Wharton Conditions

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
A friend rode this morning when it was frozen. Still some snow out there, and tons of trees down. He got through orange but said it was a lot of dismounting. Started softening up as he was leaving. Get it early.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There is a motorcycle enduro in the forest tomorrow, Sunday 3/18/18. Leave your earbuds at home and remember to look both ways before crossing the sand roads.

moray42

Merman
What's the word? Interested in riding Saturday morning or should I wait until Sunday? @moray42 @slingblade_uhhuh
I couldn’t say anything definitive, but I don’t have a great feeling about Saturday. Most of the snow around here is already melted, but it’s really mushy out right now. I expect even more dismounts now too. Seen more tree damage in the area from this storm than the last. Going to be a fair amount of recovery work coming up soon.

Rocks & Water

Thanks, will wait until Sunday morning and go explore.
John I was at Estell yesterday and it wasn't bad. A bit on the soft side but not muddy. The fire cuts were filled with water though but you can get around. It might give you a idea on how Wharton might be.

Davesnhere

Yesterday I rode(but mostly walked) From Batsto to the bridge detour on the orange trail then took the double track back...Green, Blue, and Orange are un-rideable due to all the trees down, and are also full of slushy water...
If you need to get a ride in, I would suggest the double-track to allow the trails to dry/drain...
I'm heading out there Sunday to hike in and remove as many of the blow-downs as I can....

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Yesterday I rode(but mostly walked) From Batsto to the bridge detour on the orange trail then took the double track back...Green, Blue, and Orange are un-rideable due to all the trees down, and are also full of slushy water...
If you need to get a ride in, I would suggest the double-track to allow the trails to dry/drain...
I'm heading out there Sunday to hike in and remove as many of the blow-downs as I can....

Second that. The Mayhem MTB Race is a short drive from the Atsion side of the WSF and was cancelled due to trail conditions. I believe Dave when he says there are many pine branches down and the trail is a sand slurry.

The SE part of the state didn't catch as harsh a wallop as the rest. If the Estell was in good shape like R&W mentioned, there's a good chance Belleplain State Forest will be nice to ride.

If you do need to ride Wharton, the sand roads will be a good option like Dave says. The sand roads are listed on maps, and can provide a roadie type *cadence* ride if thats what you need. Up 'n back Quaker Bridge road at pace will do it. Or maybe a mellow fun ride down the sand roads to scenic and/or historic points. I recently re-read John McPhee's Pine Barrens book, and can confirm that if you're good with a map, you can find them all. :)

pibbles

Second that. The Mayhem MTB Race is a short drive from the Atsion side of the WSF and was cancelled due to trail conditions. I believe Dave when he says there are many pine branches down and the trail is a sand slurry.

The SE part of the state didn't catch as harsh a wallop as the rest. If the Estell was in good shape like R&W mentioned, there's a good chance Belleplain State Forest will be nice to ride.

If you do need to ride Wharton, the sand roads will be a good option like Dave says. The sand roads are listed on maps, and can provide a roadie type *cadence* ride if thats what you need. Up 'n back Quaker Bridge road at pace will do it. Or maybe a mellow fun ride down the sand roads to scenic and/or historic points. I recently re-read John McPhee's Pine Barrens book, and can confirm that if you're good with a map, you can find them all. :)
Good time

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Good time to remind everyone that trail maint is coming up next weekend on the 1st. Come work up an appetite for your evening ham and help out. Thank you. That is all.
2018 Spring Cleaning April 1 and April 15

The past winter's storms have not been kind to the Batsto mtb trails. To remediate, we have two Spring Cleaning days scheduled in April. That's when the trail tread will be repaired, drainage nicks cleared, turns de-berm'd, face slappers clipped and deadfalls given the heave-ho.

Meet at the trailhead at 9:00 am. We'll be back to the parking lot by 12:30 pm. All are invited. Tools, work gloves and water provided. Bring your favorite work shoes, a sense of humor, and maybe a snack. We'll be following up with more dates as we work our way around to the trouble spots.

A big thank you to Kevin and Jackie (JORBA-Atlantic County Chapter) for their recent saw work on the Huckleberry (blue) Trail!

pibbles

For the trail maintenance, should we bring bikes, or are we walking/ hiking/driving in?
That is a great question! I'm guessing that it depends on how many show up, but usually a few of us ride in with saws that way we clear alot out of the way for the b.o.b. trailer. If @slingblade has other plans like hiking in and doing nicks first the jorba trailer is there for you to throw your bike in. I'm bringing my bike either way to get a ride in.

Davesnhere

That is a great question! I'm guessing that it depends on how many show up, but usually a few of us ride in with saws that way we clear alot out of the way for the b.o.b. trailer. If @slingblade has other plans like hiking in and doing nicks first the jorba trailer is there for you to throw your bike in. I'm bringing my bike either way to get a ride in.
Sounds good,will bring bike (just don't want to leave it in truck, or outta my sight)...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions