What are you cooking right now?

It's weird.. I don't really cook, but I really like cooking shows. Maybe its just watching something being created? don't know.

do ya like to eat?
which is really why i learned to cook! just need to apply it to something other than the paula dean - sugar, butter, shortening base.......
hmm - biscuits and gravy for breakfast!

do ya like to eat?
which is really why i learned to cook! just need to apply it to something other than the paula dean - sugar, butter, shortening base.......
You forgot the grits with pound of pork belly. @pearl is gonna have a field day with Carolina vinegar based BBQ. Hint the dive with smoker out back is probably the best in town.

I tried to make the pad thai from the Skratch Labs blog and it sucked.

Thai food is becoming like beer to me. Why should I try to make it when theres a million places who make it awesome?

Last edited:
do ya like to eat?

Yes I love to eat! I've eaten at Paula's place in Savannah...it was a Sunday and they had the country buffet going.. ribs, fried chicken, biscuits, mashed potatoes etc.. it was great.. I didn't eat for a day and half after lol.. I totally pigged.

i'm trying to get this thing going...nobody cooks here?

tonight,

Citrus Trout Souse Vide

little s+p lemon oil, tangelo slices

View attachment 29863

Put it in the vacuum sealer.
View attachment 29865

Dropped it in the the water 60min @ 135F

View attachment 29867

in a nod to @Mountain Bike Mike, Put some beets and zukes through the spiralizer

View attachment 29866

They are getting roasted 5min @ 400f, then some feta, maybe some pine nuts or walnuts, and a little bit of lemon/vinegar dressing to pull it together.
should have worn those surgical gloves, hope i don't get pulled over the next couple days - or get beeturia -

View attachment 29869

Got some apples on the dehydrator for trail snacks tomorrow. will go nicely with the jerky.

View attachment 29868
Is that some kind of slow cooker/crock pot thing? I've seen fish steamed before inside one of the prior contraptions on foil or a wood plank in a steam basket, but haven't see this. Turn out good?

The best trout I've had was also split in the same manner with salt, pepper, and lemon slices, wrapped in foil, pretty much steaming on the top rack of a charcoal grill.

i'm trying to get this thing going...nobody cooks here?

tonight,

Citrus Trout Souse Vide

little s+p lemon oil, tangelo slices

View attachment 29863

Put it in the vacuum sealer.
View attachment 29865

Dropped it in the the water 60min @ 135F

View attachment 29867

in a nod to @Mountain Bike Mike, Put some beets and zukes through the spiralizer

View attachment 29866

They are getting roasted 5min @ 400f, then some feta, maybe some pine nuts or walnuts, and a little bit of lemon/vinegar dressing to pull it together.
should have worn those surgical gloves, hope i don't get pulled over the next couple days - or get beeturia -

View attachment 29869

Got some apples on the dehydrator for trail snacks tomorrow. will go nicely with the jerky.

View attachment 29868

we gots the exact same granite top, you get it at Stone King in Edison?
btw, how you like the spiralizer? I'm not allowed bring home cooking tools, most done old school
I'll bite and start posting Pat

Is that some kind of slow cooker/crock pot thing? I've seen fish steamed before inside one of the prior contraptions on foil or a wood plank in a steam basket, but haven't see this. Turn out good?

The best trout I've had was also split in the same manner with salt, pepper, and lemon slices, wrapped in foil, pretty much steaming on the top rack of a charcoal grill.

this is a Sous Vide style immersion cooker (heated water bath). lock in a final temp for the food, cook food long enough to reach that temp. the food is vac sealed with spices or marinade, so no contact with the water.
Differences for fish is minimal (opposed to high heat)- except for that pan seared stuff - which is a different style of cooking. Really interesting here is red meat - set at 127, and left there, the food never
cooks past medium-rare. Nice and pink. Pull it out, drop it in a hot skillet with a little oil to get a better look/nice crisp edges that add to the flavor, and away you go - no dealing with
the grill - drawback - 3-4 hours cooking time. Did a pork tenderloin on sunday, yummy.

Best trout is hooked cleaned wrapped in foil with a stick of butter on an open fire. Damn good right there.

Hell yeah, esp when it is cool outside, and yea eat it right out of the foil!

I see that's farm raise trout, any thoughts on farm raised vs. wild for any fish? Recently read tons on benefits of each and where it's sourced from. In the end, I don't freakin know what's the right direction, I trying to get the family to eat 2-3 nights a week of fish, but fish supply in NJ kinda sucks, NYC is better but still not great. The best fish I used to get regularly was from my uncle who went deep sea fishing 2-3 times a week, now the sea fish off of NJ is low and esp. my favorite which are blackfish off of the Manasquan inlet

we gots the exact same granite top, you get it at Stone King in Edison?
btw, how you like the spiralizer? I'm not allowed bring home cooking tools, most done old school
I'll bite and start posting Pat

I think that countertop was from MSI in edison. Fabrication by Tico's down in bridgewater.
The other countertop is from Cosmic in new brunswick
IMG_3971.JPG
yes, that is a football shaped lebanese bologna

Pull it out, drop it in a hot skillet with a little oil to get a better look/nice crisp edges that add to the flavor, and away you go - no dealing with
the grill - drawback - 3-4 hours cooking time. Did a pork tenderloin on sunday, yummy.
That's not a bad idea when you're having guests over for a BBQ and want to have some fancy meat available, quickly. Can you pre-cook, refrigerate, then do a quick sear for heat and visuals as long as it's on the same day? Looks like a cool gadget to pick up.

Spiralizer - it is kindofa toy. Probably should have gotten the stand mixer attachment. we made a zuke/apple/onion salad with a lemon/orange dressing -
flavors and crunch were perfect, and the kids love to play with it. I have a turnip and a rutabaga i'm attempting tonight (kid adverse veggies). want to try jicama too. really wanted it for curly fries, but it is a failure
for those. too small a cut.

I see that's farm raise trout, any thoughts on farm raised vs. wild for any fish? Recently read tons on benefits of each and where it's sourced from. In the end, I don't freakin know what's the right direction, I trying to get the family to eat 2-3 nights a week of fish, but fish supply in NJ kinda sucks, NYC is better but still not great. The best fish I used to get regularly was from my uncle who went deep sea fishing 2-3 times a week, now the sea fish off of NJ is low and esp. my favorite which are blackfish off of the Manasquan inlet

trout seems like a natural for farm raised - hell, they raise them, throw them in a river, i catch them, then eat them.....i can skip the middle steps!

I don't really have an opinion here - if they are frozen, i'd like to know the source. we don't have a good fish monger around here (??? do we ??) - i was amazed in seattle and vancouver.
guess metropolitan (next time i hit nassau or rv?) is close.

The supply sucks everywhere. Even the places that people say are really good, are really good only sometimes. Fresh fish is only fresh for so long. I would pick fish over meat any day, but unfortunately it's hard to find the good stuff. Sometimes I'll strike gold at local supermarkets, but more often I find discoloration and separating flesh. There's been a few times I had to go back and return some filets because they looked good enough to buy, but had a bad smell when I got it home. I feel like it's more of a demand issue than supply. They say how the oceans are being overfished, and that's probably true, but I believe that fish isn't as popular of a choice so there is much more supply being kept out for way too long and wasted, than consumed. The quality issue would also continually turn people away. Maybe I'm wrong.

I enjoy both wild and farm. Wild has good taste and texture, where farm is also good because it tastes fattier to me... not sure how to explain it better than that. Freshness is key.

That's not a bad idea when you're having guests over for a BBQ and want to have some fancy meat available, quickly. Can you pre-cook, refrigerate, then do a quick sear for heat and visuals as long as it's on the same day? Looks like a cool gadget to pick up.

probably would produce a cold/pink center. i purchased a self contained unit - they make them to drop in a tub, or pot, so the size of the vessel can vary with the meal
- anova is popular. http://store.anovaculinary.com/prod...yRqeMGwsSlFpOQWP62bDcgeme_SuO3lYcFhoCYF_w_wcB

one other benefit is cooking low fat meats - they don't dry out, cause the rendered fat can't escape. something like bison or ostrich.

any thoughts on farm raised vs. wild for any fish?
trout seems like a natural for farm raised - hell, they raise them, throw them in a river, i catch them, then eat them.....i can skip the middle steps!

I don't really have an opinion here - if they are frozen, i'd like to know the source. we don't have a good fish monger around here (??? do we ??) - i was amazed in seattle and vancouver.
guess metropolitan (next time i hit nassau or rv?) is close.
The supply sucks everywhere. Even the places that people say are really good, are really good only sometimes. Fresh fish is only fresh for so long. I would pick fish over meat any day, but unfortunately it's hard to find the good stuff. Sometimes I'll strike gold at local supermarkets, but more often I find discoloration and separating flesh. There's been a few times I had to go back and return some filets because they looked good enough to buy, but had a bad smell when I got it home. I feel like it's more of a demand issue than supply. They say how the oceans are being overfished, and that's probably true, but I believe that fish isn't as popular of a choice so there is much more supply being kept out for way too long and wasted, than consumed. The quality issue would also continually turn people away. Maybe I'm wrong.

I enjoy both wild and farm. Wild has good taste and texture, where farm is also good because it tastes fattier to me... not sure how to explain it better than that. Freshness is key.

I found this article interesting on the issue of sustainable fish- It's complicated,
not as simple as wild caught being better than farm raised.
The Piscivore's Dilemma

Not really cooking, but sorta
IMG_7909_zpsqnndrtxp.jpg

Then for dinner I tried out a Christmas present- poachpods
IMG_7917_zps7itsutzu.jpg

Nice- all done at the same time, and no draining.

we don't have a good fish monger around here (??? do we ??)

No! It might get a little better once the whole foods gets built in Bridgewater but even they their selection isn't always great. I only buy wild caught, but I admit I haven't done any recent research on the issue.

I've returned fish a few times too, the people at the customer service desk don't particularly seem to enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom