What are you cooking right now?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Revisiting the lasagna. Nothing meatless about this one.

25C38C15-5D2C-44CE-B537-51C7D24B8D01.jpeg

Also have some carne going. Somewhere up this thread I detailed cleaning a Pismo.
16A82D46-BCB9-48AF-AD50-42C5DC2CFAEE.jpeg

4AE474B6-4D01-42FC-8F78-F0E5DD99922E.jpeg

Beer choice, Lord Hobo Consolation Prize
2627C308-E728-4A24-8647-A0584891F7E0.jpeg
Music choice

? REO Speedwagon Hi Infidelity(Legacy Edition) Full Album HQ

1546117283699.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm showing this pic to wifey - we just made lasagna a few days ago (came out really good btw, too much sauce ruins it. She always insists that you shouldn't start with a layer of noodles

spray pan with pam, then a little sauce, then noodles. no cheese under the bottom noodle.
i've also softened the noodles with a quick boil, and added water around the edges at the end.

qclabrat

I'm showing this pic to wifey - we just made lasagna a few days ago (came out really good btw, too much sauce ruins it. She always insists that you shouldn't start with a layer of noodles
have you tried using a layer on no boil noodles on the bottom? Yes, they are Italian blasphemy, but does the trick. Also remember to drain the meat good of excess gravy.

rick81721

Lothar
have you tried using a layer on no boil noodles on the bottom? Yes, they are Italian blasphemy, but does the trick. Also remember to drain the meat good of excess gravy.

Wifey used to use all no boil noodles - I think they are crap - too thin/texture isn't right. But one layer on the bottom is an idea

ekuhn

Got a Salt Lick BBQ (https://saltlickbbq.com) meat package fror Christmas. Just had to heat it to 165*. I should have pulled it off a few minutes earlier as when it rested it climbed a bit. I’m new to the charcoal game, so it’s all a learning process. Sliced photo was from the middle of the brisket.

A9BC343C-E575-431B-8B04-724B38481D98.jpeg

663BB575-614A-4793-84AA-8509F4582300.jpeg

6F767834-9881-4AFC-9AA5-E1C9F7EE1EBB.jpeg

qclabrat

Got a Salt Lick BBQ (https://saltlickbbq.com) meat package fror Christmas. Just had to heat it to 165*. I should have pulled it off a few minutes earlier as when it rested it climbed a bit. I’m new to the charcoal game, so it’s all a learning process. Sliced photo was from the middle of the brisket.

View attachment 84303

View attachment 84301

View attachment 84302
I also primarily smoke with the same Weber kettle setup, what size was the brisket and how long did you keep it there and at what temp?
Also how did you lay out the charcoal? It will take some trial and error but the key is keeping the kettle to evenly cook with indirect heat. I have some tips if you are interested.
Looks pretty good, did you notice if the smoke ring was even across the entire brisket?

ekuhn

I also primarily smoke with the same Weber kettle setup, what size was the brisket and how long did you keep it there and at what temp?
Also how did you lay out the charcoal? It will take some trial and error but the key is keeping the kettle to evenly cook with indirect heat. I have some tips if you are interested.
Looks pretty good, did you notice if the smoke ring was even across the entire brisket?

It was a 4lb brisket, but previously smoked from Salt Lick. Directions to cook were to lay over a bed of charcoal with no flame. Smoke ring was right on the money and the bark was premio. Im going to be setting up some indirect for smoking some ribs soon. I also feel like I've watched every BBQ video on youtube over the Christmas break. I'd like some tips if you have them.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
It was a 4lb brisket, but previously smoked from Salt Lick. Directions to cook were to lay over a bed of charcoal with no flame. Smoke ring was right on the money and the bark was premio. Im going to be setting up some indirect for smoking some ribs soon. I also feel like I've watched every BBQ video on youtube over the Christmas break. I'd like some tips if you have them.

If you are just starting with smoking, pork butts are much more forgiving than briskets to human mistakes. That’s all I got.

qclabrat

I didn't catch that it was a precooked brisket, but Jeff Phillip's site is my go to for ideas and recipes.
https://www.smoking-meat.com/september-15-2016-smoked-brisket-for-game-day

as for a better indirect heat setup use fire bricks to contain the heat and avoid flare ups
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/heating-and-cooling/fireplaces/fireplace-accessories/4066171

qclabrat

If you are just starting with smoking, pork butts are much more forgiving than briskets to human mistakes. That’s all I got.
100%, almost impossible to screw up a butt, just don't put in direct heat or under cook it
For smoking not everyone likes to wrap in foil, but if folks don't have a BGE like you, give it a try to help manage the meat temp and moisture. Just remember to finish it off without foil to get the outsides just right. I'm getting hungry...
1546456575837.png

Top Bottom