What Coffee (or Tea) Are You Drinking Right Now?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got a bag of fresh beans yesterday in NYC cause the old bag was running low. MadCap is from Grand Rapids, MI and their stuff is solid. Paid $25 for this bag, but I liked the old one better.

tumblr_o1kvesB2db1qc3f0io1_640.jpg

I am of the opinion that the coffee bean itself makes the most difference in a cup of coffee over any kind of brewing technique, type of cup, etc... So most time should be spent in choosing a bean / roaster (if you don't roast your own).

Beans are important, but my espresso machine can make Eight O Clock coffee taste good.

Got a bag of fresh beans yesterday in NYC cause the old bag was running low. MadCap is from Grand Rapids, MI and their stuff is solid. Paid $25 for this bag, but I liked the old one better.

tumblr_o1kvesB2db1qc3f0io1_640.jpg

Man...25 bucks for 12 oz ?

Id love to try that but if I liked it id be screwed. I drink way too much.

Do you only have that once a day and drink cheaper stuff the rest of the time?

How much do you drink at once?

1lb of the house stuff from my local shop lasts me and wife 5 days...
(sometimes less like when I'm getting up to hit the trainer and pound out a quick aeropress cup)

Man...25 bucks for 12 oz ?

Id love to try that but if I liked it id be screwed. I drink way too much.

Do you only have that once a day and drink cheaper stuff the rest of the time?

How much do you drink at once?

1lb of the house stuff from my local shop lasts me and wife 5 days...
(sometimes less like when I'm getting up to hit the trainer and pound out a quick aeropress cup)

The way it goes with most things, I usually get really into something than back off once I felt like I've learned enough about whatever that thing is.

These days, I rarely go over 1 cup a day. Sometimes I just have half a cup and throw the rest away. It's more about taste for me than caffeinenation.

Sometimes I'll just go a few weeks or month w/o drinking cause I don't want to be dependent on it. Another way I've tried is to drink a cup every other day or so.

Once in a while I'll drink more than 1 cup if I'm trying to impress someone at the coffeeshop.

In general, quality beans can be had for $10-15 for 12oz. Yes, the ones in the photo are 12oz. I think the one in the back was about $13.

I don't really drink cheaper stuff anymore although if I had some in the house I might try to drink it out. Don't think I'm that picky.

Last edited:
I think Whole Foods (Allegro Roasters) has a pretty good taste to price ratio. Although I don't think their beans smell/taste all that fresh for some reason. Maybe because they're left out in the open? I should try their pre-packaged stuff and see if there is a noticeable difference.

I also like the fact that I can just get $2-3 worth of coffee and try out everything there w/o breaking the bank.

Last edited:
While I'm at it, I'll also add that I think the smell test is a pretty good gauge of how much I'm going to like a bag of coffee beans. If it smells great, it usually tastes great.

Do a taste/smell test between a bag of beans that were just roasted vs one that's been sitting in your kitchen for a month. The difference I think is drastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb
One more.

Most people don't drink light roast because they it's weaker. This is completely false in some aspects.

Light roast actually has more caffeine content because you are not burning the coffee to death and squeezing all the life out of it.

It's like having a steak rare vs burned to a pulp.

I tend to think that the light roast has much more complex flavor and smell.

Give it a shot, side by side w/o any milk or sugar added.

Give it a shot, side by side w/o any milk or sugar added.
Is there a different way!? Coffee at your place next city ride?

I don't get crazy with grinding my own, but would love to try it. For me it's mostly in the brew method. I was always a French press kinda guy until I got a cheap espresso machine from my sister for Christmas. I've been playing around with that a bunch. I drink coffee any time of the day, and mostly for the flavor. The caffeine doesn't do anything for me when it comes to keeping me awake, but it does prevent morning headaches. I suppose I'm addicted by now or something. I'm perfectly content with a bag of espresso ground Starbucks dark roast. I even enjoy grocery store Bustello bricks. I do have some Guatemala coffee beans that my sister brought back in the Fall, and some Dominican coffee from my recent vacation I'd like to grind up and try.

i've been doing lavazza tierra intenso - on automagic from amazon.
2.2 lbs/mo if i don't have any company......

i fart around with grind, steep time, and water temp - makes a difference but never seems
to hit the 'oh wow' that i've read about. ~$10/lb.
61YzalrGsrL._SY679_.jpg

French dark roast by Starbucks (with french press) when I'm home. I just can't find anything else that would be more tasty. At work I drink french roast from Kurig machine...doesn't even taste like french roast.

2 weeks and beans start to die and get crappy, store it in a dark airtight container. if you want a high quality coffee get some beanz freshly roasted within the past week, and use it within a week. keep em whole and grind em as you use em. obviously thats best if you drink a lot or buy in smaller amounts

ill second the one cup a day, and the coffee for taste. that being said this morning and most mornings im drinking cuban style espresso out of a moka pot from pilon pre ground espresso. because im a lazy piece of shit.

if im not feeling so lazy tarrazzu at trader joes is good in a FP, stumptown is better. dont let them sell you a single origin for 2.5x the price, they all taste the same (at least to my pallette). when im feeling extra saucy ill use that for bulletproof coffee but thats really just a wintertime thing

"coffee should be dark as night, strong as hell, and sweet as love" - Turkish saying (aka words to live by)

Back
Top Bottom