Wharton Conditions

For the record, Kurt did answer my question. I've ridden the sand road loops in the past, I usually do them in the summer a few times when things get bushy in the single track.
I took a friend this past Sat to show her the loop and it wasn't too bad...the roads that is. A recent rain helped pack down the roads a little. We did stop for a couple of photos and saw the bright pink signs stating that the trails were closed. No mistaking those, for anyone that doesn't use the internet.

We did notice new plastic sign posts were already installed off of Quaker Bridge on the orange loop.

Attachments

• NoBatsto.jpg
    NoBatsto.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 336
For the record, Kurt did answer my question. I've ridden the sand road loops in the past, I usually do them in the summer a few times when things get bushy in the single track.
I took a friend this past Sat to show her the loop and it wasn't too bad...the roads that is. A recent rain helped pack down the roads a little. We did stop for a couple of photos and saw the bright pink signs stating that the trails were closed. No mistaking those, for anyone that doesn't use the internet.

We did notice new plastic sign posts were already installed off of Quaker Bridge on the orange loop.

Which record are we talking about counselor? :D

Update on the Temporary closure.

The Batsto area hiking trails remain Temporarily closed. All of the bicycle trails remain Temporarily closed. All of the sand roads are open.

Second hand reports from hikers on other forums tell that assesment/remediation of fire damage on the Batona Hiking Trail is underway.

I am unable to find a WSF staffer that knows when either the hiking or biking trails will reopen. A hiker's 8/28/17 query on the official Wharton Forest FaceBook page asking when the hiking trails will reopen remains unanswered.

FWIW: Bow season (and the license revenue it provides) starts at the end of September.

JORBA's Wharton Forest chapter has only recently been allowed back on the trail alongside Forestry staff. The Forestry pre-reqs for re-opening the trails as were told have been satisfied and an OK has been given from upper WSF staff. Expect to ride soon, if not sooner. Thanks. https://www.jorba.org
In the all about me category; Am I cleared for the Wharton 40 on Oct. 21?

After much work Iam pleased to announce that the bike trails at Wharton/Batsto are good to go. Interesting to see some areas that burned really hot and the trees are already making a comeback (new growth). The forestry staff removed many dangerous trees and we cleaned up alot of debris littering the trails. Be mindful of the bridge closure and follow the detour around it,and stay tuned for tm dates...we could use some help with some clipping,and thanks to everyone that pitched in to get this done!

So According to the folks at Batsto Village Office - MTB trails here are Closed. Are they misinformed?

I do see all the pink signs saying trails are closed are gone.

Can anyone clear this up?

So According to the folks at Batsto Village Office - MTB trails here are Closed. Are they misinformed? I do see all the pink signs saying trails are closed are gone. Can anyone clear this up?

FWIW: Signs saying the Batona Hiking Trail was re-opened were posted in the Batsto office on September 25. But if you call that same office, they will still tell you that the Batona is closed. Sometimes good news travels slow.

FWIW: Signs saying the Batona Hiking Trail was re-opened were posted in the Batsto office on September 25. But if you call that same office, they will still tell you that the Batona is closed. Sometimes good news travels slow.

Who's responsible to inform them? Just odd all the signs are down, but the staff behind the desk have heard nothing.

I rode the orange loop Sat afternoon. The portions that were burned the hottest looked really cool. You can see forever, almost. Those sections run fast too!

Thank you for your patience. We're nearly done replacing all the burnt forestry posts (two more out of 30+) and working on replacing all the melted marker disks.

We're planning on an ad hoc trail work day for 10/29/17. DM for details if you want to help.

The burnt PBT long bridge will likely be replaced sometime in 2018. Watch this string, or DM for details if you want to help. ($$ will be needed.)

If you have complaints comments questions about the Batsto MTB trails, or would like to help with the Batsto MTBTrails, please post it here, or DM me, or DM one of the other usual suspects. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions