What Bird Did You See Today?

thegock

Friday, a female pheasant burst nearly straight up about 3 feet from my left grip. Big, brown and loud. Got this picture:

IMG_20180627_200719.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Red tails are common at the golf course where I work, this guy has a nest right behind the 4th green and is always squaking. My pic of squaker.
20180718_094544.jpg

Yesterday morning a little after 5:35am at work, in the light of dawn I saw a bald eagle fly over head. It's one of those quiet early morning moments at work that are so tranquil and peaceful.
Stock internet photo, I didn't want to spoil the moment fumbling for a camera, if you ever get a chance to view an eagle in flight, enjoy it.
bald-eagle-flight-3-2.jpg

echappy

Huge red tail hawk (I think) came screeching overhead while on a road ride. Pic doesn’t do it justice.
View attachment 73367
red tails are ginormous when you get close to them. Like a big domestic cat. One of them is actually right outside of my living room window as I type this. An adult pair nested on a tall evergreen (think really tall pine tree) in the back yard, and they brought up a pair of fledglings. Twice I've seen them kill squirrels. Lately they've become quite annyoing with the incessant screeching.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Situation hummingbird all messed up.

So we usually have a pair of hummingbirds at the house.
I guess word got out that we have the good sugar water and now we have at least 4, maybe 6 flying around having dogfights over the feeder.
IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

What do I do here @mattybfat
More feeders?

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Situation hummingbird all fouled up.

So we usually have a pair of hummingbirds at the house.
I guess word got out that we have the good sugar water and now we have at least 4, maybe 6 flying around having dogfights over the feeder.
View attachment 73811

View attachment 73812

More feeders?

Praying mantises - cull the herd

praying-mantis-catches-hummingbird-picture-2.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you ever get a chance to view an eagle in flight, enjoy it.

Years ago, before biking was a thing for me, I was hiking the AT up in Mass with @woody & other former roommate Cliffy. We were sitting on some overlook at the end of the day and looking down at the valley below. A bald eagle soared through the valley, below us, That was pretty awesome. This was before camera phones. So after the event we all carved rock drawings of the sighting.

With that I will leave you with a picture of a bald eagle shitting.

QKcLj.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
More feeders?
Yes in opposite locations.
So they are extremely territorial.
I once saw a client have a large pancake feeder with 5 on the feeder at one time. Once and only time I ever seen that. Their bickering and chasing is quite fun to sit back and watch doe.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes in opposite locations.
So they are extremely territorial.
I once saw a client have a large pancake feeder with 5 on the feeder at one time. Once and only time I ever seen that. Their bickering and chasing is quite fun to sit back and watch doe.
On the to-do list for today
IMG_2035.JPG

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw a lot of swans yesterday in the Barnegat bay. Me and my son launched kayaks at Lavelette and paddled north. Osprey were also abundant in their nests around the sedges, it's good to see them thriving.

This swan was very friendly and seems used to getting it's picture taken up close.
20180727_173704.jpg

I don't know the history of this dump between Lavelette and Toms River, I call it seagull poop house. The house is abandoned, I would guess it got damaged from Sandy and the owners walked away from it. It is literally in the middle of the bay on a small island. Who owns this land? Maybe it was deeded a long time ago and they were grandfathered in to build on it? It just seems environmentally ridiculous to have this house in the middle of the bay...although it is taken over by seagulls.
20180727_192441.jpg

Top Bottom