What are you cooking right now?

JDurk

i don't watch the 'where food comes from' stuff. hard enough peeking into the kitchen of the local restaurant...
Good call, I worked in kitchen's at the shore during my college years. That's why I cook at home.

is it worse than any other farmed fish like salmon and trout? I try to buy wild caught whenever possible but sometimes not much to pick from
All farmed fish is questionable, but when tilapia was the subject of that episode, Mike Rowe made a comment that has stuck with me. Not that I don't eat other bottom feeding seafood.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

qclabrat

It’s a lot more complicated than wild caught vs farmed.
I know the comments are about Tillapia, but on sustainability and quality it’s not so cut and dry.
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/our-app
we use that resource quite a bit since visiting the aquarium a few years back
My point was that there's nothing wrong with either, just need to be an informed consumer and know how your fish were sourced

qclabrat

Put in 9 hours smoking today 6 hours on the ribs and 3 hours on the salmon under 200 degrees. One with a ginger soy glaze the other with a mango coconut glazeView attachment 92871
did you brine and dry? now's a good time as the nights are still cool for outdoor drying
looks good, hope you had more than these two pieces

BPaze

did you brine and dry? now's a good time as the nights are still cool for outdoor drying
looks good, hope you had more than these two pieces
Normally I will brine the ribs but was short on time did 5 racks. The salmon was an experiment I did a piece earlier with the ribs but it was a little dry so did these 2 later at lower temps for 3 hours. The piece I tried was pretty good but next time I may cure then smoke

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Normally I will brine the ribs but was short on time did 5 racks. The salmon was an experiment I did a piece earlier with the ribs but it was a little dry so did these 2 later at lower temps for 3 hours. The piece I tried was pretty good but next time I may cure then smoke

i've never brined ribs. overnight? just a saltwater brine?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Prepping the lamb for tomorrow
ED16F9BB-DCFA-431C-834B-DE02E5C09F6C.jpeg

2F9D5406-1227-4308-94C1-A335E4EFBFEA.jpeg

Hot damn. So psyched for this-
I love an Easter at the grill.

Per usual, MiL picked up the leg o lamb.
Once again, she nailed it-
9lbs for 5 people. Lol.
That should cover it.

Captain Brainstorm

is it worse than any other farmed fish like salmon and trout? I try to buy wild caught whenever possible but sometimes not much to pick from

Tilapia is a trash fish that someone figured out how to market outside of the developing world. Kind of like if figuring out how to market Sunnies, and tilapia is nutritionally one of the worst fish to eat. You can grow tilapia in a cesspool. I personally don’t eat any fresh water fish I haven’t caught myself out of clean water, except for smoked eel, and they’re anadromous. Stick to wild saltwater fish.

Top Bottom