What Bird Did You See Today?

serviceguy

I hear the chicadees when I'm mtbing, there call stands out more in the winter when not many other birds are around.
Gold finches are around but they not bright yellow in winter, there kind of a muted grayish yellow. I think some migrate but some stay as well.

Yep, the goldfinches showed up in numbers!

I am amazed y how the cardinals still haven't figured out how to feed off the feeder and just forage out of the seeds dropped on the ground by the other birds. I thought maybe the feeder is too small for them, but even the Jays feed from it now. Go figure.

serviceguy

Today we also had a red-bellied woodpecker, a family of Carolina wrens and white-brested nuthatch visit our bird feeder!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Since it is duck season.....
@PhantomVirus's kid is going all eagle scout and building wood duck boxes - wtf is a duck box?
dunno, but apparently the ducks do. if you could find it in your heart to throw a fin in the kitty
it would be appreciated. he is more of a roadie, so yeah.

https://www.gofundme.com/support-be...LJxDuotELHohrkkFNWMYZTiZYMB5b0uO8zQykgnQ0aDN4

1551307009443.png

BTW - my favorite duck is the common merganser. see one about every 5 years on the raritan.
duck with an attitude. Now the best part - this is a female. But the non-breeding males look the same!

1551307130272.png

serviceguy

Let's add the house finch to the collection...we may not be able to afford the seeds for all of the birds that showed up, they emptied the 2 lbs feeder in 3 days...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
wtf is a duck box?
These are everywhere, unfortunately the foxes also know what they are for also. 9 out of 10 boxes usually are habituated by screech owls, true story.
It's the same fate of the blue bird housing. If you dont stay on top of monitoring these boxes they usually end up with the wrong purpose.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I heard a lot of birds chirping while in the yard, trimming back the hydrangeas. Chicadees, woodpeckers, cardinals, robins, starlings, blue jays...

Also the Ospreys came back last week. I work in Neptune, this family nests on top of this cell tower on rt 33. These birds seem to be into the industrial loft thing.

ospry.jpg

Attachments

• 20190325_120341.jpg
    20190325_120341.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom