Wharton Conditions

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
A Big Thank Youse to Moray42, DavesNHere, and uncle Pibbles for their work today. Moray42 cleaned the drainage nicks, clipped back face slappers and generally made the first several miles of trail much better. Dave and Pibbles rode the whole PBT w/ axe 'n saw and removed seven (eight? nine?) of the large blowdowns from this winter's storms. Including that double trunked oak. Awesome.

Davesnhere

Piosenka-Drwala.jpg

Last edited:

Rich_W

Heads up there are some deep ruts from Enduro motorcycles cut into the fire breaks out on Orange. My girlfriend got bruised up pretty good going over the bars on Saturday when she caught her front wheel crossing a fire break. Why the fuck Enduro motorcycles are wailing up the firebreaks is beyond me.

Last edited:

Davesnhere

Heads up there are some deep ruts from Enduro motorcycles cut into the fire breaks out on Orange. My girlfriend went over the bars on Saturday when she caught her front wheel cross a fire break. Why the fuck Enduro motorcycles are wailing up the firebreaks is beyond me.

I almost went over the bars myself on one of these today... Going to try to get out there with a shovel next Sunday b4 somebody gets really hurt... I have noticed a lot of dirt bikes out there going excessively fast, and in fact a few weeks ago I was almost run down by a few... They really need to start ticketing these morons before they kill someone!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There are one, two, maybe three, enduro motorcycle competition events that run thru Wharton Forest every year. These MC events in Wharton Forest pre-date the *invention* of mountain biking by decades. And at least one of these events certainly pre-dates the Batsto area MTB trails by over 50 years. The MCs have been probly using those same firecuts for that same half century.

Wharton Forest is enjoyed by many user groups. Many of these same user groups also contribute many volunteer hours to the forest. Within the larger big-picture view of Wharton Forest's volunteers, stakeholders, and user-groups, it is counterproductive to bash other user groups.

Davesnhere

There are one, two, maybe three, enduro motorcycle competition events that run thru Wharton Forest every year. These MC events in Wharton Forest pre-date the *invention* of mountain biking by decades. And at least one of these events certainly pre-dates the Batsto area MTB trails by over 50 years. The MCs have been probly using those same firecuts for that same half century.

Wharton Forest is enjoyed by many user groups. Many of these same user groups also contribute many volunteer hours to the forest. Within the larger big-picture view of Wharton Forest's volunteers, stakeholders, and user-groups, it is counterproductive to bash other user groups.

I didn't mean to bash anyone here.... Maybe I shouldn't call them "morons"... But when you're nearly run over 3 times within a half mile by bikes going excessively fast (well over the safe speed limit) you tend to get a little upset. I think that these ruts were not made during any competition, and in fact appeared recently which would make it afterwards. I'm sorry if I offended anyone...

pibbles

Then I imagine you'll get it done quickly as it caused injury.
Ahem! You are just as capable as clearing a branch and filling in a hole or removing a faceslapper as we are. Some people volunteer, some don't, we get it. We don't need people dictating to us what needs to be done and what you do or don't approve of. Tm dates are listed amd you are welcome to participate or to "train" if you'd rather do that. It's a state forest. Look both ways before crossing another path, take the headphones out and use common sense. Don't get crappy with the people maintaining the trail, we have axes....

Rich_W

Ahem! You are just as capable as clearing a branch and filling in a hole or removing a faceslapper as we are. Some people volunteer, some don't, we get it. We don't need people dictating to us what needs to be done and what you do or don't approve of. Tm dates are listed amd you are welcome to participate or to "train" if you'd rather do that. It's a state forest. Look both ways before crossing another path, take the headphones out and use common sense. Don't get crappy with the people maintaining the trail, we have axes....

A. Who's getting crappy? Quite honestly feels like its the other way around.
B. I mentioned an injury and apparently it resonated with no one. I posted to warn others to avoid other injury.
C. I clear tons of shit off that trail.
D. Don't appreciate being threatened with violence.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok this is quickly & obviously non-productive. We should go ahead and put a cap on this now.

R Treb

Eesh, was just going to be an innocent bystander. Until I saw the "passion" in those above posts. I know some mountainbikers are former dirtbikers, my Dad for instance was. iam not calling anybody out in particular but, there are a few also that are now the main people clearing the trails nowadays at Batsto as caretakers basically. I have a lot respect for them...Or him (thanks for all you do) .That being said, I think we can agree that if a dirt bike hits the single track out there we will do our best to report it to Batsto as a possible danger to hikers and non motorized bikers respectfully.

Oz Von Toco

So I heard this place drains exceptionally well. Anyone think that it may be rideable tomorrow (or anywhere in jersey for that matter). Or maybe I'm better off saving my comp day for next week?

moray42

Merman
So I heard this place drains exceptionally well. Anyone think that it may be rideable tomorrow (or anywhere in jersey for that matter). Or maybe I'm better off saving my comp day for next week?
Save the day. Not a chance that it’ll be dry. Multiple days of rain dumped here already, and it is supposed to continue thru the weekend.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions