What have you done to your bike today?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok I just failed at road tubeless. Both front and rear, I couldn't get the beads to seat. The tire stays in the center channel and just doesn't budge. I even went out and bought a Bontrager Flash Charger that has a reservoir to build up pressure and it didn't help in the least. Google is failing me on a solution too.

I'm running Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on Pacenti SL23/Forza rims.

Help!!?
Soapy water for sure. If you still can't and you really want to do it at home, you can try some Schwalbe mounting fluid... astroglide for tires. Or just bring it to a shop and have them shoot them on with a compressor. Much more volume of high pressure air than the flash charger. Dumb question... are the rims taped and ready to go and didyou take the stem out of the valve before charging?

hotsauce

astroglide for tires
Lol

Yes the rims are taped for tubeless and valve cores are removed. I tried soapy water and still Nada. For now I have them mounted up with tubes hopefully to stretch the tires out and I'll try again tomorrow.

I thought I was missing something simple but I guess not! Thanks for the quick help (and lol Magic)!

Karate Monkey

Lol

Yes the rims are taped for tubeless and valve cores are removed. I tried soapy water and still Nada. For now I have them mounted up with tubes hopefully to stretch the tires out and I'll try again tomorrow.

I thought I was missing something simple but I guess not! Thanks for the quick help (and lol Magic)!

When you remove the tube, break only one bead, and sneak the tube out through it. Your chances of successfully mounting the tire will increase exponentially.

hotsauce

When you remove the tube, break only one bead, and sneak the tube out through it. Your chances of successfully mounting the tire will increase exponentially.
I tried that but the tires are so tight that I have to break both beads to get the tire off. Hopefully the tires stretch enough overnight that this works tomorrow. Thx!!

qclabrat

I tried that but the tires are so tight that I have to break both beads to get the tire off. Hopefully the tires stretch enough overnight that this works tomorrow. Thx!!
are they brand new? If so may need to stretch the beads with a tube at max pressure

hotsauce

I'll try again tomorrow afternoon.
I spoke too soon, my tubeless adventure is over before it started.

I mounted the tires with tubes last night and had 3(!!!) flats on the rear tire on this morning's ride. I must have ran over a hunk of glass or metal or something but less than 15 miles in, I had a 3/4 inch gash in the tire. I booted it with a $20 bill which got me through a few miles but didn't get me home. Now the almost brand new tire goes right in the trash. I'm going back to tubes for a while.

IMG_3149.JPG

Last edited:

qclabrat

Yeah, that's the worst thing you want it to rub on. I can't find any pics from when I had a dropper on mine, which was literally just for the Moab trip, but I just had the hose hang to the right of the frame through the clamp pictured below, and clipped it to the guides on the right. Had the lever on the left hand.
153710.jpg
yep, got one of those should the cable go above the top tube, under the shock or somewhere else?

WP_20170528_19_49_11_Pro.jpg

Karate Monkey

Keep it clear of as many moving parts as possible, imo. What that means for your particular frame may take some exploration...

I start by dropping the post all the way, setting up the run to the handlebar (so it looks good/doesn't interfere with anything), then fastening it down to the top tube. Once there, you'll know how much you'll have floating around the upper link/shock. Because it's hydraulic instead of cable, you can cinch it down (potentially) very close to the seat tube, literally running it along the top tube. It won't care if there's a tight radius bend when it is dropped, though it's best practice to have nice swooping runs that don't bind anywhere (or against anything).

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, got one of those should the cable go above the top tube, under the shock or somewhere else?

View attachment 52691
I had my hose just hang to the right side of the bike and had my Promax clamp also set on the right. No weaving through the frame or pivots. I'll be home in a few days and can mock it up with a piece of housing if you need.

Kaleidopete

I picked up a beater yesterday. Two flat tires, shifter not working, didn't know what else.
So I took the wheels and tires off and checked the tubes, wow, no holes, they're good.
Cleaned up the wheels a little, put new rim strips and remounted the VERY good tires.
Repaired the shifter cable and lubed up the chain. Cleaned it up a little.
Took it for a ride around the block, it works good! Shifts fine, brakes fine. BUT, the rear wheel is bent,
and one spoke is missing. Other than that it is pretty comfortable and easy to ride.
Now...what kind of bike is this! It says Explorer Mountain Bike by Jamis. It seems awful goofy for a Mountain Bike.
It's 24 speed, Rockshock front end, Acera Shimano V brake. What's with those handlebars?
Jamis02.jpg

Karate Monkey

Bike related:

I bought a rim straightener from eBay, a copy of the Morningstar tool;

Z97xU3Ry63EfNwK3VyhPZ6F21SvsT--BuYr9_qkQ4QEVcxavlj0HZWEymEl8JIcO5yEy3wN4J2rN0s2u_m6WldVkYaCxMtHiUOHkcCX6asRvNOH6QOwboqrvJBVRF1Qo1Q7zZFGVyUE7YQ4eZT75L1084c8orsr8QBJpCq5CJnv2j_diLKxPKNRzSaTL6hWkwljBiywkuKdh9baVnekDjout5ciOiXtVmykx_i9Nch0fQO-Zk__zHTYiatizUY7-e7YJGE5ef3aRBcrbYzvqg8vG-ibsk62qTKVREe_bPHqQzBeXxzgcZq97RJSSU0D27ldBXYkJ91mq48Dv9qEMI52yN_QOXsN03xaCWFJHxdckRExPqwHr0cZk40a0zGUE979QGT64arkw_NSwf2vHg8bcTwWDyhg-u3qcnqk2jf2CgwNZQoAv5k8UXOMwf_-L4OMJqc37p-dRKgEx307cowh_9JC2gI7y2RKGAV-v18c3LRFGkzOUafSjndpUsOSXSfUF-ZbdgTvr2XXxPPk6-F0_yigBRdzYYJ9Ov4uobFx3aBjCzehIUWIsqF2j_P24VLlBc_vOPOBdFlX-Qe1O8tCG-i2wTo6DqrH0Zd-jd9ErIV6DKxYyj7CKEdnuAhWU_s8deV29ez-rN2Jd11IfHRk1dj2osVDP70F_vW9xOA=w868-h651-no

One use in, and I can emphatically not recommend it. It is made from aluminum, which by itself may not have been a problem, but the fulcrum for the rim bead was bending just from the pressure needed to (lightly) bend it back in place. Maybe it's a soft alloy, or maybe it isn't hardened? No idea, but no bueno, either way. Also, the lip is too large to comfortably fit on a Stans rim, so all that pressure was being concentrated on the weakest part of the tool.

Anyway, I decided to make a replacement, and improve upon the design, while I was at it:

TAJmqh7zQV5G2pHdSbjRgcXlBWUGHF3TxABIsm_qZqdH9BvV3avlL9YV5uAXcheA0yshvsMe46g52y_YvIvdN1XUaxPlG9gcq-6DL4ZN5tskpJz76108xbq27gITKjxKXb7YlH08ZnVCFaPl_oWJrNw7FV8hfdNXTdCzIIREAiMpE02X_TVqefowItznXur6Iyx8ZAfv3D5prFY7fsT1z9DbqvjIrSayUUXkeUD_4fkDsIxhd1A0NvIi-olmh3i77SFvhFKI3EdPiQlVjXPoXPfoKqsEr14x_NM_yQBxcC9cq9URRNoATIe-E3HM9ACOGD_zyenXqvjgbwi3qCra3y63qnxPs5Vn8QtMGAhdgxULRzQdKDZGlyQxHXxHhE1vKH9Yfahjhuiab885j9qX9bgYVJ4qWa-NzLFmOfIUuU11Xt69q2oraXR8cBX5J4jx-gT0JMWV2Td2mpw5Pbr19OB7e-VxFdb9dSwYEaFgdSVMO1i1b8plMCWSFw5jgkz-1mQm3sPiloXUegLf7fYJKUGjr8MkijgGO2F4UzzUbIsM4UzQRFjuQenMM6rhwP4kUsuwcV92DcBb8InXZB9XJ7o1uSwtO7Ea2z9NA1GoVQEB7izeHhSseSNmLyDL_ALvwu7mJlmir-1JiibaOmnVUfiaHBmtYNQJhxZMJE1XSQ=w868-h651-no

I found a slightly damaged smooth-jaw channellock, and proceeded to shape it as necessary with a handfile/other small tools. The notch was caused by a momentary lapse of concentration with the dremel, but it doesn't seem to impact the actual use of the tool. The great part is that the tool can also be used to bend the rim in, if necessary, rather than just pull the beads out.

Top Bottom