What Bird Did You See Today?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Waiting for our grossbeaks to return this spring. This was last year. We are certified as a wildlife habitat yard by the wildlife federation. Want feeders but not the squirrels use safflower seed for most birds like cardinals grossbeaks nuthatches ect. Put whole peanuts in a tube screen feeder for peckers. And of course those hummer feeders out.20170507_221143.jpg20170504_112321.jpg20170812_174458.jpg20180521_125412.jpg20170717_141409.jpgIMG_1255.JPG

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also if your looking to draw in Orioles slice an orange in half and stick on a screw, screwed in on a railing. Other birds will also eat the orange but it will definitely bring in the Orioles.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Waiting for our grossbeaks to return this spring. This was last year. We are certified as a wildlife habitat yard by the wildlife federation. Want feeders but not the squirrels use safflower seed for most birds like cardinals grossbeaks nuthatches ect. Put whole peanuts in a tube screen feeder for peckers. And of course those hummer feeders out.View attachment 69303View attachment 69304View attachment 69305View attachment 69307View attachment 69308View attachment 69309
Yeah, we've gotten our hummingbirds back. Nice having their company.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mattybfat , good stuff. Your feeders, flowering plants and proximity to mooch attract a lot of interesting birds. Keep us posted on Grosbeak, we may be able to spot at Mooch once they return.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
These are awesome when you see them.

It is actually a moth!
Yeah we get a bunch every year hummer moth is what we call them. They are pretty cool.

This past year Christmas tree catch had 3 mantis casings which we disperesed around the yard. Yes we look for trees with these as they are very prevalent at this farm.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yeah we get a bunch every year hummer moth is what we call them. They are pretty cool.

This past year Christmas tree catch had 3 mantis casings which we disperesed around the yard. Yes we look for trees with these as they are very prevalent at this farm.

we hatched a mantis casing in an insect cage - waited about 1 day too long to release them and it went from 300 to about 25. i guess the strong survive!

Mountain Bike Mike

I saw three more Orioles today during a road ride before work... I don’t think I ever seen so many in our area as I have within the past year.

MMuller

This flew into the glass door where my wife does security at a High School. It appeared dead or dying. She picked it up and held it for 20 minutes protecting from the hordes of students and any predators. It eventually started moving and within 1/2 hour she released and it flew away. Sorta same thing she did with me and my injury. No intentions of flying away though. We're a couple of lucky birds....

healing bird.jpg

Top Bottom