What’s a race?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Would combining more classes make better racing? Maybe combine cat 1/2 45+. Kinda like you did with the SS class. Are there more ss guys registered now? Just looking for ways to grow racing.

there are plenty of people on the course no? you end up racing people not in your class, because they are about the same speed -
i get blown up in the open class races - can't compete with a pro. that isn't racing either.

growth isn't going to come from combining classes (IMHO) - it will come from people looking forward to racing and the event around it.
it will come from people that go to the event to watch and cheer, then decide to pin the number on, cause it looked great, and the day was a blast.
from a group that rides often, and then decides to line up
Something a family can enjoy, so one parent isn't disappearing for the day, while the other is "watching" the kids.
or
kids that grow up with the sport, and stick with it, cause that is what they do - rather than playing corporate slow pitch.

The mooch date was a tough one because it conflicted with a NICA race, and whatever the other one was? Fair hills?
nica takes the kid, and perhaps the parent that races away, double whammy.

then there is willingness to pay - if it were $100, included food, bevs, bike wash, lawn to hang out and watch the band.
plenty for the kids to do, a strolling magician, a large tent in case of hot sun or rain, lots of raffles, and whatever else
i could spend money on...how many would do it? If it was awesome, totally worth the $100, would ya do it again the next year?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
there are plenty of people on the course no? you end up racing people not in your class, because they are about the same speed -
i get blown up in the open class races - can't compete with a pro. that isn't racing either.

growth isn't going to come from combining classes (IMHO) - it will come from people looking forward to racing and the event around it.
it will come from people that go to the event to watch and cheer, then decide to pin the number on, cause it looked great, and the day was a blast.
from a group that rides often, and then decides to line up
Something a family can enjoy, so one parent isn't disappearing for the day, while the other is "watching" the kids.
or
kids that grow up with the sport, and stick with it, cause that is what they do - rather than playing corporate slow pitch.

The mooch date was a tough one because it conflicted with a NICA race, and whatever the other one was? Fair hills?
nica takes the kid, and perhaps the parent that races away, double whammy.

then there is willingness to pay - if it were $100, included food, bevs, bike wash, lawn to hang out and watch the band.
plenty for the kids to do, a strolling magician, a large tent in case of hot sun or rain, lots of raffles, and whatever else
i could spend money on...how many would do it? If it was awesome, totally worth the $100, would ya do it again the next year?
Well I see classes where one person is on the podium yet ss always had 5 or so minimum yet that was combined. I don’t get it.

RobW

Well I see classes where one person is on the podium yet ss always had 5 or so minimum yet that was combined. I don’t get it.
not everyone can stay around for podium pics....also... would you take that same thought and think ss is dead?

Patrick

Staff member

wouldn't the decline in the popularity of single-speed racing be the cause of classes to combine? if a significant number of people from each category
signed up, it would justify its own categorized race.

it still isn't a race if i had to line up against you,
even tho the number of participants in that race is higher.
you'd never see me after your first pedal stroke. so still not racing.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
wouldn't the decline in the popularity of single-speed racing be the cause of classes to combine? if a significant number of people from each category
signed up, it would justify its own race.

it still isn't a race if i had to line up against you,
even tho the number of participants in that race is higher.
you'd never see me after your first pedal stroke. so still not racing.
Not sure but that combination drove every single cat 1 ss guy away.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave, racing categories did not kill SSing

Racing categories will not create an upswing in racers.

Give this a rest for fucks sake, you beat this drum last year. All you do is whine about the lack of numbers at races. MTB racing is down trending, I feel a constructive discussion to change this trend is moot with you.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Dave, racing categories did not kill SSing

Racing categories will not create an upswing in racers.

Give this a rest for fucks sake, you beat this drum last year. All you do is whine about the lack of numbers at races. MTB racing is down trending, I feel a constructive discussion to change this trend is moot with you.
So just don’t discuss at all and let it die completely.

Patrick

Staff member

the combination, or lack of people to race ?

the cause of the combination is lack of racers, not the other way around....

or is it that they decided on the cat 2 distance?

i'd venture that if every race could get 10+ cat 1 SS, and 10+ cat 2/3 ss there would be two races.

RobW

wait wait wait..... dave, youre a cat 1 SS guy but you also race in open/pro- why question anything as you have you own reasons/paths you race that class...

Patrick

Staff member
Do you think SSAP could make a return?

it was $75 and 260 people raced in 2017. 300 in 2016. (that is a bad trend.....)

the reason stated was it was a hassle getting permits, and dealing with the user groups.

well what if the person was paid for the hassle? make it $100, and pay the point person and team $7,500 to do the work?
why does everything have to be done by a volunteer group?
volunteers are for race day to give out water, or point which way to go at a tricky intersection.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The problem is you never get a solution to a problem on here. Only an excuse. Super prestige had 187 pre reg for a short track race. They are doing something right up in Ct.

RobW

The problem is you never get a solution to a problem on here. Only an excuse. Super prestige had 187 pre reg for a short track race. They are doing something right up in Ct.
maybe people are moving away so they don't have to race you.!:p

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
if us people who enjoy bike racing had the solution, you wouldn't even have to make this thread

you see tons of different approaches, shorter races, free entries, big payouts/no payouts, free food, everyones trying something. whats your solution? it seems that hilltop is putting on the mooch race, maybe you'll get big numbers?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
if us people who enjoy bike racing had the solution, you wouldn't even have to make this thread

you see tons of different approaches, shorter races, free entries, big payouts/no payouts, free food, everyones trying something. whats your solution? it seems that hilltop is putting on the mooch race, maybe you'll get big numbers?
Maybe not, but I’ll keep throwing ideas out there. The promoter community doesn’t seem to take well to constructive criticism it seems though. And for the record I support the shit out of the local race scene. I average about 20-25 races a year.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you think SSAP could make a return?
I do...SSAP was a perfect mix of event and race....on top of being at a location with a great fun factor. That part i think would work....making the party as good as the original is another story.....Mike, George and Rave did a great job with the food, vibe and the little things....Ice cream...money on the course....trophies were the best I have ever seen at any race. I never once felt bad about spending $75 at that race...My god the (2) 2nd place trophies I have from that race had to cost more than $100 each.

We get TONS of people for short track, sadly its hard to run a race when the course is buried in snow. Im sure if we ran one next month we would get good attendance, but its a little more complicated than that.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Maybe not, but I’ll keep throwing ideas out there. The promoter community doesn’t seem to take well to constructive criticism it seems though.
i think it may be because these guys and gals are busting their ass to bring a solid product with, at best, a pat on the back for their efforts. instead of supporting it or being excited about it, its always "you should do XYZ" or something like that. its a thankless deal.

im not saying you are guilty of this, but I think after seeing the efforts on the other side of the table from putting on the mooch race, you may have better view/full scope of it all.

Top Bottom