What’s the Fastest Tyre Size for Mountain Biking?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i wish strava could sort your attempts by which bike you were using (per what you assigned for that activity) so i could look back at it that way, would make sense to have a 'false' bike which is the same with different tire sizes . . .

veloviewer might have that.

CrankAddictRich

veloviewer might have that.

Yup... Veloviewer can do it. I have a segment on the road that I've done probably 200 times on 4 different bikes. I complied the data and made a chart showing how the data correlated between speed and aero bike vs. climber bike and the data definitely supported the fact that the aero bike gave an advantage. If you actively maintained the bike specifications data and kept the bikes updated on which tires you were running, it would be interesting to see if they could dig down deep enough and pull that data out, but I don't think they can right now.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yup... Veloviewer can do it. I have a segment on the road that I've done probably 200 times on 4 different bikes. I complied the data and made a chart showing how the data correlated between speed and aero bike vs. climber bike and the data definitely supported the fact that the aero bike gave an advantage. If you actively maintained the bike specifications data and kept the bikes updated on which tires you were running, it would be interesting to see if they could dig down deep enough and pull that data out, but I don't think they can right now.

seeing as how im more interested in how tire size affects my times i can make a 'dummy' bike on strava and assign the same specs with the exception of the tire size (wheel size too i guess) and just assign the dummy bikes to my rides to count which one is which and then compare times on say 29 vs 27.5 on the same bike (hell with the stache i could do 29+ too, that would be 3 bikes, yes im overthinking it)

Patrick

Staff member
That is the easy way to do it - not much help for historical data. i think my TB is listed 3 times with different wheel combinations.

actually started to think about an add-on to strava for maintenance logs awhile back. but it seemed like work.

rick81721

Lothar
seeing as how im more interested in how tire size affects my times i can make a 'dummy' bike on strava and assign the same specs with the exception of the tire size (wheel size too i guess) and just assign the dummy bikes to my rides to count which one is which and then compare times on say 29 vs 27.5 on the same bike (hell with the stache i could do 29+ too, that would be 3 bikes, yes im overthinking it)

Whaaa??

Mountain Bike Mike

I find the more grippy front tires like ardent, nic in a 2.4,2.35 which are rated slower based on weight and resistance are in fact faster than an Ikon or ralph in the front because I find myself not on the ground as much with the grippier tires.

I wash out the front all the time with those “fast” xc tires. Ikon, ralph in the front.

So for me, its more of a question of: Whats faster, staying upright and moving or laying on the ground? I choose grip in the front, speed in the rear.

Patrick

Staff member

ie:
stache 29r+ velociraptor/mountain king

then maybe he switches front and back tyres, it becomes a new bike on strava.
then he can look at "my results" for a segment, and find the fastest bike and tyre combo for specific bikes.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have two profiles for my XtC, 29er and 27.5+

rick81721

Lothar
ie:
stache 29r+ velociraptor/mountain king

then maybe he switches front and back tyres, it becomes a new bike on strava.
then he can look at "my results" for a segment, and find the fastest bike and tyre combo for specific bikes.

I sorta did that with the horsethief. I have it listed as 3 separate bikes - 27.5+3" tires, 29er, 27.5+2.8". Confounding the tIre size, however, is the change to carbon rims when I went to 2.8" tIres. Not that I ever went back to directly compare results.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is the easy way to do it - not much help for historical data. i think my TB is listed 3 times with different wheel combinations.

actually started to think about an add-on to strava for maintenance logs awhile back. but it seemed like work.

i did do that for the fuel (well its listed twice) when i got the 29r wheels, but not i have an actual use for it (if you can call it that)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Check this out...little more consistent testing imo
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

I guess when im setting up my XC bike for an actual race, ok its nice to have the fastest rolling tire that I can live with....meaning if im racing waywayanda, it will still survive the rocks....But outside of that, just put minions (or whatever your favorite tire is that has excellent grip and is durable) on and pedal harder.

Patrick

Staff member
I sorta did that with the horsethief. I have it listed as 3 separate bikes - 27.5+3" tires, 29er, 27.5+2.8". Confounding the tIre size, however, is the change to carbon rims when I went to 2.8" tIres. Not that I ever went back to directly compare results.

this is where a configuration/maintenance log would come in handy.

Top Bottom