What are you cooking right now?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This man knows pasta he's from Florence Italy. DeCecco is also my goto when I need supermarket pasta.
Please drop some good brands, I'm willing to travel for it.

go to K&S on the 202/206 circle.
See if they have bucatini (it is a shape, not a brand.) a little harder to cook correctly, but worth it for transfer of sauce.

try not to spend the bicycle fund in there.

serviceguy

Yeah I googled it. Doesn't really make sense from a food processing POV. I imagine other factors such as ingredients used, recipe, processing and drying are what makes a difference, assuming there really is one.

Not sure why it wouldn't make sense, sure enough it wouldn't make a huge difference but anything help. Most important thing is that pasta needs to be done with durum wheat.
I am not a purist so I do not despise whole wheat either. Most Italians do....

This man knows pasta he's from Florence Italy. DeCecco is also my goto when I need supermarket pasta.
Please drop some good brands, I'm willing to travel for it.

Among the commercial brands DeCecco is the best in my opinion, other good commercial brands are Voiello and La Molisana.
For artisanal pasta you really need to go local, I am not entirely convinced by 'artisanal' product being mass marketed...

serviceguy

go to K&S on the 202/206 circle.
See if they have bucatini (it is a shape, not a brand.) a little harder to cook correctly, but worth it for transfer of sauce.

try not to spend the bicycle fund in there.

Bucatini are great, try 'bucatini all'amatriciana', possibly from a central Italy original recipe and not some northern italian poser chef who should probably stick to polenta...

'Pasta alla chitarra' is my personal favorite (hence my avatar), best if prepared with wild boar sauce.

I can only fantasize about all of the above now, I'm married to a british vegan woman...

qclabrat

Is it embarrassing to note my favorites are pastas like orecchiette, gemelli and trofie?
Never been a fan the thin spaghetti

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trader Joe's pappardelle is pretty good, at least to me. It's got the chew. I made cacio e pepe last week without any of that artisan salt and pepper that @qclabrat uses and it was awesome.

qclabrat

Trader Joe's pappardelle is pretty good, at least to me. It's got the chew. I made cacio e pepe last week without any of that artisan salt and pepper that @qclabrat uses and it was awesome.
you can afford to splurge with 2, I'm feeding a family of 6. When I make pasta for the club teams at the HS, they get Costco bulk Barilla and no fancy ingredients

serviceguy

Is it embarrassing to note my favorites are pastas like orecchiette, gemelli and trofie?
Never been a fan the thin spaghetti

Why would you? The very reason for that many types of pasta to exist is that someone felt like there was some room for improvement over some already existing type of pasta. I find perfectly normal if someone thinks that all pasta is the same.

Anyway, great selection right there, orecchiette are very good and are from Puglia (the heel of the italian boot) while trofie are from the north west coastal region of Liguria. I never had gemelli.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As promised, andouille mac and cheese.

For the longest time, cold weather comfort food included hot dogs and mac and cheese. Cut the dogs into nickels, fry them with Cajun powder, toss them with minced garlic and ketchup in some Kraft mac and cheese.

Well this is that, just adultified.
IMG_3242.JPG
(Sorry about the noodles @serviceguy
it was either this or Ronzoni)

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

Top it off with a healthy dose of Frank's Red Hot, and yum!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
img_3250-jpg.79014
Holy cheese batman! Are you the master chef of the house?

Speaking of hot dogs, I almost got this for Chip at Wallymart yesterday.
35356044-e38d-4f70-a640-b100011ea46c_1.72f713688e157578753e2a0fe3f02b5d.jpeg

serviceguy

As promised, andouille mac and cheese.

For the longest time, cold weather comfort food included hot dogs and mac and cheese. Cut the dogs into nickels, fry them with Cajun powder, toss them with minced garlic and ketchup in some Kraft mac and cheese.

Well this is that, just adultified.
View attachment 79011
(Sorry about the noodles @serviceguy
it was either this or Ronzoni)

View attachment 79012

View attachment 79013

View attachment 79014

View attachment 79015

Top it off with a healthy dose of Frank's Red Hot, and yum!

Jason, I'm not the pasta police...anyway, Barilla is still better then Ronzoni.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jason, I'm not the pasta police...anyway, Barilla is still better then Ronzoni.
Oh, I know, but I will be on the look out for Dicceco....

Holy cheese batman! Are you the master chef of the house?

Speaking of hot dogs, I almost got this for Chip at Wallymart yesterday.
35356044-e38d-4f70-a640-b100011ea46c_1.72f713688e157578753e2a0fe3f02b5d.jpeg
Most of the time it's me cooking,
simply because I finish earlier.
When E has a chance she enjoys cooking too.

And that is awesome. He would hate it.

serviceguy

But Ronzoni makes 'Merica great again....
only thing good about Barilla is that you can overcook it for 10 mins with no consequences

did you ever wonder why? J/K, it's the durum wheat that is supposed to make it more resistant to over cooking.

There's been a lot of controversy about the provenance of the wheat used by Barilla during the last few years, someone pointed to me in Italy that their use of foreign wheat may be a work around the GMO scrutiny and may have lead to the surge in gluten intolerance. Keep in mind Barilla is the most prominent pasta producer in Italy. I don't have any facts to corroborate though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom