longer on my SS. I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

Yeah, this is completely true and I have never understood why because the night-riding is always one of my favorite parts of those kind of races. It's the coolest feeling in the world just to be out there - it just feels like you're in your own little world. Last year, I did one in Washington and there was this one section that ran through some classic high desert areas above a river. Around midnight or so, I came through there on one lap and it started raining very lightly and I noticed that even though you could see for a couple miles in every direction, there wasn't another light anywhere. It might be one of the bets memories I have racing. It was totally quiet except for the sound of light rain drops on top of my helmet and I was just cruising along. It was one of those sublime moments that I'll never forget. I also remember one I did up in Wisconsin where one part of the course took you along a dirt road next to a farm field and all night long the only company I had out there were the mice scurrying back and forth across the road. There were hundreds of them. It's funny because those are always the types of things I recall. I never recall the moments that hurt and I have to be reminded of any mechanicals or other issues. I only remember the moments when I think there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

I prefer riding through the night as well. I had something to write after this but I'm on my phone...

French Creek is really fun, good way to try a longer race. Good vibe, usually a band and great trails. Not too far to drive. Camping and cabins too.
I have heard amazing things about French creek on the rocks. Would like to try something longer on my SS. I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

Hillier than Thou -

yeah, it isn't a race, unless you finish in the top 10 or so.....
otherwise just finish.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom