What have you done to your bike today?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run 32-16 on the 29r. Could almost ride cr with it. Great at 6mr and Nassau. Good workout cause ain't nobody wanna walk
Wait really even at my top SS heyday this was a beast of gearing. I mean ok allaire but I had to be on my top of the game for 16 cog for hills in mooch.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wait really even at my top SS heyday this was a beast of gearing. I mean ok allaire but I had to be on my top of the game for 16 cog for hills in mooch.

only at flat parks 6mr, and nassau - i'll check again. i can't climb anything "big" at CR.

RSAmerica

65BD6072-1A86-4C07-84E6-A08784731B43.jpeg

After 2 years on 780 mm bars, I cut them down to 760 mm. My shoulders feel freer and the bike feels quicker in the fast tight stuff.
2E4D9201-51E9-4D67-9E34-114F64136C7A.jpeg

To test I popped the end caps off some grips slide them in and rode around till it felt just right.

Last edited:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did a “shimano #1 service”. Lever bleed, scuff pads (I use a cheap whetstone) and alcohol clean the rotors. I like how serviceable the shimano’s are but maybe wish they didn’t need so much service. Anyway.

I also discovered I’d been installing shimano cranks without using the plastic star wheel to preload it. Worked, but easier the way they’re designed. Derp.

serviceguy

I straightened my right brake lever (BL-M785), it was bent after a rather spectacular OTB earlier today. Turns out the pin that hold the lever was bent too, so I straightened that one as much as I could and reinstall it back. It works, but I don't trust the lever anymore, so I ordered both a new pin and a new lever. Their price is outrageous by the way. And it is a SOB to install back on.

Karate Monkey

The secret is to install all the parts on the lever, and put a small drift in that will hold it together while you insert it (but fit into the lever body). Then you push the drift out with the pin on installation.

serviceguy

The secret is to install all the parts on the lever, and put a small drift in that will hold it together while you insert it (but fit into the lever body). Then you push the drift out with the pin on installation.
I tried that but I was lacking the right material. I ended up installing the lever without the spring and push the pin just enough so that I could pivot the lever and compress the master cylinder, then slid the spring in place through the front of the brake assembly making sure the spring loop cleared the pin and finished pushing the pin through. Not as easy as it sounds due to the mangled pin, hopefully when the new lever and pin get here it will be easier.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I had this weird brake thing happening at HOH on the EVO. @jdog took a shot at fixing it, as well as on-site support.
i also futzed with it. seems like the pad was locking against the rim on one side, but not always. it was obvious it wasn't centered, and
would spin freely until i got on the bike. I inspected the frame for cracks. If i pulled the brake lever, it would stick, but
manually spreading the brake released it. when i wasn't on the bike, it seemed to work fine.
i rode all of HOH without using the back brake - which is a wonderful thing
on loose pack.

anyway, i figured out what it was. the jacket was getting hung up on the one of the stem/bar bolts,
and had kinked the jacket, and probably the cable. It had also damaged the jacket end where it entered the frame.
so when i got on the bike, and slightly turned the bars, it would pull the brake, and lock it up.

mystery solved. now to fix it!

IMG_3207.JPG

serviceguy

I
I had this weird brake thing happening at HOH on the EVO. @jdog took a shot at fixing it, as well as on-site support.
i also futzed with it. seems like the pad was locking against the rim on one side, but not always. it was obvious it wasn't centered, and
would spin freely until i got on the bike. I inspected the frame for cracks. If i pulled the brake lever, it would stick, but
manually spreading the brake released it. when i wasn't on the bike, it seemed to work fine.
i rode all of HOH without using the back brake - which is a wonderful thing
on loose pack.

anyway, i figured out what it was. the jacket was getting hung up on the one of the stem/bar bolts,
and had kinked the jacket, and probably the cable. It had also damaged the jacket end where it entered the frame.
so when i got on the bike, and slightly turned the bars, it would pull the brake, and lock it up.

mystery solved. now to fix it!

View attachment 91415

I'll leave the final answer to @MadisonDan , but until he chimes in I would suggest to route the cable under the bottom bracket for a smoother actuation...

Top Bottom