What have you done to your bike today?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I shortened a hose and bled my Sram Guides today. It's my first set of Sram brakes. Bleeding them is a bit more involved than bleeding Shimano brakes but I actually prefer it. I feel like Sram's process is better than Shimano's and I was more confident I had done a good job when I was finished. My feeling was validated as the performance after the bleed was rock solid.

qclabrat

Suburban assault vehicle, did a shake down ride and really like the 47 front wheel with the aerobars. Think the stem is too relaxed but the bike needs to be comfy. Having problems getting to the large chainring, cable looks tight not sure why.
IMG_20180408_094452.jpg

Karate Monkey

Sinewaves are supposed to be good, but I have no first-hand experience with them—just saw them at the Philly expo. It's built for off-road (American-style) lighting. I think the light head has USB option?

Bought a B&M IQ-X a few months back...super bright, good beam pattern, but wouldn't be great for identifying face slappers. Doesn't matter to me--I've got a head light for that.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Had my friend Craig over at Hilltop dress my Surly up a bit....

CK headset and bottom bracket.

Carbon fiber Zipp bars.

Went with a shorter stem (also Zipp).

New shifters so now the cables are tucked under the bar tape... it gives the bike a MUCH cleaner look.

Changed out the crappy black cable housings for some fancy Jagwire jawns in white.

Oh also packed all my winter shit away.

20180411_125145.jpg
20180411_124525.jpg

Last edited:

Robin

I haven't touched my DH bike since my #bumthumb incident last July. My front tire was not holding air. I inspected for punctures/tears. Nothing. I thought maybe the bead needed to be reset. Nope. Then I thought maybe the tape had a flaw/needed retaping. Unfortunately due to my weak #bumthumb (still) and tough tire, I couldn't get the tire off so brought it to Halter's.

I was correct in my diagnosis! Feeling pretty good about troubleshooting/solving it. Big rig is ready to go for the upcoming season!

IMG_20180412_043306.jpg

olegbabich

Riding to work every day during winter and neglect take their toll on drive train on commuter bike. Large chain ring teeth are all shark fin and 1 tooth is missing.

New chain, cassette, big chain ring, derailleur pulleys, brake rotor, brake pads and a little bit of cleaning.

Ready to ride and be neglected for another 3 years or so.

IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG

pkovo

On my new (to me) Instigator
-changed rear dropouts feom fixed to sliding
-added goat link and sunrace 42t cassette
-changed out pedals
-changed out seat
-lubed sticky fork seals and foam rings
-moved headset spacers to drop bars 15mm.
-swapped 720mm 1" riser bars for 780mm 1/2" riser bar.
-wrapped chainstay in weird red rubber tape.
-attempted to setup tires tubeless...failed due to sidewall punctures...ordered new tires.

On the ICT
-swapped 26" fat wheels for narrower 27.5" wheels
-sanded my rear brake pads

On the Klein "Frankenbike"
-added some sweet '90's era bar ends
-pulled the drive side crank arm with stripped pedal threads and angrily tossed bike in the corner of the garage.

On the old school Cannondale road bike
-built up a custom wider tange cassette from old parts
-replaced the 42t ring with an ebay 39t
....desparately trying to get lower gearing on this craigslist special on a nothing budget.

On kids bikes:
-new brake cabes and rear shift cables on two mini trek mtn bikes
-new rear brake and both levers on one.
-replaced ugly basket with cool handlebar mounted water bottle cage...jury is out on acceptance of this change....I have all girls and they seem to like baskets on mtn bikes DOH!

Not all today, but over the past 2 weeks. After 2.5 months of no free time due to working like a dog, it feels great to be able to spend time in the garage getting greasy!!

qclabrat

not sure if anyone picked on the brakes on the red Bruce Gordon. I switched the original DC986 to RevoX cantis and this weekend's ride was a lesson to not use CX brakes on road bikes. A few times I had to but my foot down ala Fred Flintstone to stop. Not at all confidence inspiring for someone just getting back on the road. So I just ordered TRP CX8.4 mini-Vs to replace the RevoXs. However I've read a few write ups of using the CX8.4s on the front and keeping the RevoXs in the rear. They claim it's a good combo of modulation and firm braking. Also v-brakes have very thin pads which is why you don't see many touring bikes with v-brakes, but for the limited riding I do, I don't think it matters. Planning to go with the mini-Vs in front and back.

Additionally anyone able to suggest fast fat road tires? The Conti Top Contacts are surprisingly good for ones with an aggressive tread. When I say fat, I mean 35 or wider. My Top Contacts are 47 front and 42 rear.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
not sure if anyone picked on the brakes on the red Bruce Gordon. I switched the original DC986 to RevoX cantis and this weekend's ride was a lesson to not use CX brakes on road bikes. A few times I had to but my foot down ala Fred Flintstone to stop. Not at all confidence inspiring for someone just getting back on the road. So I just ordered TRP CX8.4 mini-Vs to replace the RevoXs. However I've read a few write ups of using the CX8.4s on the front and keeping the RevoXs in the rear. They claim it's a good combo of modulation and firm braking. Also v-brakes have very thin pads which is why you don't see many touring bikes with v-brakes, but for the limited riding I do, I don't think it matters. Planning to go with the mini-Vs in front and back.

Additionally anyone able to suggest fast fat road tires? The Conti Top Contacts are surprisingly good for ones with an aggressive tread. When I say fat, I mean 35 or wider. My Top Contacts are 47 front and 42 rear.
650b or 700c?

Top Bottom