what is the life of DH brake pads?

njkayaker

I have 17 days and 175 laps on my brake pads. still good stopping power but starting to get very noisy. how often do you guys change out your pads? looking at them it is really tough to see how much life is left in them unless I take them out. fronts look good.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
id say there ready to be changed . Such a quick easy job better be safe than sorry

Karate Monkey

I have 17 days and 175 laps on my brake pads. still good stopping power but starting to get very noisy. how often do you guys change out your pads? looking at them it is really tough to see how much life is left in them unless I take them out. fronts look good.

Pop them out and have a look. It's not hard; remove a cotter pin, or with older designs, press the tang on the bottom in towards the center of the caliper, while pulling down. You should not have to force them, either way.

Commonly accepted "worn out" is 1mm of material remaining.

njkayaker

rears were fried. took my first lap at creek and just heard grinding. took it in to Creeks shop and they replaced them. guess I should think about replacing them after 150 laps next time.

IMG_1888.JPG

jumpa

Depends on how much rubber I got left on the bottom of my shoes for sticking on the tire and footjam whips.

Ian F

Might depend on the brakes some and definitely depends on the rider. So far I have quite a few runs on the Saints that came with my M16 and the rears still looks pretty good - probably about 100 runs on them this season. And I rear-drag a lot more than I should.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Brake pads are a must to have on hand whenever big mountain riding. Super quick fix at the car and your back out there. As someone mentioned 1 mm material means time for a change.
Also which were you running metallic I would hope as you will burn through the organics.

Ian F

Yes, spare pads, rotors and a bleed-kit are items I keep in my "spares box" along with at least one spare tire. I usually bring a spare set of wheels as well - preferably with tires and rotors installed. So many parts on a DH bike have to be considered "wear/expendable items". IMHO, there is no excuse to be wandering around the pits begging for some common part.

Top Bottom