What have you done to your bike today?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
you doing the rando series??? bike wants to get outside
Oh no, not I. Twin Six calls that bike “The Standard Rando” it’s a steel multi-road surface specific geo bike. It’s a hell of a lot more comfortable than my CX bike for this type of activity. No, my time is pretty well spoken for with the OTHER bike this summer.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
New tires and tubes for the road bike and charging up the eTap batteries.
C9066301-E8C1-4DC1-93C2-D6D93F591449.jpeg

#AreYouReadyForTheSummer

alex_k

DIY fix for Guides RSC

usually I use SRAM service kit in case of sticky lever but this time that happens with almost new brackes so I decided go DIY:

Measured new puncher from a kit and then gently removed .01 inch from old one.

One lever done three to go.

Attachments

• 0E4DB09D-1C03-4B69-81FA-816E85CFAFB1.jpeg
    0E4DB09D-1C03-4B69-81FA-816E85CFAFB1.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 149
  • 218978DE-824F-482E-A1A7-022A706B5287.jpeg
    218978DE-824F-482E-A1A7-022A706B5287.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Karate Monkey

DIY fix for Guides RSC

usually I use SRAM service kit in case of sticky lever but this time that happens with almost new brackes so I decided go DIY:

If those aren't dimpled above the hose port, they're considered warranty items. Just FYI.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
DIY fix for Guides RSC

my levels locked up last friday. luckily under warranty.
not sure if it is the same thing ..

they lose modulation, and basically go from off to almost full on ??

alex_k

not to that extent this time, I had on/off once.
I would describe that as slow return, slow disengagement and reduced level travel.

Last edited:

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Level masters pretty much same as guides , surprised you had the problem in colder temps I've only had issues in direct sunlight when temps are 75+

Patrick

Staff member
Level masters pretty much same as guides , surprised you had the problem in colder temps I've only had issues in direct sunlight when temps are 75+

it was last friday when the temps went up. One of the other mtb'rs in the parking lot had me pour cold water on them.
I then repeatedly dipped them in the water at CR every 20 minutes or so.. Interesting that it did not happen last year.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I put this together for a demo for take your child to work day..(gear ratio demo)...my contribution....PILES of old bike parts that I never throw away...I have this idiotic belief that someday I will be able to do something artistic with them.
20180419_145656.jpg

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To end the shifter mini saga, I got a XT. In the box is the indicator delete cover, a full run housing, and a bunch of extra cable ends. Winning! It's a really nice upgrade that I highly recommend. Funny how much effort increases with the clutch on, not as noticeable with SRAM.

The setup indexes so well it's a little hard to tune, you have to go way past "good" to make it rattle. Thanks for the parts offers I did get.

qclabrat

I put this together for a demo for take your child to work day..(gear ratio demo)...my contribution....PILES of old bike parts that I never throw away...I have this idiotic belief that someday I will be able to do something artistic with them.
View attachment 67497
That's awesome, did you include a watt meter so the kids can see the difference in effort?

Karate Monkey

To end the shifter mini saga, I got a XT. In the box is the indicator delete cover, a full run housing, and a bunch of extra cable ends. Winning! It's a really nice upgrade that I highly recommend. Funny how much effort increases with the clutch on, not as noticeable with SRAM.

The setup indexes so well it's a little hard to tune, you have to go way past "good" to make it rattle. Thanks for the parts offers I did get.

If you search for the dealer manuals (or youtube it, I'm sure), you can adjust the clutch fairly easily (but need a tiny open-ended wrench...a 3.5/4mm, I think). It's stiffer than SRAM, when it's new. If you're ever in the area, you can even beg a tiny bit of Nexus grease from me for the clutch, in a tiny ziplock baggy.

it was last friday when the temps went up. One of the other mtb'rs in the parking lot had me pour cold water on them.
I then repeatedly dipped them in the water at CR every 20 minutes or so.. Interesting that it did not happen last year.

like @alex_k was showing in his pics, part of the master cylinder piston is simply too big, dimensionally. The new levers don't have that problem--which SRAM pays shops to fix, as in, costs you nothing. Most bigger shops keep a warranty kit in stock, so your downtime is minimal. If your Level/Guide levers don't have a dimple (small countersink) above the hose port (pull back the rubber cover, it should be under the vertical part), they will even be replaced if they're not experiencing symptoms. I know there are shops out there that grumble about warranty work, but this is one of those cases (and Shimano's long-standing crank recall) where they should be knocking each other over to fix your problem.

Patrick

Staff member
If you search for the dealer manuals (or youtube it, I'm sure), you can adjust the clutch fairly easily (but need a tiny open-ended wrench...a 3.5/4mm, I think). It's stiffer than SRAM, when it's new. If you're ever in the area, you can even beg a tiny bit of Nexus grease from me for the clutch, in a tiny ziplock baggy.

like @alex_k was showing in his pics, part of the master cylinder piston is simply too big, dimensionally. The new levers don't have that problem--which SRAM pays shops to fix, as in, costs you nothing. Most bigger shops keep a warranty kit in stock, so your downtime is minimal. If your Level/Guide levers don't have a dimple (small countersink) above the hose port (pull back the rubber cover, it should be under the vertical part), they will even be replaced if they're not experiencing symptoms. I know there are shops out there that grumble about warranty work, but this is one of those cases (and Shimano's long-standing crank recall) where they should be knocking each other over to fix your problem.

@jdog/Halters has already taken care of it for me!!

mucho thanks on the insider info. I'll still bring them some apples or pears.

Patrick

Staff member
lets not get crazy, I had like a couple of hours the other night to get something together....still working on the "demo" portion of this

Many Likes!

need some sort of mark on the cassette to count rotations ?
Show a different size chainring, so you can ask "what if" ?

would be interesting to raise a weight by a cable around the hub. but i think it would have to be very heavy to work.
And a spring would just be a bad idea.
maybe pull a stump out of the ground? :D

or instead of mech advantage, do something with speed? pull something along the floor? like a kid on a furniture dolly?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Many Likes!

would be interesting to raise a weight by a cable around the hub. but i think it would have to be very heavy to work.

or instead of mech advantage, do something with speed? pull something along the floor? like a kid on a furniture dolly?

Ooooo, he could pull kids across the room on a dolly!!!! Now THATS an interactive demo! :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Many Likes!

So we have a theme for the kids like an escape room... We have problems that need to be solved, the solution gets to a combination to thw next problem etc... This is what we came up with for the gear train problem
20180420_133313.jpg

Top Bottom