What do I do after a tubeless tire has been punctured?

rwix15

Once I got home after my last ride, I noticed small amounts of sealant coming out of a spot on the tire. From what I could tell there where no objects sticking out from that area, and it seems like maybe a pin hole. And, as of today (a few days later) my tire is still holding good pressure and has some sealant still visible. So, if the air holds after awhile do I consider it fixed?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pinholes you can usually leave. If you get a tear or a puncture, or if it gets bigger, definitely patch it. I use small car tire patches and vulcanizing cement. Just had to patch my plus tire a few weeks ago after Blue Mt. Same process as patching a car tire really. Sand down the inside a bit, apply cement and let dry, then stick on the patch and take a stitcher/roller to it.

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A few pinholes are ok. I hope.
IMG_9213.JPG

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Has anyone had any success patching up a tiny sidewall tear and successfully running it tubeless?
Got a sidewall tear not too long ago on a relatively new tire. I have it patched and running tubes in it currently. :(
I thought about trying to set it up tubeless but didn't want to waste the stans if its not possible.
I did see a YT where a guy basically stretched up/patched the tear and said he was running it tubeless with no issues.

Damn you NNP with thin sidewalls!

gtluke

The Moped
Has anyone had any success patching up a tiny sidewall tear and successfully running it tubeless?
Got a sidewall tear not too long ago on a relatively new tire. I have it patched and running tubes in it currently. :(
I thought about trying to set it up tubeless but didn't want to waste the stans if its not possible.
I did see a YT where a guy basically stretched up/patched the tear and said he was running it tubeless with no issues.

Yeah I was the snake bite master till I got procore. I use tube patches with rubber cement.

Karate Monkey

You can use a radial tire patch, biased 90° to the tire's casing...though it will stiffen the sidewall considerably, and depending how far down it is, you may feel a 'thump' every revolution.

Stitching/a regular rubber patch would be ideal from a performance aspect, but don't expect it to last until the tire is dead--a tire run at low pressure has a very dynamic life (see: the checking of the casing fabric on the sidewalls).

Of course, the size of the damage matters...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

You can fix it like I mentioned earlier. Get some blue vulcanizing cement and some small car or bike patches. When the blue hue is gone, you're ready to stick and roll the patch in. This was a tear in a tubeless tire that was pissing Stans because it was way too big. No leaks in 4-5 rides now. Buying new tires is always fun too.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Life is too short to run tubes, the only time a tube should be used is to get you back to car/home after a hole won't seal.
Wasting Stans:D

w_b

Interesting; my take is life is too short to be fussing with tubeless: sealant, valve stems, tape, compressor, finagle, hope, pray. Some of the stories I read on here pertaining to it are almost comical.

Ok, maybe after all that, and if it all goes well, it's easier; but then you still need a tube, levers, inflator. To each his own; I'll stick with my 10 tubes for $20 every few years or so. No worries.

liong71er

Interesting; my take is life is too short to be fussing with tubeless: sealant, valve stems, tape, compressor, finagle, hope, pray. Some of the stories I read on here pertaining to it are almost comical.

Ok, maybe after all that, and if it all goes well, it's easier; but then you still need a tube, levers, inflator. To each his own; I'll stick with my 10 tubes for $20 every few years or so. No worries.
I'm with you
Maybe becoz i'm not too impressed with tubeless setup,so I never go tubeless
it's like, not wearing a condoms for your tires!:)

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Give the tire to Iggy. He will ride it as is and flat out again like he always does

Top Bottom