What have you done to your bike today?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@hotsauce The best thing to do after first setting up tubeless tires is to ride it. If it loses pressure overnight, ride it again. If it happens a third time, it's probably time to see what's going on. Glad you got it working.

I have some tubeless Happy Medium DTC/SCT 35's if you're interested. Used once at Stewart I think. Knock a couple bucks off retail.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Took delivery of new Valor Pro's yesterday for CX bike.

Mounted rotors, cassette, and PDX (tubeless version). Haven't put in the Stan's sealant yet, but that's the easy part. All in, 35 minutes for everything so far. I gotta say, theses Stan's rims are so easy to set up. I got both tires seated with a standard pump within 30 seconds. Pop!Pop! done. next.... Pop!Pop! done.

now back to WFH'ing. Sealant can wait.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Frame build , evil insurgent waiting for seatpost and brake pads and also swap the shock
20170717_223751.jpg

JRP581

I changed my chain on my road bike, camp record, I love the the look of a new chain. First time I ever saw it stretched to 1/2". Hope I caught it in time.

hotsauce

@hotsauce The best thing to do after first setting up tubeless tires is to ride it. If it loses pressure overnight, ride it again. If it happens a third time, it's probably time to see what's going on. Glad you got it working.
First dirt ride last night was an an utter tubeless failure. Rear didn't hold pressure worth a damn and went from 40 psi to 15 psi in the course of a few hard turns. Then I burped the front and went OTB not 5 minutes after. Oww.

I'll investigate when I have time but not for a week or so. Whats the best way to prep a rim since I obviously didn't do a good job last time.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First dirt ride last night was an an utter tubeless failure. Rear didn't hold pressure worth a damn and went from 40 psi to 15 psi in the course of a few hard turns. Then I burped the front and went OTB not 5 minutes after. Oww.

I'll investigate when I have time but not for a week or so. Whats the best way to prep a rim since I obviously didn't do a good job last time.
Burping could be not enough build up for the bead to sit on. What did you use as far as tape? I think I remember you saying that the tape job wasn't the best, so I'd start there. Two wraps of Stan's should be plenty, but if the tire still feels loose on the rim you may need more. Just make sure that the tape you get is wide enough to cover from bead seat to bead seat without going up onto the side walls. Now that you already have had sealant in there, just wipe the inside down well with some isopropyl before retaping. I don't know how convenient it would be, but I can come watch/help figure it out if you want.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used this Orange Seal tape on these Oval rims. Just one wrap which now I'm realizing definitely isn't enough and it's likely too narrow. Should I buy 21 or 25mm Stan's tape?

edit: Thanks for your guidance @1sh0t1b33r!!
What's the inner width of the rim? doubt its more than 25mm. use the 21mm tape. start on one side, go all the way around while keeping it tight, then on the second pass guide it to the other side. you should have three layers over the valve stem hole. keep the tape very tight when applying. stan's sealant. spin, shake side to side, spin more, shake side to side, repeat until your arms feel like they'll fall off.

hotsauce

Can you confirm that one last time @MadisonDan, it didn't come through crystal clear.

Stan's is on order from almighty Amazon. Work travel/leisure travel/real life schedule means it may be a minute until I sort this out.

Top Bottom