What are you cooking right now?

rick81721

Lothar
I'll keep it in the back of the Pantry, close enough. We have a chili recipe from my father-in-law that we always make, but my wife and I talk about making something different every now and then. What do you have?

Make a real chili some day. Not the fake crap with beans and tomato sauce - just chilis, spices and meat. It's awesome!

Reactions: rlb

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll keep it in the back of the Pantry, close enough. We have a chili recipe from my father-in-law that we always make, but my wife and I talk about making something different every now and then. What do you have?
I've got a base black bean recipe (veggie friendly), and an easy adaptation that involves bacon, sausage and pork roll.
(Breakfast chili!)
I'll send it along- do you have the internets?

Reactions: rlb

rlb

I've got a base black bean recipe (veggie friendly), and an easy adaptation that involves bacon, sausage and pork roll.
(Breakfast chili!)
I'll send it along- do you have the internets?

No, smoke signals OK?

rob.blash at geeeeeeee mail

qclabrat

Pro tip for cutting ten pounds of onions, direct fumes away from work area and towards a open window or outside vent with a fan. I tear terribly without this. $50 of beef and the said onions for French onion soup.
IMG_20180513_100557.jpg

rlb

I just sampled some of my kimchi. I don't think I got enough fermentation going before I put it in the fridge. It was on the dining room table for 3 days (per the recipe) and it was definitely doing something because the jar lid was oozing. I did see some bubbles in the jar before going in the fridge too.

However when I opened it today there was no pressure in the jar. Also it was a bit flavorless, though I only ate from the very top.

Aside from not letting it sit out long enough, the cabbage gave out a decent bit of liquid when I was compressing it into the jar so maybe that diluted the sugar too much? Need to research it a bit further I suppose.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it's Sunday, this must be salmon...
IMG_0679.JPG
With orzo salad- roasted cherry tomatoes, feta, olives and lemon juice. Not pictured- green salad with avocados.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I just sampled some of my kimchi. I don't think I got enough fermentation going before I put it in the fridge. It was on the dining room table for 3 days (per the recipe) and it was definitely doing something because the jar lid was oozing. I did see some bubbles in the jar before going in the fridge too.

However when I opened it today there was no pressure in the jar. Also it was a bit flavorless, though I only ate from the very top.

Aside from not letting it sit out long enough, the cabbage gave out a decent bit of liquid when I was compressing it into the jar so maybe that diluted the sugar too much? Need to research it a bit further I suppose.
How much of the juice oozed out? Sometimes if too much juice is lost, it kills the flavor.

rlb

How much of the juice oozed out? Sometimes if too much juice is lost, it kills the flavor.

I'd estimate ~5 ounces over the 3 days. I need to eat more and get into the middle of the jar, maybe it'll be better

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Quesadilla night @ChezManic tonight
IMG_0725.JPG
A mix of pepper jack and pepper jack and chorizo.

Leftover chorizo and potatoes repurposed for breakfast eggs.
IMG_0726.JPG
Using eggs from our friend's farm in B-town.
IMG_0728.JPG
Eggs
IMG_0729.JPG
Dillas with all the fixins
IMG_0732.JPG

rlb

Nothing crazy on this gloomy Sunday, with just the Mrs. and me eating. 1/2 rack of St Louis ribs, slow cooked in the oven and sauced on the grill. Chicken cause 3 ribs is not enough!IMG_20180527_195540.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom