What have you done to your bike today?

I got on my bike at the PATH station last night after work to find out I had a completely flat tire in the rear. Just what I wanted on a 95 degree commute!

Last night I went about changing the tube and started sweating like I was on a field trip to hell. My commuter bike is a 4-5 year old Motobecane/Bikes Direct single speed cyclocross bike so it has track dropouts in the rear. I got the tube changed quickly but mounting/centering the wheel and getting it to work well with cheap canti brakes was SUCH a pain in the ass! I've been using a set of Origin8 chain tension adjusters to combat the track nuts slipping under load but can never get it right.

An old pic of my commuter, on the right, for some visual appeak. It's significantly dirtier/more rusty now.
View attachment 53270

Changing the tube took me 5 minutes, setting the wheel and adjusting the brakes took another 30. Are there any tricks to centering the wheel, tightening everything down, and making the breaks not rub that I'm missing?

I have the same commuter! Lol

So I set up my cross bike tubeless last night (hurray!). It was much easier to seat the tire than road tubeless where I utterly failed and now give up.

After I got all the goo in the tire and pumped it back up and confirmed it's holding sealant, I realized I installed it backwards! How much of a hassle is it to take it off and turn it around the right way? Can I salvage the sealant that's in the tire or do I have to start over?

Actually, some tires are designed to be run both ways, with the "reverse" direction offering more/less traction due to the knob orientation.
Some people do this anyways, especially if there's no mud or adverse conditions.

Well I got my Moonlander shifting adjusted perfectly now.
So I rode my Jamis bike just for fun yesterday and it's shifting like crap now! Jumping all over the place.
I stopped on the trail to check it out it was getting so bad.

UH-OH! new chain time
chain.jpg

If the chain isn't stretched, all it really needs is a quick link.

I wouldn't know how to tell a "stretched" chain. This is a bike I garbage picked last month and just cleaned up a bit.
0$ invested so far, so I bought a $12 chain and put it on and now it rides again! I'm happy.
It's kind of a goofy bike anyway

Jamis16.jpg

Actually, some tires are designed to be run both ways, with the "reverse" direction offering more/less traction due to the knob orientation
These are Clement PDX's and the front is backwards. The internet doesn't advise if this is good bad or other.

Also how quickly should tubeless tires lose pressure? The rear was at 55 lbs before my ride at 6:30 AM and 20 lbs at 7:00 PM, I imagine I have work to do...

These are Clement PDX's and the front is backwards. The internet doesn't advise if this is good bad or other.

Also how quickly should tubeless tires lose pressure? The rear was at 55 lbs before my ride at 6:30 AM and 20 lbs at 7:00 PM, I imagine I have work to do...
Sounds like you have work to do for air loss.
Me too, my Jamis WITH tubes was 50 lbs last week and dropped to 12 lbs on my ride.

They'll loose air, but not that much that fast. You may just need to work the sealant around a bit more... Also, 50psi? WTF bro? You shouldn't need to go over 35 or so. I race mine at 28/29, and I'm pretty sure I weigh at least 20 pounds more than you.

Also, 50psi? WTF bro?
I did a ride on the road then was keeping the pressure high to see how much air leaked throughout the day. Rode in the grass this morning with @The Squirrel at 35 psi and all was peachy.

After doing a little googling, I don't think i was diligent enough with placing the tape on the rim. Planning to rip it off and re-do with gorilla tape soon.

This was a great one....My trigger uses a DT swiss 12x142 rear axle with the handle that you can spin the axle off with, and also rotate...Due to the fact that my maxxis minions are indestructible I had not taken the rear wheel off the bike in about a year or so. So when I finally decided to replace the carcass of a tire...the handle of the axle just spun off, leaving the axle in the frame still. So originally I decided to drill/tap the drive side...as i was drilling, it came free. I changed the tire to a hans dempf...But in my rush to get ready for our KT trip, I didnt have another axle option....So I red locktite'd the handle back on the axle and hoped for the best......Of course my new hans dempf lasted 3 rides before it died from two holes in the tread and a cut sidewall...so the wheel had to come off again. Couple of minutes with a step bit to drill out the axle as much as possible, then tighten it until it snapped/broke....than an m10 tap to remove what was left.

20170710_175218.jpg

This is not supposed to happen
20170710_175154.jpg
20170710_175114.jpg
20170710_175218.jpg
20170710_175114.jpg
20170710_175154.jpg

I did a ride on the road then was keeping the pressure high to see how much air leaked throughout the day. Rode in the grass this morning with @The Squirrel at 35 psi and all was peachy.

After doing a little googling, I don't think i was diligent enough with placing the tape on the rim. Planning to rip it off and re-do with gorilla tape soon.

What wheelset you has? Stan's tape yo.

@MadisonDan, I'm using Orange Seal tape and sealant on Oval (Fuji) 723 rims. I didn't realize the tape has to be precise when I was taping and figured "good enough" was all I needed.

I am using Stan's valves tho...

i ordered a new shimano icetech brake caliper off amazon. 180mm. They sent me a 203mm by accident. I put it on anyway just for the hell of it. Good lord thats a lot of power.

amazon is sending me a new 180mm for free. not sure if im going to keep the 203 on there or not. i think i like the added power.

Sounds like you have work to do for air loss.
Me too, my Jamis WITH tubes was 50 lbs last week and dropped to 12 lbs on my ride.
Here is the culprit! A small thin wire penetrated the tire & tube.
After I patched the tube I remembered to check inside the tire, right where I put the patch.
flat tire.jpg

Which tires you put on?
May want to switch to a file tread.
Heard it's gonna be a dry autumn season in the north east.

Back
Top Bottom